What kind of job should I get by the beginning of the fall semester.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Undergrad freshmen and I hope to get a cetified license for a career in a heatlth field. That way I can get clinical experince and money to pay for college. Its a win - win situation. What course should I take that would seem mostly valuable for the price given below?

Phlebotomy Technician $499.00
Medical Biller $349.00
Certified Nurse's Aid $799.00
Pharmacy Assistant $799.00
EKG Technician $499.00
Nurse Technician $799.00
Medical Assistant $4500.00
Dialysis Tech $995.00
Phlebotomy and EKG Combo $799.00 (save $200)

Members don't see this ad.

A medical biller (coding expert) would not get any clinical experience, but would provide familiarity with medical terminology. Also, it would be a day job. Probably you want something that would fit better around a class schedule.

I had a friend who became an EKG tech and worked his way through college with pm shifts. He made great money. Maybe you should look up the hourly wage you could expect with the above training.

I think you need to research these jobs and determine which are most likely to fit best with your school schedule. I had a lot of premed and nursing friends who worked in group homes for disabled people. They usually worked a lot on weekends and this type of job does not require a formal certificate or course. Potentially very flexible hours and a very common employer of college students. So your decision really has nothing to do with the cost of the course, and everything to do with how likely you are to get the job. For example unless you are doing non-traditional course work with night classes you're not going to be able to work a 40hr a week day job (i.e. Medical Assistant). So ask yourself 1) How well would this job fit with my school schedule? (If you are truely interested in pursueing medicine, school needs to be your #1 priority) 2) How much $$ can I make?