What kind of glide year jobs do adcoms like to see?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tofurkey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of searching for a medically-related glide year job, and I'm wondering if anyone out there thinks some types are better than others. So far I've been applying for clinical research assistant and medical assistant. I'm having a lot of problems, though--my resumes seem to get me nowhere and I've exhausted my networks too.

Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,

T

Members don't see this ad.

I have an unrelated question. How is the taste of Tofurkey? It looks kind of different... compared to Quorn, how does it taste?

I went to this vegetarian restaurant once and man, everything looked and smelled like meat. I was so excited to see all these dishes of beef and fish, but when I bit down, I felt utterly deceived :mad: I think that most of the imitation meats are made of tofu.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Tofurkey,

I would imagine that you could do a bunch of different things. If you can't get a science kind of job, then get a regular job somewhere but then volunteer on weekends and evenings in a hospital or with whatever you really like doing (helping people learn to read or whatever). The good thing about hospitals is that they are always open, so you can do the evening and weekend thing.

You could teach kids math or biology or earth science. The schools like to see a decent year, but it doesn't have to be research at a bigname lab. Most people have to support themselves somehow, and as long as the overall package is good, you should be fine. I am doing an AmeriCorp year and most interviewers hardly even asked about what I was doing. One guy did, because he said his daughter was interested in AmeriCorps, and what did I think of it (I didn't like this interviewer so much ... :rolleyes: ).

ifailedmcat said:
I went to this vegetarian restaurant once and man, everything looked and smelled like meat. I was so excited to see all these dishes of beef and fish, but when I bit down, I felt utterly deceived :mad: I think that most of the imitation meats are made of tofu.

I think that's ok though. Just that the food tastes good, it doesn't have to taste like meat.

Yea don't get me wrong, the food was decent, but it's kinda weird biting in something that tastes and looks like fish. Hell, it even had imitation bones!

ifailedmcat said:
Yea don't get me wrong, the food was decent, but it's kinda weird biting in something that tastes and looks like fish. Hell, it even had imitation bones!

WTF even imitation bones.

I went to a restaurant like that.

The serve seitan (chicken subsitute) and even though I hate veggies, its quite yummy.