What keeps you going?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cdmccart

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I made the decision to pursue a career in medicine, I've never once doubted it. My passion and dedication is strong and I know that I have what it takes. Despite all this, when it's 2am and I have a chemistry lab report and 6 hours of physics lab report it's hard to keep myself motivated. I just want to sleep, but of course I can't do that. I was wondering what helps keep you focused and motivated when you're buried in school work with no time because of all the ECs.

EDIT: Sorry for the identical thread... when I typed in the subject it didn't show any similar threads.

Members don't see this ad.

Prioritize. Get enough sleep and proper food. Don't go overboard on the EC's to the extent that they get in the way of your giving sufficient attention to your studies or health.

Spread the work out thoughout the week and weekends so that you don't have all that to do at 2AM. Your mind is not sharp at this time of night. Chem & physics are both math heavy. Working on that stuff when you're fresh and wide awake makes it go much faster than trying to do it when you're worn out.You save time by doing things that involve thinking when you do them while your mind is sharp. Get in the habit of following a basic planned study routine, and put the studies before any EC's. Beg off some of the EC's when your load is heaviest.

What helps me most when I hit a bump is keeping a running countdown of how much time is left until the end of the semester. Knowing that there is an end in sight & that it's constantly getting closer does wonders.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other things keep me going

I barely have money and I have to decline a lot of easy hanging out that costs $$$, $$, or even $, but finding time to hang out with people is very important to me
not what we do so much as that we do things. People give me energy.
Im like some sort of...energy vampire. I vant to suck your bloo..I mean funnnn.

My volunteer job is one of the funnest activities I am doing right now even though it saps my hours, I could be tired and cranky but always feeling good that I went. Not all my volunteer stuff has left this impression on me but this one I like a lot so it feels "more right" I guess.

"Make it till AUgust just Make it Till aUgust "
My mantra of the year.

What keeps me going is the thought of needing to get as many A's as possible for Hopkins. Then I began to tell myself late at night "If I can't do this...I won't be able to handle it when I become a resident..I need to handle this!" But honestly, the one thing that always keeps me motviated is my future, I want to help people, I want to earn good money for the future family I will have, and I can't do that if I slack off.