What job am I qualified for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so my past three weeks have been spent with trying to find a clinical job. I have applied to probably 20+ jobs and have only received one response. Three patient representative and ER tech jobs declined me via email. I have been looking to enroll in CNA or Medical assistant classes but they take many months and can cause hundreds if not thousands of dollars which I dont have. I only have an assosciate degree, pretty good gpa working towards bachelors (3.84) and pharmacy tech experience (2 and 1/2 years). Any recommendations about easy to get jobs in hospitals. All i see available are CNA or medical assistant which require the certification and insane tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

Depending on your state, phlebotomy may not need certification.

Reactions: 1 user
hospital coffee / gift-shop

jk. scribe though? (bad pay)

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical receptionist!

Why don't you keep working as pharm tech?

Why don't you keep working as pharm tech?
Many reasons, but the number one reason is that I need clinical experience and medical schools and even PA schools dont consider being a pharmacy tech as being clinical nor direct patient experience

Many reasons, but the number one reason is that I need clinical experience and medical schools and even PA schools dont consider being a pharmacy tech as being clinical nor direct patient experience

I'm actually a pharmacy tech too. You could be a patient transporter at the hospital.

Reactions: 1 users
Many PA schools will take pharm tech experience. Medical schools do not particularly value healthcare experience outside of some shadowing and volunteering.

Many PA schools will take pharm tech experience. Medical schools do not particularly value healthcare experience outside of some shadowing and volunteering.
I dont really know, I thought I would get a once a week or a twice a week hospital job and have a folder in my med school plan I can file under clinical experience. I heard people on here saying that hospice care also counts as clinical experience but all the jobs i could find in hospice care required CNA certification. Even if some med schools or pa schools look well upon pharmacy experience, I feel that it is only .001% of them and many of them will throw my application in the trash if i dont bulk up my hospital exposure.

I dont really know, I thought I would get a once a week or a twice a week hospital job and have a folder in my med school plan I can file under clinical experience. I heard people on here saying that hospice care also counts as clinical experience but all the jobs i could find in hospice care required CNA certification. Even if some med schools or pa schools look well upon pharmacy experience, I feel that it is only .001% of them and many of them will throw my application in the trash if i dont bulk up my hospital exposure.

You can just volunteer

I've actually applied to PA schools with next to non-existent healthcare experience, and gotten quite a few interviews already. It's not what it used to be with required experience and most schools this day are more into stats than healthcare experience. I wouldn't bother with hospital experience. Finish your prereqs, take the admission test, and apply.

Hospitals are not looking to hire CNAs to work 1-2 days/week anyway. MAs need a one year certificate and scribing is no more hands on than pharm tech.

I'm actually a pharmacy tech too. You could be a patient transporter at the hospital.
Thanks !
You can just volunteer
I am falling back to volunteering and its looking like Im going to have to end up doing that. I have nothing against volunteering but I do need that extra money for food and gas money. Thought I would get some job ideas from sdn before giving up and settling on volunteering.

I've actually applied to PA schools with next to non-existent healthcare experience, and gotten quite a few interviews already. It's not what it used to be with required experience and most schools this day are more into stats than healthcare experience. I wouldn't bother with hospital experience. Finish your prereqs, take the admission test, and apply.

Hospitals are not looking to hire CNAs to work 1-2 days/week anyway. MAs need a one year certificate and scribing is no more hands on than pharm tech.
Good point, thanks for the help

I was in your position. I just worked as a pharm tech and then set aside one day a week to volunteer for a few hours. I also shadowed a doctor every couple of months. It wasn't groundbreaking stuff, but I had money to pay my rent and I had all of the clinical experience I needed.

Seems like you would get the "clinical experience" when you volunteer. Also seems highly unlikely any such experience for which you would be paid, given your occupational experience, would be at a level that would dazzle any prospective med school.

I have had trouble finding work. I took EMT-B class and have little job/educational experience besides that.
I am about to just start volunteering in a medical setting and continue working for money in fast food (only job experience).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks For the feedback guys, I've completely given up looking for a new job so I'm gonna keep my pharmacy tech job working once a week and volunteer in hospital setting whenever I can. Didn't realize getting a job would be this difficult :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reach up and apply pressure to the left or right side of your neck just below your jawline. If you feel a throbbing there, you're qualified for a scribe job.

Reach up and apply pressure to the left or right side of your neck just below your jawline. If you feel a throbbing there, you're qualified for a scribe job.
This doesn't really make me feel better since I ve already applied to sribeamerica but havent heard back yet after a month :( lol