What is your "plan B" if dentistry does not work out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it is tempting to give a funny/witty response to this thread. On a serious note, what is your plan B if for some odd reason dentistry did not work out?

Members don't see this ad.

As in if you went to dental school and then didn't become a dentist or as in you never got in?

Since I've already been accepted I'll go with the first possibility:

I would call a debt management firm and cry.

As in if you went to dental school and then didn't become a dentist or as in you never got in?

either or

Members don't see this ad :)
i hope it doesn't happen but probably DO medical school or pharmacy school

Plan B--- High school Biology/Chem teacher and football coach.

Plan C--- Use my Boilermakers Union card to it's full advantage.

Yesterday my sister was giving me **** because she thinks dentistry is boring and Im settling. She wants me to go to law school or get my MBA so I can get a job on Wall Street. Of course she goes to Columbia for grad school.

I'd probably go into the television production business.

it was either PA school or pharmacy school... both not bad career paths.

hmmm...if I didn't get into dental school then I wouldn't get into other health schools (med, pharm etc). I really don't know...

If I don't make it this year then I'm getting all the related Professional licenses I can: Coronal Polishing, X-Ray, CPR, Nitrous Oxide...

I might even become a certified teacher so I can sub on the side.

I'm pretty well committed to the field, so I'll just find a way to work and pull in a good income while I beef up my application, retake the DAT, etc.

I'm getting in, damnit.

And if I'm still not in after 5 years I'll have enough school to do pretty much anything else, so maybe I'll just become a Professor and keep applying.

Theres no other option for me because I've been working in banking since I was like 17- or 18 years old. If after 4 trys I would go back into management working in a banking branch or call center.

Gigalo...for sure.

The money is great and you get to make your own hours. It's a lot like dentistry actually :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I better get into one of the following: Harvard/UCLA/UCSF/Columbia

....or Im going to be applying to M.D. schools the following year =(

If for some reason I don't get in within, I'll say ~3 cycles, I might give up and try pharmacy school instead...veterinary school is interesting too, but I hear that it is just as, if not more, competitive than dental school because of how few schools there are. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that though, because dentistry is what I really want to do!

Seems kind of snobby, don't you think? I mean, all I ever hear on this thread is about how your overall dental education is basically equivalent no matter where you go...unless you're like absolutely positively set on a specialty, which is definitely not the right attitude for dschool, where the chances of getting into one are far smaller than the chances of you becoming just a general dentist.

If for some reason I don't get in within, I'll say ~3 cycles, I might give up and try pharmacy school instead...veterinary school is interesting too, but I hear that it is just as, if not more, competitive than dental school because of how few schools there are. Hopefully it doesn't come down to that though, because dentistry is what I really want to do!

I would say give it 4 cycles, that's how long it took me :D

Gigalo...for sure.

The money is great and you get to make your own hours. It's a lot like dentistry actually :laugh:

Now that you mention in it, that could be my 2nd option.
THANKS for the help :D

Gigalo...for sure.

Plus you'd still be working in people's mouths!

Gigalo...for sure.

You can do both dentistry and gigalo. There will be bills to pay while in school you know.

Focus: Military maybe JAG, hell probably going military anyways as it is after D-school

I'm probably gonna put my down my deposit for MD/PHD @ Hopkins

Seems kind of snobby, don't you think? I mean, all I ever hear on this thread is about how your overall dental education is basically equivalent no matter where you go...unless you're like absolutely positively set on a specialty, which is definitely not the right attitude for dschool, where the chances of getting into one are far smaller than the chances of you becoming just a general dentist.

I'm pretty sure her post is dripping with sarcasm...

I take the State firefighter license exam in May, so if all else fails i will just become a firefighter. Id really like to follow my childhood dream and become a fighter pilot lol :D

The best backup plan is a temporary one - one that will also improve your application in the interim.

Don't give up if it's what you want to do. Substitutes will never cut it. Especially if you guys are young - just keep trying, but be smart about it also!!

I had applied 3 times and was ready to give up. I was accepted to 3 masters programs but was about to start on a master's in forensic science. I got accepted on Dec 1st so now I have to tell everyone I will not be attending the master's progam.

I was really getting excited about the forensic science program after I went to visit my mentor but dentistry has always been my passion.

I take the State firefighter license exam in May, so if all else fails i will just become a firefighter. Id really like to follow my childhood dream and become a fighter pilot lol :D

I dunno...you look like you have a career in theft if you ask me....steeling my avatar and all

Why would you want to work on Wall street? Sure you can make a lot of money, I mean A LOT of money, but what good is it if you're living far from home in a cramped manhattan apartment in the middle of one of the busiest and most stressful cities doing very stressful work and constantly second guessing your investment decisions?

You life would revolve around money, whereas the point of money is to make it possible for you to live an enjoyable, healthy and relaxed life. Greed ruins lives, that's why a lot of folks and wall street are depressed alcoholics, esp. in today's market.

You can make money off the stock market as a dentist trading from home anyways :)

Yesterday my sister was giving me **** because she thinks dentistry is boring and Im settling. She wants me to go to law school or get my MBA so I can get a job on Wall Street. Of course she goes to Columbia for grad school.

I meant to quote this lol

Medical Technologist, my current job, but I got in :D

Great job :-D hope to work it while in D school

Seriously, I hope I don't have to resort to it, but probably go to grad school for nutrition. It's my undergrad degree and I love it, but it is NOT my passion like dentistry! :smuggrin: