What is wrong with this set of prescription orders?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a message from my doctor's line at work today. The only thing changed are the names of the parties involved and the phone number given.

What things can you find wrong with this?

"Hi. This is Laura from Dr. Coleman's office. I have a new prescription here. Actually, it's 3 prescriptions. It's for prednisone 20 milligrams p.o. daily times 7 days. Dispense number 30. The next medication is taper. 50 40 30 20 10 0. The third prescription is Dalmane 30 number 15. 1 p.o. q hour (mumbing in background). Oh, scratch that. 1 p.o. qhs. The patient's phone number is 360-555-4655. This is Laura from Dr. Coleman's office. Thank you."

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:

[/I]

Is there anything right about it?

If you are in a good mood call them up. If you are in a bad mood hit delete and carry on.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
This is a message from my doctor's line at work today. The only thing changed are the names of the parties involved and the phone number given.

"Hi. This is Laura from Dr. Coleman's office. I have a new prescription here. Actually, it's 3 prescriptions. It's for prednisone 20 milligrams p.o. daily times 7 days. Dispense number 30. The next medication is taper. 50 40 30 20 10 0. The third prescription is Dalmane 30 number 15. 1 p.o. q hour (mumbing in background). Oh, scratch that. 1 p.o. qhs. The patient's phone number is 360-555-4655. This is Laura from Dr. Coleman's office. Thank you."

I'd just assume the patient was me because the nurse didn't specify. Give myself, eh who cares about the steroid, like 7 of 'em, whatever, I'll put them on file. Then I'd ASSUME she meant the taper dose was for Xodol, so I'd dispense myself 15 Xodol 10/300. Then I'd assume the Dalmane really was q1h, assume she wanted to dispense a 90 day supply of 1080 Dalmane. I would then go over to a shady corner of High St. in Morgantown and sell my goods to the highest bidder. I think that's pretty consistent with state law.

The other day I had "Ceftin 250mg/5ml, Sig 3.5 teaspoonsfull BID x 10d." for a 3-year old girl. (=1750mg/day) The adult max dose is around 1000mg/daily.

Paged the Dr. on call... "Oh, the nurse meant 3.5mL BID, not 3.5 teaspoons.. thanks"

and

Augmentin 875 BID x 14 days for a patient with a penicillin allergy. Turns out, the patient had "Requested" that specific drug from her dr's office so they ok'ed it without really looking. She got Macrobid instead.. after a phonecall or two. ;) PS. Augmentin for UTI?!? Why?

We kept listening to this message and laughing at it. I cannot believe the girl who left it thought that "taper" was the name of a medication. It was a good thing I had gone to the bathroom just prior or I'm pretty sure I would have pissed my pants while laughing. :D

This morning our pharmacist is going to call and ask who the patient is supposed to be and WTF they really want. I think the wrong pharmacy may have been called anyway, because the only patient I had on file at that phone number had not been in for like 3 years. We'll see. :rolleyes:

bananaface said:
We'll see. :rolleyes:

I had an error last week get by me to the customer. The entire family came in to rub my nose in it. I have an inexperienced tech who was struggling with
some bad handwriting and the family wanted to know how to properly apply the cream. The sig on the offending label follows:

Apply twice daily to drum​

umm that shoulda been arm :eek:

bananaface said:
D'oh!

Everyone makes mistakes. And sometimes they slip by. It's just a matter of when it will happen and what the result will be. Here's to staying vigilant and hoping for the best.

Heh. How about using nitrofurantoin instead of nystatin in Leukemic mouthwash? It's supposed to be 1/3 nystatin, 1/3 diphenhydramine, and 1/3 viscous lidocaine. The nitrofurantoin and nystatin were in neighboring bins and both are yellow. Luckily, I caught the mistake, but only after it had been checked by a pharmacist and mixed together.

I was once involved in a drug selection error that nearly killed a peds patient. In the end, he just ended up with a few extra days on the respirator. It was back when I was new to the IV room. I was unfamiliar with a drug and asked the pharmacist on duty to help me select the correct product. We picked wrong and ended up filling regular amphotericin instead of the lipid complex. There was an issue with "lipid complex" being printed in the Rx label notes but not in the drug name. The rest of the staff treated me rather oddly afterwards. It made me appreciate that nobody is infallible.

Retrospectively, the person who got hurt the most in the incident was the pharmacist on duty that day. She ended up leaving the job, believing she was not worthy of caring for her patients anymore. I learned and moved on pretty quickly. I think the people around me were expecting me to be all distraught like she was, and judged me for not being so.

We have the ability to kill people on a daily basis. It takes a big person to admit that they make them and to be willing to stand up and deal with the consequences. But, we are in this field to be big people.

bananaface said:
I was once involved in a drug selection error that nearly killed a peds patient. In the end, he just ended up with a few extra days on the respirator. It was back when I was new to the IV room. I was unfamiliar with a drug and asked the pharmacist on duty to help me select the correct product. We picked wrong and ended up filling regular amphotericin instead of the lipid complex. There was an issue with "lipid complex" being printed in the Rx label notes but not in the drug name. The rest of the staff treated me rather oddly afterwards. It made me appreciate that nobody is infallible.

Retrospectively, the person who got hurt the most in the incident was the pharmacist on duty that day. She ended up leaving the job, believing she was not worthy of caring for her patients anymore. I learned and moved on pretty quickly. I think the people around me were expecting me to be all distraught like she was, and judged me for not being so.

We have the ability to kill people on a daily basis. It takes a big person to admit that they make them and to be willing to stand up and deal with the consequences. But, we are in this field to be big people.
Too bad you're not my patient! bwahahahaha :smuggrin:

Caverject said:
Too bad you're not my patient! bwahahahaha :smuggrin:

You giving her Caverject injection?

Caverject said:
naa...id go step up to the 5-pde with her nitro drip.

That gives me a nasty Headache..just thinking about it. :smuggrin:

bananaface said:
We kept listening to this message and laughing at it. I cannot believe the girl who left it thought that "taper" was the name of a medication. It was a good thing I had gone to the bathroom just prior or I'm pretty sure I would have pissed my pants while laughing. :D

That is absolutely hilarious!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am going to start prescribing "taper" to all of my patients. :thumbup:

bananaface said:
:love: Beary! :love:

You had better not. You want to pass your rotations! :p

:love: banana :love:

I'm coming over here to visit ya. And to learn some awesome prescribing skillz. :D