What is your favorite GRE prep tool, book, course, etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meadow36

UF CVM 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what everyone has used to prepare for the GRE. Did you take a course? Do you have a favorite book that you used? Online info? What was especially helpful to you?

I am taking my second test on Oct 14. My first test scores were okay, but not great. I really need to improve on that score. I just bought the book "GRE for Dummies" and I love the easy to follow format.

Members don't see this ad.

I liked GRE for Dummies too, I just wasn't a big fan of their math section (since this was my big weakness I used the Kaplan book too, mostly for math).

Since you are in a time crunch, I liked Princeton Review's Crash Course for the GRE "Ten simple steps in less than one week" Mine is older, published in 1999, so it doesn't review the new analytical section but it was great for vocab and math. There may be a newer one out there....

But my absolute favorite was www.number2.com !!!! Great site, good for quick vocab review especially!

:luck: !

I had a Kaplan book and another small book. I think it is really helpful to take alot of practice tests. Atleast for me it was. One of biggest problems has been the pace of the test. I am a slower test taker so it's difficult for me to do a problem quickly and I found that to be my biggest challenge. I knew the math but not quickly enough! I would then go over every question I got wrong and would also mark the ones i guessed on, that way if I guess and guessed right I would still go back and figure it out. After awhile you get really familar with the type of problems and know right when you look at a problem how to approach it quickly.
I also went to Sylvan (they helped me with this approach) and i went over problems I did wrong with them.
They also gave me a binder of vocab, organized by the type of word/definition...for example , there would be a list of words that mean "to get larger" and I could just memorize the 10 words that mean that instead of trying to learn words alphabetically!
I am still bad a reading comprehension and haven't really found a way to improve if anyone has ideas on that! I'm taking it one more time to see if I can do better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another vote for Kaplan. I also really needed to take multiple practice exams to get a feel for the test, and Kaplan includes a CD of those. Good luck!