What kind of medicine does a Plastic Surgeon "practice?"?

BRIAN1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know an MD is an allopathic physician and a DO is an osteopathic physician, but what is a plastic surgeon? I want to know this because I am looking at co
g.gif
lleges that have the appropriate pre medical programs but a lot of them list Allopathic, Osteopathic, Podiatric, etc. but when I look them up, none of them refer to plastic surgery or surgery in any way (for the most part). A prime example of this is Eastern Michigan University. I want to be a plastic surgeon after high school and college but don't know where to begin so thank you so much for answering my question to the best of your ability! :D

Members don't see this ad.

DO and MD can only do plastic surgery. MD may have a better chance securing that type of residency, but it all depends on the med school you go to, your scores, med schools ECs, and interview skills.

I know an MD is an allopathic physician and a DO is an osteopathic physician, but what is a plastic surgeon? I want to know this because I am looking at co
g.gif
lleges that have the appropriate pre medical programs but a lot of them list Allopathic, Osteopathic, Podiatric, etc. but when I look them up, none of them refer to plastic surgery or surgery in any way (for the most part). A prime example of this is Eastern Michigan University. I want to be a plastic surgeon after high school and college but don't know where to begin so thank you so much for answering my question to the best of your ability! :D
To be a plastic surgeon you will need to go to college, take the MCAT, and gain admittance to either an allopathic (M.D.-granting) or osteopathic (D.O.-granting) medical school, preferably an allopathic one. You will then need to perform better than the vast majority of your classmates around the country on Step 1 of the USMLE (a test) and perform exceptionally well in your clinical courses in medical school. You will then need to apply for and match to a residency program in plastic surgery. After 5-6 years you will complete the residency and be a plastic surgeon. You will be at least 30 at this time.

Statistically less than half of all applicants to medical school gain admittance, and a very small percentage of those who complete medical school will enter the field of plastic surgery.

Also, moving to hSDN.

A plastic surgeon is a specific type of surgeon. May I ask why you are interested in doing plastic surgery versus any other type of surgery or medicine?