What is your fall schedule looking like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I will do that when I get a syllabus. :)

There was only one section of it, which seems that it would undermine the "smaller" thing, but it's possible there was just one section *left* when I signed up. I got accepted late.

Members don't see this ad.

There was only one section of it, which seems that it would undermine the "smaller" thing, but it's possible there was just one section *left* when I signed up. I got accepted late.

Well, this is a theory-synching-with-reality problem, too. I'm currently in a summer Physics II class that only has one section of discussion and one section of lab; it's because it's a small summer class. However, because it's at a big state university, it's their policy that All Classes Have Discussion Sections, so even though discussion is the same size as lecture and lecture is small, discussion there will be!

Hey, I never said it made any sense.

Well, it should be a fun way to spend 8am on Friday mornings. Whee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guess it's time to stop being a lurker. Hello everyone. I'm coming off Gen Chem 1 and 2 this summer. Fall schedule is as follows:

O Chem with lab and recitation
Physics with lab
Bio 2 with lab
Stats
15 Credits total.
In addition, I stay home and help take care of my 5 boys while my wife brings home the bacon. I like to consider myself a "trophy husband". :D

Nice! I'm doing something somewhat similar. I met my girlfriend at work; we were both Marines. Now she is the Marine and I'm going to school full time! She's bringing home the dough and I'm cooking, cleaning, and dusting the furniture in my time off! It's awesome! She hates it because she's jealous I don't have to go to work and do Marine stuff, but I did it for 8 years, she'll live!

She's a trooper though, soon to be my fiance, yipee! Girls are awesome!!!

Tis' true, comparable to core/pre-req rather than electives. I'm really looking forward to Survey of Rational Drug Design (super cool professor), and my Modern Physics professor is the greatest professor EVER (I had him for physics I and II). Modern Physics will be a class of 6 students. The only class I need is Biochemistry.

Just health care spanish for me. Not sure if I should take anything else since I will now be unemployed. I have the time but not the cash.

Monday Wednesday Friday:
Bio ( Development of Angiosperms)
Chemistry 1 and lab
Polical Science
English literature

just got done with my pre-calc last spring, was going to take Calculus w/ trig. but wasnt sure if I needed to go that high with math.... so I might just take statistics next semester.. since it was the one recommended for my major...

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday

Working from 7-530, its all good since it will cover my health experience..

then in the afternoon spend time with daughter and my pregnant wife.. hhehehe

Organic Chemistry I
Calculus based Physics I
Spanish
U.S. History

SI Leader for General Chemistry I and II
Tutor for math Algebra-Differential Equations and General Chemistry I and II
Volunteer at Medical Center
Chemistry Club President
A dad.

Ugh... This is going to be an interesting semester. Good luck to everyone :)

I'm only taking one class this fall, Organic Chem 1. With a full time job I would rather spend more time doing well in the classes than cramming and doing poorly.

I give so much credit to those who are taking full loads of hard classes, you guys/girls rock!

Anyone taken biochem lab? It seems pretty interesting but I dont want to get in over my head with homework.

Nice! I'm doing something somewhat similar. I met my girlfriend at work; we were both Marines. Now she is the Marine and I'm going to school full time! She's bringing home the dough and I'm cooking, cleaning, and dusting the furniture in my time off! It's awesome! She hates it because she's jealous I don't have to go to work and do Marine stuff, but I did it for 8 years, she'll live!

She's a trooper though, soon to be my fiance, yipee! Girls are awesome!!!

It's nice to have the roles switched for a little while for sure. I think it gives each of us a better appreciation for each other and what we go through. I'm actually a "foodie" and even enjoy cooking. I would recommend reviewing epicurious.com to find a fancy meal every now and then. As far as cleaning goes.... well lets just say I do my best. Good job and kick butt on those upcoming classes!

Anyone taking their pre-reqs at UMD's Science in the Evening Program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey , yes and yes. I'm taking Evo. bio this semester with Fourtier (please tell me he isn't as bad as I have heard...) That would be cool, please introduce yourself if you see me around (my name is very similar to my SDN name) I put bio 101 but the class is officially bio200, I believe(Wlab)
Where are you an EMT? TCA or Rural/Metro? I'm with the EAFD volunteer.

Fall:

I think in a previous thread you mentioned you live in buffalo, are you attending UB? Just curious b/c if you are I may be one of your undergraduate teaching assistants for Cell Bio. :D

Last edited:
organic chemistry 1 w/lab
college physics 1 w/lab
anatomy & physiology 1 w/lab
english g.e.r. class
honors program class
medical orientation class

18 credits

General Chemistry I w/Lab
Pre-Calculus
Medical Terminology
Bioethics

13 hrs

Also working full-time.

Anyone taken biochem lab? It seems pretty interesting but I dont want to get in over my head with homework.

Compared to general and organic chem, biochem lab is pretty lax (or so I've been told). You'll be utilizing GC-MS, SDS-PAGE, HPLC, IEC . . . a whole lotta chromatography. You should be fine. As per lab reports, organic II was frigging hell (summer term, two, four hour labs per week). The ACS for biochemistry is pretty hard (once again . . . or so I've been told). We'll be in the same boat in 2 weeks or less :D.

O-chem + lab
Cellular physiology
Cardiovascular physiology
Intermediate Spanish

14 credits total and I'm prepared to drop the Spanish if things look bad. It's an online class through the community college though. I'm hoping the lack of a commute and class time for it will make the whole schedule manageable. The vast majority of my learning has been self-directed anyway so I think it will be a cake class.

Orgo one (of three. quarters over here.)
Bio one
Human sexuality (<--- counts towards "university studies"... school requirements that force you to pay money and waste time in classes that don't apply to your major so that you can graduate.)

Compared to general and organic chem, biochem lab is pretty lax (or so I've been told). You'll be utilizing GC-MS, SDS-PAGE, HPLC, IEC . . . a whole lotta chromatography. You should be fine. As per lab reports, organic II was frigging hell (summer term, two, four hour labs per week). The ACS for biochemistry is pretty hard (once again . . . or so I've been told). We'll be in the same boat in 2 weeks or less :D.

I thought about taking it but havent signed up. I DESPISED ochem I lab and I dont need any more labs so I dont think ill take it. It seems like it could be fun though...maybe.

I was the low woman on the totem pole this semester. I got the latest enrollment appointment possible and therefore had to resort to what was available, evening classes. At least I can sleep in! Plus, I do work better at night, my brain is not on full alert until about 4pm lol. I only have 17 credits under my belt and still working on core classes. I am taking:

SPN 1101 - Spanish I (my minor)
ENG 2012 - Approaches to Lit (required Hum w/ writing)
ENC 1101 - Writing & Rhetoric II (required writing course)
MAC 1105 - College Algebra

I dropped College Algebra my first semester back on day two because I realized that being away from math for nine years meant I needed a huge refresher. I took Intermediate Algebra last semester and received an A-. I am taking the long road to Calc II and plan on taking Pre-Calc next semester, then Calc I and Calc II.

I was unable to take any science classes this semester because they were filled up before I could enroll. I have already enrolled in General Bio I for Spring though.

***edited to add***
I didn't realize my medical school path until after my first semester back. Initially, due to my bookkeeping background, I went back to school with the intentions of studying accounting. Taking Hum Bio my first semester brought me to the realization that medicine was what I was really after. I wanted to be a surgeon in high school and always had aspirations for medicine. I just thought it was too late to start and changed my mind with the support of family and friends.

Teaching three courses and taking Ochem1, maybe bio too. The scheduling of the courses is really the limiting factor. I can't find anything that fits nicely into the afternoons that I have free. Everything else is either during my own courses, rabidly expensive, or on top of each other; ochem is four nights a week and religious obligations keep me out of class on Saturdays. Oh well. Lots of time for shadowing/volunteering.

:eek:

I procrastinated this summer and waited till the last minute to register for classes...needless to say, I got sorry Professors and a rough schedule.

Classes from 8am till 6pm on Tue and Thur ... for a total of 12 hours. :scared:
Calc I
Chem I w/Lab
Phys I w/Lab

And after Sept. 1st I go back to work as a Work Study Student.

OChem 1- 3 credits
Physics 1 w/ lab- 4 credits
Biol 316-Comparative Animal Physiology- 3 credits
Biol 315-Cell Biology- 4 credits
Biol 395-Genetics and Cell Biol lab- 2 credits
TA'ing a required intro science course for freshmen at my university- 3 credits

Total: 19 credits

Arrive at office by 6:30
Deal with s*** all day
Pause every couple hours to check & pray for interview invites
Leave office around 6
Dinner
Sleep

**oh wait you were asking about class schedule; finished with those just working during my gap year :)

Arrive at office by 6:30
Deal with s*** all day
Pause every couple hours to check & pray for interview invites
Leave office around 6
Dinner
Sleep

**oh wait you were asking about class schedule; finished with those just working during my gap year :)

gl :luck::luck:

Just starting my post bacc and hospital volunteering.

Physics I w/lab
Gen Chem I w/lab

Starting slowly (but it sure doesn't feel that way w/Physics, ahhh!). Haha. :)

Just starting my post bacc and hospital volunteering.

Physics I w/lab
Gen Chem I w/lab

Starting slowly (but it sure doesn't feel that way w/Physics, ahhh!). Haha. :)

as a fellow physics not so friendly person I highly recommend the following two books
1. Novas mcat physics book
2. Physics the easy way (green book at Barnes and noble)

Lurked a lot myself past 2+ years... My fall schedule is for 18 hours: cell bio, zoology, anatomy, and animal behaviour. 3 labs a week :()

Class for me will be from 0730-1030 M through F

O Chem 1
Weather Analysis and Satellite Meteorolgy (Major requirement)
Microeconomics
Beginning Cajun French (My school requires 2 full years of a foreign language-make it an easy one)

13 hours, while working 1730 to 0530

Looks like a change of plans for me: Got a new full time job working a Sat-Sun 48 hour shift on a rural ambulance, so I have M-F to focus strictly on school.

so I swapped Microeconomics for Biology 1 with lab and traded sections of O-Chem-wound up in one that is 95% pre-meds.

as a fellow physics not so friendly person I highly recommend the following two books
1. Novas mcat physics book
2. Physics the easy way (green book at Barnes and noble)

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll certainly check out Physics the easy way, and perhaps the Nova book next year since I'm taking the MCAT in 2013. Did you use it while you were taking introductory physics, or afterwards?

Grabbed a few physics books instead of the book our instructor assigned (Serway's... ack)--
Cutnell's Physics text
Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov
Physics with Algebra as a Second Language
Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics

It's great to see what everyone's schedules are like here. Getting ideas for ECs and subsequent semesters. :)

Finally doing my pre reqs for med school... Currently working as an RN on nights so i'm starting slowly also. Trying to see how it all works out.

Western Civ II
Pre-Calc/Trig

Thank you for your suggestion! I'll certainly check out Physics the easy way, and perhaps the Nova book next year since I'm taking the MCAT in 2013. Did you use it while you were taking introductory physics, or afterwards?

Grabbed a few physics books instead of the book our instructor assigned (Serway's... ack)--
Cutnell's Physics text
Understanding Physics by Isaac Asimov
Physics with Algebra as a Second Language
Schaum's 3,000 Solved Problems in Physics

It's great to see what everyone's schedules are like here. Getting ideas for ECs and subsequent semesters. :)

you are welcome.

i used them afterward while i was studying for my mcat. i wished i used them during though. there were things that were fuzzy during physics that once i read the nova book i could literally feel the lightbulb going on.
i would get the nova book even if you are not taking the mcat until next year, it really helps present things in an easy to understand how to do what you have to do way.

gl :luck:

so you guys can see what you have to look forward to:
fall quarter MS-2

pathology
microbiology (with lab)
pharmacology
principles of medicine
topics in medicine
osteopathic manipulative medicine with workshop

Also, can anybody tell me what this discussion section I had to sign up for along with my calculus class is? I've never seen that before. What on earth do you discuss that you wouldn't during the normal lecture?

In our math department, it is usually where homework is assigned and turned in, and one on one time with a TA or instructor to ask questions. I don't know about your Univ., but at ours, discussion/recitations are required.

Here is my fall and spring lineups....

Fall 2011:
Gen Chem
Bio I
Physics I + lab
Horse Mgmt.

Spring 2012:
Gen Chem lab
Physics II
Bio I lab
Bio II + lab
Organic Chem

Wow - some of you have incredibly tough schedules. You must be super smart or never sleep.

My Fall Schedule -

• O-Chem I w/lab (first half of fall)O-Chem II w/lab (2nd half of fall)
  • Physics I w/lab
  • Medical Spanish
  • MCAT Test Prep (Yes I'm taking it prior to finishing ochem because I was fortunate enough to get a free voucher from one of the schools I'm applying to. And I will not say which school because I don't know if they want everyone beating their doors down for vouchers
Plus volunteer/shadow work as follows

• 4 hours weekly in triage
  • One Saturday a month at a free clinic
  • One evening a month at the homeless shelter
  • Occasional 4 hr yoga workshop as fundraisers for nonprofits
  • Designing and presenting a series of preventive health workshops for community medical clinic (very time consuming)
  • Shadow 8 hours monthly (two different doc offices - 1 MD pediatrician and 1 family practice DO)

Biochemistry
Physics II with lab
Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy with lab
Medical Terminology

25 hours a week working as a scribe in the ER
Volunteer 5 hours a week at the IRC

Biochemistry : Structure and function
Biomedical ethics
Elementary ethics
Molecular biology Research

All my pre-reqs done last year!

General Chemistry II Lab
Cell Biology
Comparative Anatomy
Basic Spanish I

EC:
Molecular Biology/Ecology Research
Work Study
Hopfully some shadowing

Spring:
Ecology
Cell and Neurobiology
Advanced Research
College Algebra (retaking it. Got a "B", trying for an "A")

Last edited:
Working full time and just beginning the journey. Taking Gen Chem and Gen Chem Lab in the evening.

Hi, how is everyone doing with their course loads? I am still trying to figure out how to manage my study & work time. But, since we are less than a month in, I won't be too hard on myself. I am slowly working out the kinks.

I heard a guy in my General Chemistry class today bemoan his schedule of Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Organic Chemistry. I'm not sure how he got signed up for Physics & Organic without having basic Chemistry & Biology, but it sure seems like a lot to digest. He said he was trying to hurry up and finish because he was 37. Hmmm....:scared:

I don't start until next week, but this is the heaviest schedule I've taken so far. I'm a little nervous. It does help that I don't have to work right now thanks to my awesome spouse.

Organic chem with lab
Calculus-based physics with lab
Calculus and Analytical Geometry I
Independent study (chem)

18 hours total.

Anatomy 8 hours a day including labs. My school believes in the hit the basics up front approach. All basic science courses will be taken after this 13 week block of strait anatomy then we get into a more systems based approach to this madness.....YAY!

Community medicine rotation, off service rotation, ICU month #1. Will be working on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Ah, residency.

Enjoy those Christmas breaks while you got 'em, folks. :)

Community medicine rotation, off service rotation, ICU month #1. Will be working on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. Ah, residency.

Enjoy those Christmas breaks while you got 'em, folks. :)

;) Isn't that why you made the big bucks? :rolleyes:

;) Isn't that why you made the big bucks? :rolleyes:
You know, if I strangled you, and I was judged by a jury of my peers, I just might be acquitted. :laugh:

On the bright side, I don't have the time to spend very much money, so it's not such a big deal that I don't earn very much.

You know, if I strangled you, and I was judged by a jury of my peers, I just might be acquitted. :laugh:

On the bright side, I don't have the time to spend very much money, so it's not such a big deal that I don't earn very much.

I'd surely acquit you also! I also don't have time to spend much money, which is good since I don't make any. :D

Although I did ditch my Bio 2 lecture today to take the kiddos to a baseball game. Yay for student loans!

Last edited:
Fall 2012
Gen Chm II w lab
A & P II w lab
Trig

10 credits total

Work full time in the city, 1 year old baby and 2 hours of volunteering each week (haven't started yet, but I sure am counting the tons of hours spent in orientation!!). I also am on the road all.the.time.

I have no idea on when I am supposed to fit in shadowing (I have none), or research (none), nor do I know where I am going to find these opportunities. Any help in the Chicago area is much appreciated! :)

Next semester - Spring 2012
Physics I w lab
Calculus

Summer 2012
Bio I w lab
Bio II w lab

Fall 2012
Orgo I
Physics II w lab

Spring 2013
Orgo I
MCAT Prep and test

I don't see where I can fit in any bio electives (other than A&P I and II) - I would really like to take biochem prior to MCAT, but it doesn't look like its going to work out.