What is your Preferred Grading System in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissionDental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN People,

As future dental students, what is your preferred grading system? Pass/no pass, pass/no pass/honors, or a traditional letter based system. Of course there are pros and cons for each and it also depends on whether you want to specialize or become a general dentist. Should this be an important issue when making a final decision on a school?

What are your thoughts...

Members don't see this ad.

regardless of whether i specialize or not, i think pass/no pass is the best way to go. i don't want to have to stress about grades and the difference between an 89.4 and an 89.5.

regardless of whether i specialize or not, i think pass/no pass is the best way to go. i don't want to have to stress about grades and the difference between an 89.4 and an 89.5.

P/F would be the way to go -- all the schools I was accepted to were traditional grading, so I didn't have a choice. And this year, a lot of our classes are 90.0 is an A, so even if you have an 89.5 or 89.99, you get a B. And an 82 is the cutoff for a B in some of our classes this year, and a 75 a C. It's frustrating because in one particular class I have made 80s on the 2 exams, which is generally a B, but it is now a C.