What Kind of Research do Top IM Programs look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kirktumi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am very interested in pursuing IM and then a fellowship after. I was wondering, what kind of specific IM research do top programs like UCSF want to see (granted my Step 2 score is high and LORs are strong).

Edit: I'd be happy with any academic IM program, but it never hurts to dream lol

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not so much about what your research is about but more about your involvement in the research and ability to speak about the research like you owned it. And also the letter from your research mentor will be important as well. Top IM programs are just like top programs in any specialty - students from top tier schools tend to be overrepresented. Try to network at conferences or through mentors if you can and signal strong interest early.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's take a step back from the research question and start with the basics--you need to be excellent academically. Top quartile, majority honors in clinical rotations, great evals from your sub-I, preferably AOA if your school has it, probably a high step 2 in order to interview (unless you have very tight connections) and definitely to rank. So, you need research, but you really need all of it, and don't lose sight of your academic performance in the name of research.

Beyond that, I agree that the exact topic of your research isn't that important. But while you can churn through a good number of case reports/case series, you are going to need one or two larger projects that are more impactful that you can speak at length about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am very interested in pursuing IM and then a fellowship after. I was wondering, what kind of specific IM research do top programs like UCSF want to see (granted my Step 2 score is high and LORs are strong).

Some other information if anyone is familiar with UCSF specifically: I will be attending a Mid-Tier MD School on the East Coast and would love to match to UCSF (although I know my chances are very low). I am not a California resident, but I have spent a year in SF with AmeriCorps working with underserved populations at San Francisco General Hospital and have worked on a couple of different collaboration projects with faculty/staff at UCSF. I also have a lot of extended family in the SF area. Would these two connections help my chances?

Edit: I'd be happy with any academic IM program, but it never hurts to dream lol
I don't think there is a specific research they want more so just having a good story and passion behind your research and how/if it will move your career going forward. If you take a look at UCSFs web page, they have a ton of different tracks that are very well flushed out. So you can do clinical, public health, QI, or basic, and UCSF will continue to help push you towards a career track where the resources are there for you to flourish in residency.

It should be noted that though if you pursue basic science and want to pursue a PSTP track, that is extremely competitive there, even for the best and brightest students because you are essentially applying for IM and your fellowship at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user
Goal should be more broad (ex top 30 im residency or academic im residency in California).

Hi all,

Some other information if anyone is familiar with UCSF specifically: I will be attending a Mid-Tier MD School on the East Coast and would love to match to UCSF (although I know my chances are very low). I am not a California resident, but I have spent a year in SF with AmeriCorps working with underserved populations at San Francisco General Hospital and have worked on a couple of different collaboration projects with faculty/staff at UCSF. I also have a lot of extended family in the SF area. Would these two connections help my chances?

Chances are you're not going to match at UCSF for IM. The connections may help and in the new age of signalling and preferences you may be on better footing. The goal should be to go to an high ranked IM program. The top few IM programs feed off each other's students. They're looking for high steps and school, and then research. You're likely not headed there even if you make up the difference in research unless you do something thousands of other IM applicants dont do. That said, the world is your oyster. You can try.

Last edited: