What is/was your favorite non EM rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Your favorite non EM rotation (currently or in the past):

• FP

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • IM

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Cardiology

• MICU

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • IM Subspecialty

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Surgery

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Orthopedics

• Surgical Subspecialty

• Neurosurgery

• Psychiatry

• OB/GYN

• Pediatrics

• Pathology

• Anesthesia

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • Radiology

• Trauma Surgery

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.

Believe it or not, I would have gone into Psychiatry if I didn't like EM. I jsut got off an Anesthesia rotation for two weeks, that MIGHT have been a distant third...

Q, DO

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Pathology"? Who does a pathology rotation in an EM residency? My psych rotation was easy and dull. I spent fair amount of time in the weight room that month though.

My trauma months were great. Heavy on the workload, but good on the procedures and patient management. It was just me and one (or sometimes two) surgery residents handling the trauma, along with whatever private attending was on that day. We pretty much handled all the trauma ICU patients ourselves, which was interesting and fun.

Gas all the way. If it weren't a 1+3 residency, I would've applied to a few. Great lifestyle, lots of procedures, you get to wear PJ's. Lots of cons of course (ie: REPETITION), but for me it was #2.

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Just curious.

Believe it or not, I would have gone into Psychiatry if I didn't like EM. I jsut got off an Anesthesia rotation for two weeks, that MIGHT have been a distant third...

Q, DO

Werid...That's exactly what I was going to do.

"Pathology"? Who does a pathology rotation in an EM residency?

I believe that it's part of the curriculum in the Grand Rapids, MI program through MERC/MSU.

No question ICU. In fact if I hadn't already been in school forever I would have done one of the combined EM/IM/CC programs.

Cards - the undisputed king of CP/SOB workup. Ahhh, there's nothing like an f'd up EKG to get me going... Gas was a strong second place though.

Originally posted by NinerNiner999
Cards - the undisputed king of CP/SOB workup. Ahhh, there's nothing like an f'd up EKG to get me going... Gas was a strong second place though.

I liked anesthesia and SICU as a student.

OB/GYN by far... Very very conservative people, so the females did'nt let the male students come near them... we ended up sitting and doing absolutely nothing... that was the best!
- samdaman

Wow, we like everything. What a surprise.:cool:

Casey

easily my favorite was GI Medicine. Followed closely in second with ENT Surgery. Those guys work with some pretty interesting anatomy.