What is your opinion ( pharmacy law FL)

Started by tompharm
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tompharm

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi I got a concern to ask.
Basically I am a PRN pharmacist for a very small chain pharmacy. I only work about 2-4 days a month and most of the time at different pharmacies each day, rotating, between about 5 pharmacies.

Well I just started this job and everything was going great. I liked it because they were "legit" and following laws. However, this last week I worked at a very busy pharmacy and at this pharmacy they have a "manager", he is not a pharmacist and at the time I thought he had a tech license. He was basically filling a lot of the meds and handling insurance queries. I thought everything was ok until one of the other techs mentioned to me that he was not a technician. So, I looked and I didn't see a license for him on the wall.

So now I am concerned. I mean I am just a fill in pharmacist, not a part time, full time, or pharmacy manager. I asked other pharmacists and some say I can get in trouble for letting him work and other say it is a concern for the pharmacy manager or pharmacy.

I have been to the board meetings and it seems like the only people that get in trouble for things during an inspection are the pharmacy manager and pharmacy.

I also know that some techs can work in pharmacies unlicensed till they get their license.

I mean I don't really want to bring this issue up with this man because he seems very confrontational and I think it could cost me a job.
 
legally you could get in trouble, but being a PRN pharmacist, the board would be more likely to go after the manager who is working without a tech license, and the pharmacy manager. As pharmacist, you are legally responsible for supervising technicians when you are on duty--and that includes ensuring that non-licensed personnel are not doing pharmacy work.