What is your Passion for Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RobertRodrig1

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is your Passion for being a Pharmacist?

I have noticed that many pharmacy students seem to "hate" being in pharmacy school. It is a sad thing but I have noticed that many people
go into the profession with no idea of what it is. All they know is that there
may be a big paycheck at the end. However, happiness is far from that.

So, what is the brightside that you have noticed or taken hold of in your career as a pharmacy student or a pharmacist?
 
What is your Passion for being a Pharmacist?

I have noticed that many pharmacy students seem to "hate" being in pharmacy school. It is a sad thing but I have noticed that many people
go into the profession with no idea of what it is. All they know is that there
may be a big paycheck at the end. However, happiness is far from that.

So, what is the brightside that you have noticed or taken hold of in your career as a pharmacy student or a pharmacist?

Pharmacy school takes place in the wondrous fantasy world of academia. Ergo, many people hate school in lieu of the real world. Just because people hate pharmacy school doesn't mean they hate or have no passion for the pharmacy profession. I consider myself one of those people.
 
What is your Passion for being a Pharmacist?

I have noticed that many pharmacy students seem to "hate" being in pharmacy school. It is a sad thing but I have noticed that many people
go into the profession with no idea of what it is. All they know is that there
may be a big paycheck at the end. However, happiness is far from that.

So, what is the brightside that you have noticed or taken hold of in your career as a pharmacy student or a pharmacist?

Wait, is this not the same thread I just answered like yesterday?

EDIT: Sorry, the same question is an active thread on the pre-pharm forums. I'd suggest you check that out.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
a lot of people dont have a passion for school in general....i loved pharmacy school and wish i was back there sometimes
 
Very few lucky people in the world and history have been able to live their "passion" through an occupation. Artists, atheletes, politicians etc. typically enjoy this phenomenon. Of course this is a feast or femine decision.

Count me as one of the many unlucky ones. I am not passionate about pharmacy. But I like what I do and I excel in it. But my passion lies outside of pharmacy. But pharmacy allows me to enjoy and pursue my passion, part time.
 
Pharmacy school takes place in the wondrous fantasy world of academia. Ergo, many people hate school in lieu of the real world. Just because people hate pharmacy school doesn't mean they hate or have no passion for the pharmacy profession. I consider myself one of those people.
This is about right. I'm back in school trying to get a post-graduate PharmD, and overall it's rewarding, getting deep into the therapeutics, reading the original research papers that provide the basis for medical practice. But after years of working, calling my own shots, I'm remembering why I hated school in the 1st place: the pointless assignments that have no bearing on real practise but are some academic's idea of what pharmacy should be.

And when it comes to assignments on ethics, after 20-odd years, I think I know more about ethical dilemmas in practice than someone who has only dealt with them in a theoretical context, even if they've published papers in esteemed journals on the subject.
 
And furthermore, the people who are teaching pharmacy are not (excepting some courses) practising it, so you're being taught by people who would rather not work as pharmacists.
 
And furthermore, the people who are teaching pharmacy are not (excepting some courses) practising it, so you're being taught by people who would rather not work as pharmacists.


hahah yeah this is for the most part true...but can be true for many other professional schools
 
This is about right. I'm back in school trying to get a post-graduate PharmD, and overall it's rewarding, getting deep into the therapeutics, reading the original research papers that provide the basis for medical practice. But after years of working, calling my own shots, I'm remembering why I hated school in the 1st place: the pointless assignments that have no bearing on real practise but are some academic's idea of what pharmacy should be.

And when it comes to assignments on ethics, after 20-odd years, I think I know more about ethical dilemmas in practice than someone who has only dealt with them in a theoretical context, even if they've published papers in esteemed journals on the subject.

so i believe you're a BPharm from the 80's? 👍
 
So, what I am gathering is that being is pharmacy school is what is holding someone back from experiencing the real world.

Interestingly, I noticed that there were many people applying for pharmacy
school that were business majors, MBA, and people that were out of school
for long periods of time.

I would venture to guess that these people would not be content with the rigor of pharmacy school. For example, jumping into hardcore biochemistry the first semester.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I, however, love science and have my bachelors in chemistry with a minor in biology. But...this seems to my disadvantage since I completely dislike retail pharmacy and I would have to do my PGY-2 for me to be completely satisfied since I am a very research oriented.

what??
 
I would venture to guess that these people would not be content with the rigor of pharmacy school. For example, jumping into hardcore biochemistry the first semester.

I, however, love science and have my bachelors in chemistry with a minor in biology. But...this seems to my disadvantage since I completely dislike retail pharmacy and I would have to do my PGY-2 for me to be completely satisfied since I am a very research oriented.

Some of the most incoherent babbling I have ever read on SDN.
 
Last edited:
Very few lucky people in the world and history have been able to live their "passion" through an occupation. Artists, atheletes, politicians etc. typically enjoy this phenomenon. Of course this is a feast or femine decision.

Count me as one of the many unlucky ones. I am not passionate about pharmacy. But I like what I do and I excel in it. But my passion lies outside of pharmacy. But pharmacy allows me to enjoy and pursue my passion, part time.

👍👍👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what exactly does this drug repping I apparently do entail?? Starting to sound interesting...

Well you met with a Zevalin Rep...how did that go? I'm genuinely interested in hearing about it! Was it just like any other sales pitch or was it scientifically engaging?
 
Well you met with a Zevalin Rep...how did that go? I'm genuinely interested in hearing about it! Was it just like any other sales pitch or was it scientifically engaging?

Well, we actually had to reschedule as we were all too busy with six sigma/black belt projects at the pharmacy. I'll let you know when they ever stop by.

I was just kidding about drug repping being interesting btw! 😉
 
Well, we actually had to reschedule as we were all too busy with six sigma/black belt projects at the pharmacy. I'll let you know when they ever stop by.

I was just kidding about drug repping being interesting btw! 😉

How long are you going to be in Japan? Do they give you extended vacations in nuclear pharmacy once you start to glow in the dark? I may have to check into nuclear pharmacy.....glowing in the dark would be cool.
 
How long are you going to be in Japan? Do they give you extended vacations in nuclear pharmacy once you start to glow in the dark? I may have to check into nuclear pharmacy.....glowing in the dark would be cool.

Heading back tomorrow! The trip was amaaaazing, but I'm ready to go home. 😳

And in case you were wondering...I've worked a total of 6 out of the last 38 days..using exactly 12 days of PTO. :meanie:
 
Heading back tomorrow! The trip was amaaaazing, but I'm ready to go home. 😳

And in case you were wondering...I've worked a total of 6 out of the last 38 days..using exactly 12 days of PTO. :meanie:

I was wondering. It seems like you have been off for over a month. You rock!

It is going to be hard to go back to work after all that time off. Thats why I never take more than a week of vacation at one time. Any longer and I would not go back.
 
I was wondering. It seems like you have been off for over a month. You rock!

It is going to be hard to go back to work after all that time off. Thats why I never take more than a week of vacation at one time. Any longer and I would not go back.

Actually, I'm looking forward to going back. I miss it, as well as my co-workers...the pharmacists, techs, drivers..we've got a great group! 😱