What Keeps You Going to Work Every Morning?

Started by filter07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

debt?
hope?
fear of failure?
shame?
you love the work?

These seem like reasons everyone goes to work every day, not just surgery residents.

Other reasons:

-you weren't born a billionaire
-you have a curious mind, and you'd be bored not going somewhere to work every morning
-you like the folks you work with
-your job is rewarding
-the good aspects of your job compensate for the bad aspects
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I truly enjoy what I do. There are a lot of days I'd prefer to enjoy my day starting around 9 instead of 5, but such as life in surgery.
 
overall, the patients, operating, and working with co-residents, in that order.
 
i need money. im on transplant right now🙁 so not having lots of fun
 
The cat won't get a job to support us.

Fear of Sallie Mae thugs.

To show off my new shoes to the girls.

Blueberry pancakes in the cafeteria.

I don't feel as lazy if I go to work in PJs than if I stay home in them.

Steal supplies for my medicine cabinet.
 
The cat won't get a job to support us.

Fear of Sallie Mae thugs.

To show off my new shoes to the girls.

Blueberry pancakes in the cafeteria.

I don't feel as lazy if I go to work in PJs than if I stay home in them.

Steal supplies for my medicine cabinet.

Ditto.
 
Waiting for the inevitable page, "Chief Surgical Resident STAT to the ER!" getting there and then finding the ED attending panicking over having placed yet another chest tube into the:

a) liver
b) spleen
c) bowel
d) heart

The ED and its attending and resident staff is a never-ending source of entertainment for me. Medicine's next best though...
 
What keeps me going in to work everyday?

The cute senior resident on service this month. 👍