MissionDental

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2008
CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello SDN People,

As future dental students, what is your preferred grading system? Pass/no pass, pass/no pass/honors, or a traditional letter based system. Of course there are pros and cons for each and it also depends on whether you want to specialize or become a general dentist. Should this be an important issue when making a final decision on a school?

What are your thoughts...

cobalt31

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2006
MI
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
regardless of whether i specialize or not, i think pass/no pass is the best way to go. i don't want to have to stress about grades and the difference between an 89.4 and an 89.5.

mamelons

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
regardless of whether i specialize or not, i think pass/no pass is the best way to go. i don't want to have to stress about grades and the difference between an 89.4 and an 89.5.

P/F would be the way to go -- all the schools I was accepted to were traditional grading, so I didn't have a choice. And this year, a lot of our classes are 90.0 is an A, so even if you have an 89.5 or 89.99, you get a B. And an 82 is the cutoff for a B in some of our classes this year, and a 75 a C. It's frustrating because in one particular class I have made 80s on the 2 exams, which is generally a B, but it is now a C.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.