You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
What is your current desired specialty?
Started by nysegop
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Neurology, because if I were to do an MD/Ph.D and tried to become a Neurosurgeon, I would be an attending at 35/36 years old.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Neurology, because if I were to do an MD/Ph.D and tried to become a Neurosurgeon, I would be an attending at 35/36 years old.
Very good point, and neurology seems pretty interesting. I'm thinking general surgery just because they get a lot of interesting cases. Trauma surgery would be pretty interesting too.
Neurosurgery, trauma surgery, plastics or pediatrics....
Oh, also Reconstructive Rearfoot/Ankle Surgery in Podiatric Surgery.
Seems like Neurology is pretty popular.
Everyone loves some good brains.
*Cough* zombies *cough*

Peds surgery all the way. 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in pediatrics, and would be interested in going into neonatology. But I'm just in high school and open to anything(except surgery) haha
Haha very cool. For me it's like the exact opposite. I'm essentially only thinking surgery or Emergency Medicine. I would consider Anesthesiology but I'd much prefer Surgery. But as you say, we're just in high school. For all I know I might not even be into medicine in three years.
I'm surprised nobody is into Aerospace medicine.
Anesthesiology, emergency med., oncology, psychiatry, radiology.
It's a tough bastard to get in to.I'm surprised nobody is into Aerospace medicine.
Defiantly emergency medicine/trauma surgery.
why don't you make a thread about career alternatives to medicine, nysegop?
Neurosurgery, trauma surgery, plastics or pediatrics....
Why do you wish to persue a career in Neurosurgery?
mmmcdowe
Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
I'm surprised that the poll isn't 25% neurosurgery. The typical SDN breakdown always seems to 25% neurosurgery, 25% er, 25% pediatrics, and 25% more neurosurgery.
Must be all of the sane lurkers out there.
Must be all of the sane lurkers out there.
I'm surprised that the poll isn't 25% neurosurgery. The typical SDN breakdown always seems to 25% neurosurgery, 25% er, 25% pediatrics, and 25% more neurosurgery.
Must be all of the sane lurkers out there.
25% Peds until they realize their love for money and they realize how much their med school tuition is...
Neurosurg until someone tells you about their lifestyle

Docs are probably going to get way busier over the next 20 years.
why don't you make a thread about career alternatives to medicine, nysegop?
Sounds good. haha
25% Peds until they realize their love for money and they realize how much their med school tuition is...
Neurosurg until someone tells you about their lifestyle![]()
Guess we're starting to realize we may want more lax time as generations pass.... or getting lazy, idk which yet
You left out one of the best specialties, Radiology.
You left out one of the best specialties, Radiology.
oooooooopppppppppssssssss

.
Last edited:
Neurosurg until someone tells you about their lifestyle![]()
The lifestyle isn't as bad as it sounds. Think about it this way, pick your favorite hobby e.g. music, video games, sports. Now, do that 80 hours a week. Does that seem unrealistic? Perhaps a little, but for those of us in it, that's how it feels much of the time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The lifestyle isn't as bad as it sounds. Think about it this way, pick your favorite hobby e.g. music, video games, sports. Now, do that 80 hours a week. Does that seem unrealistic? Perhaps a little, but for those of us in it, that's how it feels much of the time.
80 hours a week is a lot once you pass a certain age. Although I really shouldn't talk.... I'm interested in Vascular or Cardiothoracic Surgery.
80 hours a week is a lot once you pass a certain age. Although I really shouldn't talk.... I'm interested in Vascular or Cardiothoracic Surgery.
exactly how I feel. I'm also interested in cardiothoracic surgery, but definitely still think that neuro is intense. I mean cmon, if someone told you that you HAVE to play video games every weekday and not see your family during that time (as you would if you were in the hospital), how you perform on that game can determine life or death of strangers, add on some overtime every couple of weeks, for say 20 years, I think your desire to go play games might die at least just a little.
Last edited:
Don't forget Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
i thought thoracic was after general surgery, but i'm probably wrong 😛
I think most surgical subspecialties are done after general surgery, but maybe some have their own residency. I don't know though.
Obviously some of the more esoteric ones get their own (orthopedics, plastics, neuro).
I think most surgical subspecialties are done after general surgery, but maybe some have their own residency. I don't know though.
Obviously some of the more esoteric ones get their own (orthopedics, plastics, neuro).
Depends. Cardiothoracic Surgery is 5 years General Surgery residency + a 2-3 year Cardiothoracic program. Vascular Surgery is the same way. There are standalone programs though. I don't remember the hospital/location, but there is a 6 year Cardiothoracic program somewhere in the US. It's highly competitive though. For the majority though, General Surg (5) + Subspecialty (1-3).
I shouldn't even be reading this as an M0... but I find the speciality profiles to be very interesting. Thought I'd share.
http://www.macter.com/celp/careermed/pdf/The ultimate guide to choosing a medical specialty.pdf
http://www.macter.com/celp/careermed/pdf/The ultimate guide to choosing a medical specialty.pdf
Psychiatry! 🙂
+1
This is a funny thread! Everybody's going to be a surgeon! These things will probably change a million times from here until you have to decide
+1
This is a funny thread! Everybody's going to be a surgeon! These things will probably change a million times from here until you have to decide
Watch 90% of us choose a primary care specialty.
By the time we apply for residencies the incentives for primary care will probably be better anyway. It seems Obama and the dems are really trying to push for more primary care.
Similar threads
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 522
E
- Question
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 938
E
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
E