What keeps you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acsb_21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN has been a wonderful resource as I (and countless others) navigate undergrad on a premed track. However, the sheer wealth of information available is both helpful and overwhelming at times. What are the main drivers that keep you going when you feel snowed under with studies, technical information, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Having a life and interests outside of medicine and school is essential for me. I knew I would be devastated if I were to not get in, but its important to not stake your entire self-worth on the thoughts of adcoms and professors. Medicine should be one very important part of your life, not the whole thing.

edit: oh, specifically, lol whoops: traveling, cooking, reading, strength training, eating and drinking with friends

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
cheap wine, good cheese and the occasional wilderness getaway to clear my mind of everything medicine or academic related

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
therapy, friends, rock climbing, art, and the knowledge that the application process is temporary

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
cheap beer and a dark sense of humor

Reactions: 2 users
Honestly music is my favorite way of handling emotions. Depending on the mood that could range from RHCP, Iron and Wine, Classical, or some Latin if I need a pump up lol.

When I am stressed, I definitely seem to lean more towards Iron & Wine/Gregory Alan Isakov type music.

Listening to music, singing in choirs, spending time with my friends and family, going to breweries and trying new beers/cider, good food, SLEEP, and baking :love:

Too lazy to actually make myself marketable for a CS job. Too many posts on SDN to quit premed.

Reactions: 3 users
Looming student debt

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
And watching drag race I assume
1575640026937.gif

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
It helps a lot to see why I'm doing all this. I get out and volunteer, shadow, spend time around patients. I love seeing science applied to medicine. I work as an ophthalmic technician and it is so satisfying to have someone come in that can't see and do a refraction and they can see better than they ever thought possible. It is super rewarding. Try to find something where you can help people out. It's great!

Also, my family. My daughter and I built a lego airplane the other night and it was really fun... find stuff that you love to do outside of school, work, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Staying off of social media/comparing myself to others and remaining confident in the fact that medicine is for me. When my time comes I'll get an acceptance

Staying off of social media/comparing myself to others and remaining confident in the fact that medicine is for me. When my time comes I'll get an acceptance

I stopped using social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) entirely about a year ago and it has been really liberating... most of that stuff is a waste of time IMO.

Having worked full-time in healthcare for a couple of years is what keeps me going. I would never want to work as a tech or a nurse. Adderal and cannabis also helps.

Picture where you could be in a few years and you´ll get there if you keep up the hard work.

Your gonna get a tone of advice along the way but just remember that while some of it will be useful, not all of it will work for you. Build on what works and discard the rest. Tailor your approach to you, work like you´ve never worked, and with a little patience you´ll get there.