What is your schedule like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tealeafexplorer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many patients do you see a day?

How much time do you get to spend with each patient?

How long are your days?

What is your practice setting?

Why did you choose this specialty?

What is your call like?

Would you choose this specialty again?

Members don't see this ad.

How many patients do you see a day?

How much time do you get to spend with each patient?

How long are your days?

What is your practice setting?

Why did you choose this specialty?

What is your call like?

Would you choose this specialty again?

Great questions!

As a fellow, it depends on the service.

Scheduled for clinic one day per week. We have a cap of 4 patients with the option to add-on 1 if we wish. I typically choose to have the add-on when someone needs close monitoring -- say H&N cancer doing a course of radiation. If the options are to be seen by me as an add-on, or not be seen and to suffer until my next regular slot opens up, I'm going to put them as an add-on and stay later so be it.

I have 2 types of appointment windows -- 90 minute intakes and 45 minute follow-ups (so, yes, plenty of time for patients/families).

Clinic goes from 8-5p. One hour lunch. If your schedule ends at 4 and you're done with your tasks at 4 -- go home at 4.

When I'm on the consult service, I typically carry about 6 patients per day. Days start at 8a and end at 4-5pm. One hour lunch.

When I'm on the inpatient palliative unit, you are in charge of the census -- it is a budding program in its infancy -- so that is usually 3-6 patients. One hour lunch.

GIP hospice typically 2-7 patients on census. One hour lunch.

I spend as much time as I want with the patients on inpatient settings, no one is timing me. Remind mindful that consults might be building up, or there might be other patients with more acute needs -- so don't get too reckless with time.

I choose this field because providing subspecialty-focused care to patients at the end-of-life, or battling known serious illness, is an extremely rewarding endeavor that is overwhelmingly appreciated by the patient, their family, and their consulting team. You literally relieve palpable suffering for a living. Pain, nausea, dyspnea, emotional suffering, et al. Providing a person with a graceful experience of death is one of the best gifts which can be given to a patient and their loved ones -- you get to do that every day in this profession.

I take 1 week call every 4th week. This is overnight call from home. Calls range from 0-8 per night. My last call week was a no-hitter, zero calls. That isn't always the case. There is the possibility that you need to go physically into the hospital overnight if there is an extremely compelling reason. This is rare, maybe a few times per year. I go in and round on patients/see emergent consults on Sat and Sun of call weeks.

My attending job is at a large academic institution. slated for 80% inpatient, 20% clinic, no hospice currently. 8-5 standard, M-F service. Call is about Q6 weeks, the fellows and PA/NP will take first call and I'll serve as backup call during those weeks (still need to round on weekends). 7 weeks pto. 300k + bonus. My commute will be 10 minutes. East half of the US. I look forward to it.

Yes, I'd choose this field again. every. single. time.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Great questions!

As a fellow, it depends on the service.

Scheduled for clinic one day per week. We have a cap of 4 patients with the option to add-on 1 if we wish. I typically choose to have the add-on when someone needs close monitoring -- say H&N cancer doing a course of radiation. If the options are to be seen by me as an add-on, or not be seen and to suffer until my next regular slot opens up, I'm going to put them as an add-on and stay later so be it.

I have 2 types of appointment windows -- 90 minute intakes and 45 minute follow-ups (so, yes, plenty of time for patients/families).

Clinic goes from 8-5p. One hour lunch. If your schedule ends at 4 and you're done with your tasks at 4 -- go home at 4.

When I'm on the consult service, I typically carry about 6 patients per day. Days start at 8a and end at 4-5pm. One hour lunch.

When I'm on the inpatient palliative unit, you are in charge of the census -- it is a budding program in its infancy -- so that is usually 3-6 patients. One hour lunch.

GIP hospice typically 2-7 patients on census. One hour lunch.

I spend as much time as I want with the patients on inpatient settings, no one is timing me. Remind mindful that consults might be building up, or there might be other patients with more acute needs -- so don't get too reckless with time.

I choose this field because providing subspecialty-focused care to patients at the end-of-life, or battling known serious illness, is an extremely rewarding endeavor that is overwhelmingly appreciated by the patient, their family, and their consulting team. You literally relieve palpable suffering for a living. Pain, nausea, dyspnea, emotional suffering, et al. Providing a person with a graceful experience of death is one of the best gifts which can be given to a patient and their loved ones -- you get to do that every day in this profession.

I take 1 week call every 4th week. This is overnight call from home. Calls range from 0-8 per night. My last call week was a no-hitter, zero calls. That isn't always the case. There is the possibility that you need to go physically into the hospital overnight if there is an extremely compelling reason. This is rare, maybe a few times per year. I go in and round on patients/see emergent consults on Sat and Sun of call weeks.

My attending job is at a large academic institution. slated for 80% inpatient, 20% clinic, no hospice currently. 8-5 standard, M-F service. Call is about Q6 weeks, the fellows and PA/NP will take first call and I'll serve as backup call during those weeks (still need to round on weekends). 7 weeks pto. 300k + bonus. My commute will be 10 minutes. East half of the US. I look forward to it.

Yes, I'd choose this field again. every. single. time.

7 weeks pto + 300k+bonus seems like that’s a lot of pay and PTO. Is this quote normal for palliative jobs??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
7 weeks pto + 300k+bonus seems like that’s a lot of pay and PTO. Is this quote normal for palliative jobs??

Your pause is well-founded.
It is not the normal average for the field. It is clearly attainable however!

Average for total comp would be more in the 225-250 range. As you know, there are going to be two tails to that curve. This position happened to be more toward the right.

Some places are more willing to negotiate salary than others. For those others, you can sometimes make headway with PTO/CME/etc.

Frazier I appreciate your posts about HPM, it has taught me a fair bit. Is palliative medicine more wide open for some specialties than others? For example psychiatry vs EM? IM vs neuro? Do you know HPM physicians that come from all specialties that are eligible to pursue the fellowship?

Thank you!

Frazier I appreciate your posts about HPM, it has taught me a fair bit. Is palliative medicine more wide open for some specialties than others? For example psychiatry vs EM? IM vs neuro? Do you know HPM physicians that come from all specialties that are eligible to pursue the fellowship?

Thank you!

Fellowships are available from the approved boards. These are listed below. If you are coming from a specialty besides those listed below, then it will be much much much more complex to get into fellowship. Otherwise, (peds aside) some programs do have a preference for IM/FM trained fellows. Most are open to all. Very few will display their preference openly on their website.

Below is the current breakdown of HPM certified docs in the respective primary specialties:

Internal Medicine4751
Family Medicine1931
Pediatrics346
Emergency Medicine176
Psychiatry & Neurology144
Anesthesiology136
Surgery80
Obstetrics & Gynecology80
Radiology69
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation59
Preventive Medicine7
ABMS Subtotal7779

I have personally met folks out of IM, FM, EM, Gas, Psych, PMR, neuro, and surgery.

I haven't met one of the 69 radiology-trained HPM docs, but they are out there somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Fellowships are available from the approved boards. These are listed below. If you are coming from a specialty besides those listed below, then it will be much much much more complex to get into fellowship. Otherwise, (peds aside) some programs do have a preference for IM/FM trained fellows. Most are open to all. Very few will display their preference openly on their website.

Below is the current breakdown of HPM certified docs in the respective primary specialties:

Internal Medicine4751
Family Medicine1931
Pediatrics346
Emergency Medicine176
Psychiatry & Neurology144
Anesthesiology136
Surgery80
Obstetrics & Gynecology80
Radiology69
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation59
Preventive Medicine7
ABMS Subtotal7779

I have personally met folks out of IM, FM, EM, Psych, PMR, neuro, and surgery.

I haven't met one of the 69 radiology-trained HPM docs, but they are out there somewhere.
So helpful to see. Thank you!!

“Radiology” could be radiation oncology which is under the same Boards organization as radiology. Radonc is eligible for HPM training and a few pursue it as a sub specialty interest. About 1/4th or so of our patients are palliative. Some big programs are on-board with the idea of having an HPM trained person. Traci Balboni is one person in this area but not sure if she did dedicated HPM fellowship or not.

Last edited:
Radiology” could be radiation oncology which is under the same Boards organization as radiology. Radonc is eligible for HPM training and a few pursue it as a sub specialty interest. About 1/4th or so of our patients are palliative. Some big programs are on-board with the idea of having an HPM trained person. Traci Balbobi is one person in this area but not sure if she did dedicated HPM residency or not.

Excellent points!