• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

What kind of jobs do you med studs have?

gluon999

15+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2002
  1. Resident [Any Field]
    Looks like I am gonna have some free time next year (MS4) and would like to make some cash on the side. Sucks that after 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of med school, we are still not really qualified for anything more than a menial job. I am looking for some ideas...jobs that I could do on weeknights/weekends (and bartending is not my thing).

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Dec 21, 2002
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      The only job that would pay and also help you would be a Kaplan MCAT tutor or something along those lines. Serving coffee or working at GAP is a waste of time and energy.

About the Ads

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
      10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 24, 2006
      Tally/Willkillya County
      psu.facebook.com
      1. Medical Student
        Look off the beaten path for weird stuff, or any hobby that rich people like. I was offered a thousand a day to sail with people because of my size.

You can also make good cash as a personal trainer if you know slightly more than nothing about training. (Which concerns me, but I understand why they would for 15+ bucks an hour)

STXGregor

10+ Year Member
        Jun 17, 2008
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          I was a retail pharm tech through undergrad. We have HEB in TX, but find a grocery chain with a pharm., they're good with ure sched., good pay, and not too menial. Find a busier store, too.

About the Ads

OrnotMajestic

Ugly on the inside, too
          10+ Year Member
          Aug 21, 2004
          www.myspace.com
          1. Resident [Any Field]
            Looks like I am gonna have some free time next year (MS4) and would like to make some cash on the side. Sucks that after 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of med school, we are still not really qualified for anything more than a menial job. I am looking for some ideas...jobs that I could do on weeknights/weekends (and bartending is not my thing).

A girl at my school delivered pizza during her 4th year, as it was mainly evenings/weekends, and provided her with easy spending money.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
            10+ Year Member
            15+ Year Member
            Dec 21, 2002
            1. Resident [Any Field]
              Maybe I should consider doing something similar. You see, I'm quite well endowed...

You could be a horse-man but you would not make as much money as an average female.

Unless, of course, you orient your material to male consumers.

I'll tell you something, dancing for females provides very little income. The only guys that made money dancing were dancing for dudes.

Lil Mick

5+ Year Member
              Apr 23, 2009
              The South
              1. MD/PhD Student
                I'm working as a researcher as part of my program, but other students do this during the summer after MS1 as well. Students can also tutor or TA for anatomy, MCAT prep courses or college courses. Those would probably be the easiest to do.

cheekiemunky

Pre-Medical
                Jun 17, 2009
                1. Pre-Medical
                  You could be a horse-man but you would not make as much money as an average female.

Unless, of course, you orient your material to male consumers.

I'll tell you something, dancing for females provides very little income. The only guys that made money dancing were dancing for dudes.

Not true actually, I have an ex-girlfriend that made between $80 and $90k/year as a stripper (long after I dated her). She was extremely hot though, and working at one of the "classier" places. Yeah.

I'm new, and not into arguing with strangers on message boards, so please don't try. Trolling doesn't work on me. Peace.

McGillGrad

Building Mind and Body
                  10+ Year Member
                  15+ Year Member
                  Dec 21, 2002
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    Not true actually, I have an ex-girlfriend that made between $80 and $90k/year as a stripper (long after I dated her). She was extremely hot though, and working at one of the "classier" places. Yeah.

I'm new, and not into arguing with strangers on message boards, so please don't try. Trolling doesn't work on me. Peace.

Your response had nothing to do with what I said. Are you sure you read my response correctly?

aloepathic

10+ Year Member
                    Apr 10, 2008
                    Durham, NC
                      Eff teaching the MCAT for Kaplan, teach the DAT!

Seriously, I've never had any interest in dentistry, but I taught the MCAT undergrad and will be teaching the DAT in med-school. The DAT is like the MCAT but with less science and therefore a shorter teaching cycle (meaning you have more flexibility with scheduling your semester's teaching). The only thing on the DAT that's not on the MCAT is the perceptional ability questions, but those are basically keyhole problems (through which of the following keyholes would the shape fit if rotated correctly?). Best of all, there are like ZERO teachers who are trained for the DAT at most Kaplan locations so you're guaranteed work whenever you want it!

KeyzerSoze

Scrambled Member
                      10+ Year Member
                      Dec 14, 2005
                      1. Medical Student
                        Stud-Horse.jpg

Corbeaux

Jul 7, 2009
                        South Korea
                        1. Medical Student

Pfft. :laugh:

But in all seriousness... do you have some skills that you could pimp yourself out for? Most of my friends that played an instrument (and there were a lot of them, as most of my friends were either Chinese or Jewish) tutored kids in piano or flute.

A lot of them were math tutors as well, and they weren't especially good at it either... you don't really need to be. Over here, I've tried tutoring kids in English, but I just can't teach, so I translate documents and papers.

About the Ads
                          This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                          7. This thread is locked.