What kind of computer do you have/like/admire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think most research universities offer some kind of SPSS license. I paid $10 for a year for mine and it comes with the works (all the extra analyses, AMOS, etc.).

That being said I really hate SPSS 16 (though I haven't patched yet, hopefully that fixes things).

The new version is slow as hell, full of bugs, and just an enormous step down in almost every way from the old versions. I don't know what the hell is wrong with 2007/2008 software, but it seems like almost all the "new" versions of things that came out in the last year were worse than the originals!

What is the deal with the new version of SPSS? I was reading on their website that they only offer rental copies for the "graduate pack" now? Is this true?

I also saw that they incorporated Java into v.16 which sounded pretty neat, but not if it has problems like you say.

Members don't see this ad.

Going back to computers....this may be a silly question but how do you purchase a computer with an APA discount? (assuming of course you're already an APA member/student affiliate) I definitely need to get a new computer though I need to save as much as possible and would like to take advantage of the APA discounts offered...if only I knew how :p

Going back to computers....this may be a silly question but how do you purchase a computer with an APA discount? (assuming of course you're already an APA member/student affiliate) I definitely need to get a new computer though I need to save as much as possible and would like to take advantage of the APA discounts offered...if only I knew how :p

Right through the APA website...
http://www.apa.org/membership/comptech.html

If you are buying from DELL they say, "Start shopping the Dell Small Business website now to customize the systems and printers you need to fuel your business.When you are ready to purchase simply call your dedicated sales representative at 1-888-506-3355 to place your order. Your sales representative will apply your APA Member discount to your order! (Mon. - Fri. 7am - 9pm or Sat. 8am - 6pm CST)"

Members don't see this ad :)
What the last poster said about Dell.

Also be aware that "discount" is a fuzzy term for "barter with me". Dig around for Dell coupons, etc. and pretend to waiver on whether or not want to get it. The rep "Went to ask their manager" and miraculously was able to give me another $100 off what my original discounted price was.

Desktops in particular have a HUGE markup as anyone who has built their own can tell you. Dell less so than many others, but even an individual can stamp a desktop out for sooo little money, when you add in the bulk discount I'm sure these companies are getting from Intel and the like, the markups are massive. This leaves alot of room for price negotiation with them still cutting a profit.

As for SPSS - I don't use the grad pack so I don't know. Is that the one that has some ridiculous limit on how many variables you can include to the point of rendering it almost useless? Or is that a different "student version"?

I haven't had a need to futz with Java yet, but I'll let you know if I do. I was just referring to basic analyses. It takes for-freakin-ever just to run a factor analysis, when 15 did it almost instantly.

I agree with Ollie about Dell and deal hunting across their 'stores', etc.

Here is a thread with some good info, though YMMV on some of the model #'s listed since this is from 2007. Vista is a bit more stable now, so that should be less of a concern now. I listed a few websites to check out.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=417174

I agree with Jon; buy components and build a computer if you're into desktop PCs. I built my last two desktops, and spent about 1/5 what an equivalent computer was going for retail. It's not especially difficult (well, mounting the processor was freaky on the first one but I think they just snap together now).

I have a TINY Gateway laptop. Really small. It doesn't even have an internal optical drive (it came with an external and I've only used it half a dozen times). Super powerful though. LOVE it.

Originally I had intended to sync my notebook and desktop but that was a pain, so I just have the notebook sitting on my desk with my nice widescreen monitor plugged into it.

So this is sort of a post-script kind of question, but what types of computers are best for people who are interested in doing imaging work? I plan on working with fMRIs in my new grad position and am curious what types of systems I need to analyze the data, run Matlab, etc. I have already purchased my new computer, but am curious as to people's opinions about this.

And a mirrored backup and/or external drive would be a good idea. I'd RAID it, but that is the tech geek in me.

What happens to your data when one HDD fails in the array? I thought about doing this since I have some older HDDs lying around but was afraid to due to the fear that one drive may fail and I'd loose crucial data (i.e. my thesis).

For work/data related things, I like multi-core processors. I tend to use a multiple desktop setup as well (two monitors), so a video card with dual DVI outputs can be useful. You want a nice bit of ram. 64 bit vista supports 4 gigs actively. That's useful especially for multi-tasking (along with those multiple cores for the CPU). If you're like me, you'll have a couple of web browsers open, a stats program, at least one instance or word, maybe exel or powerpoint (or both, depending), outlook (insert calendar program here), an MP3 player, a few notepad tabs, and possibly a matlab application. I like for all of that to run smoothly, so as I said . . . multi-core processor, 4 gigs of ram, a 64 bit OS, and a nice video card. The computer build I suggested above would work well. Data storage is cheap these days too, so a nice sized and quick hard drive is a good addition.

I couldn't agree more. I'm running Vista 64 Ultimate on a Asus P5E board, Intel Quadcore Q6600 @ 2.40 ghz (stock speed) and 8GB of ram. The machine is rather quick when opening programs and playing games but really comes alive when I'm encoding video. The ability to multitask is wonderful with the new muti core processors. I definately recommed one if you're on the market for a new computer.

<snip>

As for SPSS - I don't use the grad pack so I don't know. Is that the one that has some ridiculous limit on how many variables you can include to the point of rendering it almost useless? Or is that a different "student version"?

<snip>

No, the "regular" student version (that typically comes packaged with stats textbooks or that you can purchase yourself for approx. $75-100) is the one that limits variables (25? or some freakishly low number). The grad pack is unlimited and comes with a bunch of extra schtuff (and thus costs more). I've been using v. 15 for the last year with no problems and it's done everything I needed it to do.

I like computers that are solid with good specs. IBM or Fujitsu is good. You might want to consider a tablet too if you want to take all ur notes on it. (makes drawing graphs go alot faster) I have the Fujitsu Notebook tablet.

That depends on the type of array, but generally it is a backup to your data (more likely not to lose it).

For anyone wondering what we are talking about: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redundant_array_of_independent_disks)

I'd do a RAID 1 setup, as a RAID 3 would be a bit of overkill. With HD's being very cheap, it is a no brainer.

100px-RAID_1.svg.png

A RAID 1 offers redundant coverage, so if 1 HD dies, the other has it. Having off-site coverage can also offer piece of mind. I used a gmail account and web server to send periodic updates so you have something off-site. Of course, I didn't do this until *AFTER* my server and laptop died in two freak accidents.....so it was a lesson learned.

As an aside, you could also get an external drive (a bit more, but only marginally) with backup software, and then set for nightly updates. I've been meaning to do this, but I haven't gotten around to it....as I do manual updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, this has gone way over my head :p

I think I have narrowed it down to a Macbook pro or an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad or Ideapad. ...:idea:

wow, this has gone way over my head :p

Jon got me going with geek speak. :D

I think I have narrowed it down to a Macbook pro or an IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad or Ideapad. ...:idea:

Any of those would be great. I read a bit about the Ideapad and it seems that it wants to jump on the ThinkPad name, while being a 'slicker' consumer brand. Decent enough, though they throw a bunch of stuff on there to raise the price....mostly multimedia stuff that some people will find useful, others not as much.

I just purchased (literally, like 1/2 an hour ago) a Dell XPS laptop. I really wanted a MacBook Pro (as I am a lover of Macs through and through) but I just couldn't afford it at this time. I got a discount through my UG on the dell so I was able to upgrade the hard drive a bit for under 2k. Plus I got an external hard drive that matched the computer! What can I say, I like everything to match (in this case, tuxedo blue). I did listen to your advice, T4C, and bought the extended warranty :p

P.S.- I've noticed since joining SDN that I have a love of smiley faces :D

does anyone have any thoughts on the modified version of the macbook? its called the modbook tablet. its not officially from apple, but it just looks cool. thoughts?

does anyone have any thoughts on the modified version of the macbook? its called the modbook tablet. its not officially from apple, but it just looks cool. thoughts?

The modbook is just a slate tablet and not a convertible-which means no keyboard. I personally prefer to have the keyboard. Although I have not heard any reviews on it.

Rumor has it Asus is teaming up with Mac to produce a convertible tablet. Although its a rumor, apple did file for the patent back in 2005. The tablet supposedly will not resemble their currently existing tablet, such as the R1F-my personal fav right now. However, the keyboard will mimic that of the one on their iphone....and using the same technology for a touchscreen. But as to when its coming out, no one knows....

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49293967,00.htm

There are some software issues with Mac, but I installed Windows on a small partition of the hard drive using Boot Camp, and it works better than a native Windows computer so far. Can't remember if anyone talked about that or not.

I have a mac laptop that is setup that way. It works well, but not better than a "native" windows machine. Afterall, the hardware structure is no different. I imagine differences you notice probably are related to the hardware components you've used previously. By far the fastest machine I've used is one I built that uses a 64 bit vista installation. But, if I were to compare the 32 bit vista installation on my core 2 duo based macbook to the old dell in my office running Windows 2000, I'd think the same thing if I didn't know better. I have noticed on the Macbook, because I have vista on it, I almost never use OSX. Due to the need for compatibility, all my work programs are windows based and I am too lazy to reboot into osX to surf the net. I've considered removing osX from the macbook, actually. Wouldn't that be funny?
Hm. The difference is probably due to my Windows laptop being 3 years old (although it was running XP), and that I'm only running my analysis software on the Windows portion of the Mac, so it's not very cluttered. I hated to do the install as I was hoping to be done with Windows forever, but what can you do.

I've been away from the thread for a while bc I've had serious computer problems. But before you go bashing macs, I will add that apple fixed my laptop for free, including free shipping both ways. The customer support with apple has always been top notch, imo.

So I think I'm resurrecting this thread, but I'm neck deep in laptop research and was hoping for some advice/opinions...

I am considering either the Dell Latitude D430 or the Lenovo x61 tablet. Except for the tablet aspect, I think they are of fairly similar quality. I know a number of people who use the Dell for work and really like it. As for the Lenovo, I have an old IBM right now and love the touchpoint mouse, quality, etc.

Both are fairly pricey, but I really want to know if anyone has had any experience with the tablet version of the X61? How does it work? Is it worth it? Would you recommend Vista or the tablet version of XP?
I'm a big hand-writer of notes (I'm a slow typer) so I really think the tablet would come in handy, but I don't know anyone who has one... thoughts? experiences?

Last edited:
Just bought a MacBook Pro and immediately came to realize the benefit of a simplistic and minimalistic design in that it epitomizes efficiency and reliability in its functions. Looking forward to getting acquianted with Macs from this point forward, although I'm sure I will continue to use PC/Windows set ups as well (at times with great frustration).

Just bought a MacBook Pro and immediately came to realize the benefit of a simplistic and minimalistic design in that it epitomizes efficiency and reliability in its functions. Looking forward to getting acquianted with Macs from this point forward, although I'm sure I will continue to use PC/Windows set ups as well (at times with great frustration).

You'll love it. I'm a recent Mac convert (in the last two years vs. a whole life of PCs) and I'll never go back. If you need Windows for any applications, you can always install it on your Mac since it uses the Intel chip. You can also use Parallels, a Mac software that has gotten great reviews from everyone I know who uses it.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm turning Mac too! I never thought I'd jump on the bandwagon, but I'm going to get a Macbook Pro tomorrow :cool: Maybe it was those commercials with the Bill Gates look-alike haha.

i'm going to get a macbook pro in the next couple of weeks, but can't decide between glossy and matte. right now i'm leaning towards matte because that's what i have on my powerbook and work computer. anybody have an opinion?

I don't think it matters that much. I have the standard glossy screen on my Macbook and it looks fine (it gets smudgy, but you can only tell when it's off). A lot of people seem to prefer matte though.

For what it's worth, I don't see a huge advantage to getting a Macbook Pro over a Macbook, if you compare the specs, at least not commensurate to the price difference, unless you desperately need aluminum or a bigger screen.

macs are for the rich and the famous. what about us the poor ones..

i was thinking about the sony ones. they look decent. anyone has a sony?

For we poor ones, check out fatwallet or slickdeals forums. Often they have some really good deals on Dell/HP.

No, no! that's a myth :) My MacBook was at least $200 cheaper than either of my PC notebooks!

I just ordered my gateway tablet directly from gateway.com. They were having a sale and I was able to barter a little bit too. I ended up getting the C141X for $1000 with a 3 year basic and accidental warranty, oh and a free bag after rebate :)

All the reviews on the website were very positive, so I'm really excited! I always wanted a tablet pc but I thought they were too expensive. I was so glad when I saw this deal. I'll report back next week, once it's arrived and let you know. I just hope its fast!!!

Anybody have this tablet pc or know anybody that does?

Just to update, I got the 15" macbook Pro and I absolutely love it. Within 20 minutes it was up and running and I haven't had a complaint since :D