What is your opinion on facebook friending former faculty after graduating?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applicant5000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's take on this? I see this pretty often actually. Does anyone here have former faculty as FB friends?

Members don't see this ad.

What is everyone's take on this? I see this pretty often actually. Does anyone here have former faculty as FB friends?
Let me flip the question around. I, as a Faculty member, have lots of my grads as FB friends.

I have a colleague who has students as FB friends but all of them are in their clinical years. I think that's fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually have my current faculty as Facebook friends

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in my last clinical year. I have the faculty that I got along with. I also have a few docs too.

are they hot? Then for sure! But I had faculty as friends when I was student, resident and I have students as friends as an attending. As long as there's nothing there you wouldn't want them to see.

Fine IMO, but choose carefully. I added two faculty members that I legit could see myself being friends with post graduation

I don’t think I have any non clinical faculty on my Facebook. I have a ton of clinical faculty from med school and residency as friends but that’s what they are: friends! Just add them if you are friends with them. It’s that simple.

I have a select few from preclinical years. Then I have preceptors I got along with. Never know when you need a connection after residency for a job. It’s networking.