What is your opinions of nurse anesthetists? This guy wrote an e-mail to a doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axlaxl1

Ram Ventilation
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saying, verbatim, Hi, I am a nurse Nurse Anesthetist and I do the same thing as a doctor but they get paid a little more money than me. As well, he stated making 175K. Then he went into the degree he had and all it was is a BA in nursing and a master's degree in anesthesiology.

What seems crazy about the whole thing is that it is true. I actually really feel bad for doctors on this one. What in the world is a person who has about 10 years less training and experience doing with a salary that is basically equivilant to a doctors. 1000'sK less debt and more time actually in the field doing the job.

Seems totally outta wack. What do you all think? oh, P.S. this was an e-mail sent to a girlfriend of mine that was on Match.com

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if somebody with less education can perform what doctors perform, then that's great. That saves lots of time for the job operator and money for patients. But I doubt nurse anesthetists can do everything of what doctor anesthetists do (It seems that they are just doing what they are told to do by doctors because nurses with very little medical knowledge cannot diagnosis patients).

Gas guys dont make 175k or anywhere near it, or if they do a NA doesnt make near that, in that same region.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if somebody with less education can perform what doctors perform, then that's great. That saves lots of time for the job operator and money for patients.

you're a premed? Because if that is the case, I think there a lots of "jobs" that people could do with training and nothing else. I mean, why did I even have to take this darned MCAT?

Gas guys dont make 175k or anywhere near it, or if they do a NA doesnt make near that, in that same region.

NO, I have seen this guys paycheck. I totally know he is telling the truth. And the more laughable part is that he only works about 35 hours a week on the night shift were he sleeps if noone is needed.

you're a premed? Because if that is the case, I think there a lots of "jobs" that people could do with training and nothing else. I mean, why did I even have to take this darned MCAT?

Because you need deep medical knowledges if you want to perform what doctors do. I edited my statement that I doubt nurses can do everything of what doctors do.

to me I think the whole thing is kinda rediculous. No Nurse in the U.S. needs to earn more than 100K. PERIOD. Now, of course I speak with a couple of exceptions. Perhaps a Nurse practioner because they can diagnose and perscribe meds. Ok, that is a much higher job responsibility and more than "one" year of extra training. However, an NA doesn't need that much money... Just doesn't. You want to talk about lower operating cost's. line me up 10 NA's and tell me one that would turn down 95K as a salary. I mean, the market created to have this type of salary is totally false and inflated. Now, for a medical doctor to me that seems a little different, they can have it be their business or contract per hospital, PLUS, the doc takes all the risk. What risk does the NA take? Not anywhere near what a doc takes.

Just seems off to me I guess.

Seems okay to me. Also seems like you'e being an elitist, if you would pardon my bluntness. The NA doesn't have the same scope of practice so he gets paid a little less than an anesthesiologist. He's probably needed for the more routine cases. He gets paid a lot because even the routine cases are pretty dangerous from a surgical perspective. Saves everybody some money, maybe screws the doc a little, but it appears that his/her skills were unnecessary in the first place.

So no, the NA doesn't do everything a doc does. If so, that would make him a doc. I also don't think any of us are qualified to talk about legal liability.

Seems okay to me. Also seems like you'e being an elitist.

What? I don't get it. Have you taken the MCAT's and gone to medical school for four years while taking two more board exams? Vs. a person who hasn't even taken Chem 2 or Biochem EVER let alone physics and organic make 10K less than you?

Monetary compensation != fairness.

Also, sorry that my edit got misaligned.

Monetary compensation != fairness.

Also, sorry that my edit got misaligned.

My point is, a person can do the same think for 80 or 90K... for goodness sake's 175K is a lot of cash.

My point still stands. Nurse anesthetists are important, and they're important enough to be paid highly. More power to them.

Let's put it this way. Knowing all of this, do you still want to be a doctor? Why would you not want to be a nurse anesthetist? After all, they're paid well, don't have to spend as much time in school, presumably have less debt, and have more flexible hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
What he is trying to say is that if the job gets that kind of pay then the person should be more qualified. If the job doesn't require excessive qualification the pay should be less. The NA is basically having the cake and eating it too.

The problem with this view is that earning potential is not based on how trained you are but on how the job gets done. If they can pay a NA 10K less than a doctor ....they are saving 10 K. Obviously, somewhere down the line it was decided that the NA training was sufficient for their duties. Besides, if they kill a bunch of patients they wont be a NA for long. A high risk job selects out those who cant... no matter the training.Added to that, a high salary ensures competition to keep the ones who kill patients unemployed and new people ready to take the job. Read: High salary but lower than they used to have to pay=more money coming in.

Do they care they might jeopardize patients in the short term by using less qualified personnel?.... All the way to the bank.

They can always defend it as saving money for patients, freeing up doctors, increasing research, or some other philanthropic disguise to make money.

Let's put it this way. Knowing all of this, do you still want to be a doctor? Why would you not want to be a nurse anesthetist? After all, they're paid well, don't have to spend as much time in school, presumably have less debt, and have more flexible hours.
Medical school is quite different from nursing school. There is a breadth of knowledge that you learn as a doctor that you simply don't learn as a nurse. Their outlook and motif in treatment is quite different also. Why would you still want to be a doctor? What if you aren't interested in Anesthesia? I know I'm certainly not; what if you are interested in neurosurgery? You can't be a nurse neurosurgeon or a nurse cardiologist. As a doctor you have so many options, and even as an anesthesiologist you will be making almost twice what the NA will be making.

If you are only interested in money and you don't care about what speciality that you want to go into and you don't like patient contact; go and be a NA.But once you matriculate into medical school u will realize that medicine is alot more fun and it offers alot more freedom. Medicine's golden days of doctors making $800K a year while everyone else bowed to them is over. Docs still are paid quite comfortably, but not like that anymore.

As somebody in another thread said, if people with a fraction of the training can do what a Dr. can, then we're probably all getting into the wrong profession.

And if they can't, let's just say there's no shortage of lawyers looking for work.

Saying, verbatim, Hi, I am a nurse Nurse Anesthetist and I do the same thing as a doctor but they get paid a little more money than me. As well, he stated making 175K. Then he went into the degree he had and all it was is a BA in nursing and a master's degree in anesthesiology.

What seems crazy about the whole thing is that it is true. I actually really feel bad for doctors on this one. What in the world is a person who has about 10 years less training and experience doing with a salary that is basically equivilant to a doctors. 1000'sK less debt and more time actually in the field doing the job.

Seems totally outta wack. What do you all think? oh, P.S. this was an e-mail sent to a girlfriend of mine that was on Match.com

I've done a year of hospital-based surgery training after dental school (which included performing procedures in the OR), so I have some experience with anesthesiologists and CRNAs.

Yes, there have been many situations where I've performed a procedure in the OR and saw the anesthesiologist literally for two minutes at the beginning and end of the case while the CRNA remained in the room throughout, administered the drugs, intubated, and extubated. Make no mistake about it, however, they do not have the same role and they are not interchangeable entities. CRNAs are very well trained to do what they do, and that is deliver anesthesia care. Notice the use of the word "deliver" in the sentence. Anesthesiologists, by contrast, are not only well trained to deliver anesthesia, but to plan it. Yes indeed, there is such a thing as an anesthesia "plan", just like there is such a thing as a surgical plan.

Anesthesia is a lot more than administering drugs until the patient no longer responds to a 1cm incision. Having had some experience in anesthesia myself (i.e. performing intravenous sedations), I can tell you that 1. you need to have an intimate knowledge of the medical aspects of anesthesia and pharmacology (especially the pharmacology of the drugs you plan to use) as well as an intimate knowledge of your patient's health history, and 2. delivering anesthesia is rarely a cookie-cutter task; patients respond to anesthesia very differently. Where one patient may not respond at all to 100mcg of Fentanyl, another may go apneic. It's often hard to predict, especially when your training is less.

An anesthesiologist, as you know, has been through four years of medical school as well as a year of medicine residency prior to beginning his/her training in anesthesiology. Hence, an anesthesiologist is a physician--a physician whose medical specialty is the science and practice of anesthesia. That fact carries with it some very important implications. The anesthesiologist, unlike a CRNA, is not only (better) trained to deliver anesthesia care and handle complications, but is also a diagnostician, which makes him/her better at assessing a patient for anesthesia and thus, as I mentioned above, forming an anesthesia "plan".

Don't get me wrong, here--CRNAs serve a very important role and as a doctor (and perhaps a patient at some point in my life) I'm more than comfortable working with a CRNA--provided there's an anesthesiologist somewhere in the picture who knows what's going on.

Finally, as far as money goes: I don't know what CRNAs make (although I have my doubts about that $175k figure). But from what I've heard, anesthesiologists make a ton of it.

You become a nurse if you want to deliver patient care.
You become a physician if you want your role to be more in line with a leader and scientist.

That being said, it's procedures that bring in money not knowledge. The extra knowledge allows physicians to perform duties that a nurse cannot and thus physicians make slightly more money.

If a nurse gets the training to handle a large percentage of the routine procedures a physician does, they deserve to make a large percentage of what the physician would make (though the physician will always make more because they have the knowledge to handle that percentage of situations that a nurse cannot).

Get over it; if you're going to become a physician you should get very comfortable with the idea of the majority of your effort being rewarded with intangible benefits because the cash prizes started capping out about five years of training before becomming an attending...

oof this is a sore topic for the doctor I'm shadowing. last week she went OFF about NPs and PAs. Saying something like "how can you be a half doctor, I don't get it" in her cute british accent. Is it wrong that I think she's cute? OK I'm sidetracking.

In the United States health care is a for a profit business. NA's pretty much do the same job as anesthesiologists but cost a lot less, hence they are preferable. Much like I would be cautious about going into primary care because of PA's, I would be cautious about going into anesthesiology because of NA's. There is a huge thread on NA's in the anesthesiology forums last time I checked.

There are some fields of medicine that are in danger from other providers. The ones mentioned above are an example. Another one is ophthamology. Optometrists are pushing for surgical privileges and in some cases getting them. I suspect it will only get worse. Radiology is threatened by outsourcing.

As some have said most specialties are not threatened by non-doctors taking over.

hilarious

where's the outrage at the salaries professional athletes or actors make?

in a free-market economy, the market determines what someone is paid, and your off-the-cuff claims that it ain't fair are pointless

what outrages me is that anyone would try to dictate what a nurse "should" make.

Looks like another practical fact vs _________ theory. Fill in the blank with an adjective for me, please. I couldn't think of one. Or give me a brand new sentence. Thanks.

There is a lot of contention on this subject, so let's get some of the facts straight.

A CRNA must get their Bachelor's in nursing (4 years), then get a couple years experience in practice, then apply to and graduate from a highly competetive 24-36 month Master's program in anesthesiology. They know what they're doing in front of a gas cart.

What they don't have is the broad-based medical knowledge that a physican has, and this is troubling to some people, especially physicians.

The median salary of a CRNA is 140k, which in my opinion is too high for what they actually do. One of the reasons they get paid so much is that they are in high demand. Not very many anesthesiologists graduate each year, and most of them want to practice in a big city. Therefore, CRNA's can swoop in and pick up the rural and semi-rural jobs and demand big money for it.

NO, I have seen this guys paycheck. I totally know he is telling the truth. And the more laughable part is that he only works about 35 hours a week on the night shift were he sleeps if noone is needed.

The point of the post you are responding to is that anesthesiologists make far more than $175k per year. Many make twice that and some 3-4x that.

axlaxl's posts' contents and spelling make my eyes bleed.

What? I don't get it. Have you taken the MCAT's and gone to medical school for four years while taking two more board exams? Vs. a person who hasn't even taken Chem 2 or Biochem EVER let alone physics and organic make 10K less than you?

NA programs in Kentucky actually do require pre-med level organic chemistry. I'm not sure about physics, but I know that they do have to have the whole chem sequence.

This is incorrect ... I was choosing between med school and a BSN/MSN nursing school for a while.

The NP programs I looked at required more science prerequisites than many medical schools I was looking at. Nursing schools REQUIRED both organic chemistry and biological chemistry, and I'm not sure if there are any medical schools I looked at that actually required biochemistry. Also, NPs and NAs have two boards as well: the NCLEX for the RN license and the board they take for the NP license (which varies depending on which specialty they choose).

Ultimately, i chose an NP program because both of my parents were physicians and I wanted a different childhood for my own kids than my parents provided for me... most people who choose the NP track acknowledge that we will have to sacrifice some autonomy, respect, and salary in order to have the type of lifestyle that we desire.

My advice to you, and everyone here, is to not make sweeping generalizations about nurse practitioners, physician assistants, or nurse anesthetists. I have a four year degree in biochemistry from one of the top colleges in the country, and my NP program is a four year program. By the time I finish with any fellowships I may want to do, I will have been in school for about as long as some of you and I'll only have a master's degree.

NP's, NA's, and PA's are in no way trying to replace physicians. We go to school knowing that we will never do the same work as physicians, and nor do we want to ... otherwise we would go to med school! Please stop hating on us! We want to collaborate with physicians to provide the best possible care to patients as possible. We love doctors, and know that we probably wouldn't have a job if doctors weren't around.

Can't we all just get along?

to me I think the whole thing is kinda rediculous. No Nurse in the U.S. needs to earn more than 100K. PERIOD.
Supply and demand. Your knowledge of economics is deplorable. A nurse right out of school starts at my wife's employer at nearly $60,000 per year. Don't you think someone with a lot more experience and knowledge should make more than that?

Supply and demand. Your knowledge of economics is deplorable. A nurse right out of school starts at my wife's employer at nearly $60,000 per year. Don't you think someone with a lot more experience and knowledge should make more than that?

I am not saying they shouldn't get paid anything. I am not saying they shouldn't make more than 60K. I am saying 175K is really high for a master's degree. I am sorry but I have to agree with the doctors on this one. We all are here busting our perverbial butts to get good grades, be at the top of our classes, and get a good enough MCAT score to then get into medical school and take a couple more boards all in all to become a medical doctor at the end of four years, BUT WAIT there is then the residency too.

It has to be a joke that someone can bypass that whole process and make a swift 175K and go around making comments a doctor gets paid a little more than me but we basically do the same things.

With that said, obviously with supply and demand being at the forefront of this problem. What is it going to take for someone to look at the industry and say enough is enough. Doctors should be able to make a living for all the loans and years of work they put into becoming a doctor. For goodness sake's make the residency shorter or something. Have more doc's out there getting paid 175K instead of a few getting paid 375K which is mostly what I find to be the case.

I mean, think about it for a second, if you are the patient and you are going under for a major surgery who do you want administoring your meds?

to me I think the whole thing is kinda rediculous. No Nurse in the U.S. needs to earn more than 100K. PERIOD. Now, of course I speak with a couple of exceptions. Perhaps a Nurse practioner because they can diagnose and perscribe meds. Ok, that is a much higher job responsibility and more than "one" year of extra training. However, an NA doesn't need that much money... Just doesn't. You want to talk about lower operating cost's. line me up 10 NA's and tell me one that would turn down 95K as a salary. I mean, the market created to have this type of salary is totally false and inflated. Now, for a medical doctor to me that seems a little different, they can have it be their business or contract per hospital, PLUS, the doc takes all the risk. What risk does the NA take? Not anywhere near what a doc takes.

Just seems off to me I guess.

Judging from your arrogant post onething is clear, that you don't know jack **** about the nursing profession or what their duties consist.

I suggest you go visit your local hospital and have a chat with one of the RN's. Also what exactly qualifies you to decide who should make how much or who deserves to make how much?

Judging from your arrogant post onething is clear, that you don't know jack **** about the nursing profession or what their duties consist.

I suggest you go visit your local hospital and have a chat with one of the RN's. Also what exactly qualifies you to decide who should make how much or who deserves to make how much?

please explain to me what you just said right now that has any relevence to the topic of conversation? Your post is violent at best and I don't even understand what the anger is about. did you read this?

I am not saying they shouldn't get paid anything. I am not saying they shouldn't make more than 60K. I am saying 175K is really high for a master's degree. I am sorry but I have to agree with the doctors on this one. We all are here busting our perverbial butts to get good grades, be at the top of our classes, and get a good enough MCAT score to then get into medical school and take a couple more boards all in all to become a medical doctor at the end of four years, BUT WAIT there is then the residency too.

It has to be a joke that someone can bypass that whole process and make a swift 175K and go around making comments a doctor gets paid a little more than me but we basically do the same things.

With that said, obviously with supply and demand being at the forefront of this problem. What is it going to take for someone to look at the industry and say enough is enough. Doctors should be able to make a living for all the loans and years of work they put into becoming a doctor. For goodness sake's make the residency shorter or something. Have more doc's out there getting paid 175K instead of a few getting paid 375K which is mostly what I find to be the case.

I mean, think about it for a second, if you are the patient and you are going under for a major surgery who do you want administoring your meds?

Like MessyJessie, I was considering going the NA route for awhile before settling on medical school completely. The program in my state requires above and beyond pre-med undergrad prereqs, a minimum of 2 years ICU nursing experience, and critical care nursing certification. Nurse anesthetists provide a needed service and keep costs down for patients because there are not enough anesthesiologists to go around for every single surgery. Both of their place in medicine and elitist attitudes are not going to get you anywhere in this field. I really get tired of seeing nurses and doctors (and to an extent other healthcare professionals) fighting over turf and prestige. We are all supposed to be in our chosen professions to help people, not fight over who is better and who should make how much.

please explain to me what you just said right now that has any relevence to the topic of conversation? Your post is violent at best and I don't even understand what the anger is about. did you read this?

it sounds like you have a bad inferiority complex...you might want to reconsider a career in medicine, since being a doctor does not make you the biggest fish in the sea of society :smuggrin:

Like MessyJessie, I was considering going the NA route for awhile before settling on medical school completely. The program in my state requires above and beyond pre-med undergrad prereqs, a minimum of 2 years ICU nursing experience, and critical care nursing certification. Nurse anesthetists provide a needed service and keep costs down for patients because there are not enough anesthesiologists to go around for every single surgery. Both of their place in medicine and elitist attitudes are not going to get you anywhere in this field. I really get tired of seeing nurses and doctors (and to an extent other healthcare professionals) fighting over turf and prestige. We are all supposed to be in our chosen professions to help people, not fight over who is better and who should make how much.

I guess some people, not all, are missing my main point. There are doctors, i.e. peds, that make less than 175K per year. Tell me the extra med student that wouldn't want a residency and wouldn't be happy with making 175K as a DOCTOR. With more training and experience wouldnt' the doc getting paid 175k be better than the NA getting paid 175K? Now do you see my point?

it sounds like you have a bad inferiority complex...you might want to reconsider a career in medicine, since being a doctor does not make you the biggest fish in the sea of society
LOL WHAT? hahahaha are you serious

Well if we go by your theory of (## of years of education= how much you make/how much you are worth). Then I suppose plumbers and electricians are ridiculously overpaid.

Don't you think??

my friend is a nurse anethetist and she basically is the anestesiologist in the OR. there is one doctor that runs around between 3-5 OR's and oversees them all.

waaah waaaah wahhh

I don't concern myself with what other people make for a living, unless I am considering whether to choose their profession, and even then it's not my right to decrease their pay just because I think I might have to work harder to earn the same or less in the profession I choose.

I'm a little disappointed. CRNA thread + Preallo insanity should equal Greatest SDN Thread Ever and there's not nearly enough chaos here.

:idea:

Summon MacGyver :smuggrin:

I guess some people, not all, are missing my main point. There are doctors, i.e. peds, that make less than 175K per year. Tell me the extra med student that wouldn't want a residency and wouldn't be happy with making 175K as a DOCTOR. With more training and experience wouldnt' the doc getting paid 175k be better than the NA getting paid 175K? Now do you see my point?

I totally agree with you that pediatricians and other primary care doctors should make more. It is a travesty that they make less than nurse anesthetists. however, I don't think the answer is to pay NA's less.

Dude, I hate to tell you, but you're being pretty unreasonable about all of this. How much training someone has doesn't always determine their pay -- supply and demand for the position and the experience/ingenuity of the employee determines salary. The biggest point I can make is that people with far more experience than you decided $175k was a reasonable amount of money to pay a CNA. Whether that's just or unjust to you doesn't make much of a difference...

Also, as a side note, I think it would be hard for a CNA to escape any culpability in a patient injury or death. I work for a doctor who gives depositions for lawsuits involving healthcare workers and I've seen at least one case where a nurse was listed as a defendant along with the physician. So, nurses aren't devoid of responsibility, and I'm guessing CNAs might have a little more responsibility because of their seeming independence.

How much training someone has doesn't always determine their pay -- supply and demand for the position and the experience/ingenuity of the employee determines salary.

Yeah life usually isn't fair. At least in healthcare there's a light at the end of the tunnel, imagine being a prof and doing 4 years of college, a 6 year PhD, a 4 year post-doc, and then working for like 50k knowing you have a 50/50 chance of being fired on a whim in 6 years.

if you try to rationalize what people make doing what jobs you will go crazy. period.

Yeah life usually isn't fair. At least in healthcare there's a light at the end of the tunnel, imagine being a prof and doing 4 years of college, a 6 year PhD, a 4 year post-doc, and then working for like 50k knowing you have a 50/50 chance of being fired on a whim in 6 years.

if you try to rationalize what people make doing what jobs you will go crazy. period.

all I want to know is. what is that picture of? LOL. I think that haircut is 175K. :laugh:

It's simply basic supply and demand.

Life isn't fair. Some work incredibly hard and get paid crap, some don't.

My dad is a teacher currently and makes 33k/year. He has 2 bachelors and a masters degree. Please don't complain about making 175k/year or even 100k/year. Americans spend so much money it isn't funny.

It's simply basic supply and demand.

Life isn't fair. Some work incredibly hard and get paid crap, some don't.

My dad is a teacher currently and makes 33k/year. He has 2 bachelors and a masters degree. Please don't complain about making 175k/year or even 100k/year. Americans spend so much money it isn't funny.

even though i hated my organizational behavior class and thought it was a load of crap (apologies to anyone who thought otherwise), but apparently "studies have proven" that money stops becoming a factor in job satisfaction after $40k.

even though i hated my organizational behavior class and thought it was a load of crap (apologies to anyone who thought otherwise), but apparently "studies have proven" that money stops becoming a factor in job satisfaction after $40k.

maybe overall, but it sure wasn't the case w/me and i was making 50. you can't buy a decent house and car on that salary, not in southern california at least

axlaxl1, I cant wait until/if you become a doctor and your idea of nurses being inferior begins to spread amongst the nurses where you work.
you may then realize how important they really are when you are having to do every single minute procedure for your patients.
Who knows you may be right, perhaps there is an extreme nurse shortage because everyone else has come to the same conclusion that you have; nurses are inferior to doctors.
good luck with your pursuit

maybe overall, but it sure wasn't the case w/me and i was making 50. you can't buy a decent house and car on that salary, not in southern california at least
I am so sick of people from California or other ridiculously high-priced places generalizing about the cost of living. Newsflash! not everyone has to pay $800k for a 2 bedroom house.

I am so sick of people from California or other ridiculously high-priced places generalizing about the cost of living. Newsflash! not everyone has to pay $800k for a 2 bedroom house.

southern cali by the coast really is that expensive (i have family in Temecula, Manhattan beach, and Huntington beach). however, people don't have to live there i suppose.