What kind of program can I get into with this Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

han14tra

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I will be applying to a family medicine residency (90% sure), and I got a 219/93 on Step 1. I really want to stay in state. What do you think my chances are for Penn State Hershey, Penn, Pitt, Geisinger, Jefferson, and other competitive programs in PA?

I can't find the average step 1 scores by program anywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

With a 219, you'll probably get an interview at just about every family med program you apply to. I can't imagine that staying in-state will be an issue at all, especially if you're still on your rural medicine kick.

thats a solid score. If you were gunnin for derm, then maybe a different story. But in my experience talkin with family medicine/peds/IM fields they dont really care that much about step I. Step 2 is important, as well as your clinical performance. Focus on those and youll be golden!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I will be applying to a family medicine residency (90% sure), and I got a 219/93 on Step 1. I really want to stay in state. What do you think my chances are for Penn State Hershey, Penn, Pitt, Geisinger, Jefferson, and other competitive programs in PA?

I can't find the average step 1 scores by program anywhere.

Getting into Derm:
MS: "I've got AOA, 14 years of research in dermatology, a 275 on my step 1, and a shti ton of extracurriculars. I researched your program and wrote you a letter of intent specifically tailored to whatever bull**** you wanted from your website. I did my hair and nails exactly as all the residents do. PLEASE TAKE ME!"

Getting into Family:
Residency Director: "You passed step 1? And you have an MD? Like from an accredited medical school? AND its from the US? Wow. PLEASE COME TO MY PROGRAM!"

I think you're in a good spot. Just dont be a douchebag a-hole and you'll be all set.

Getting into Derm:
MS: "I've got AOA, 14 years of research in dermatology, a 275 on my step 1, and a shti ton of extracurriculars. I researched your program and wrote you a letter of intent specifically tailored to whatever bull**** you wanted from your website. I did my hair and nails exactly as all the residents do. PLEASE TAKE ME!"

Getting into Family:
Residency Director: "You passed step 1? And you have an MD? Like from an accredited medical school? AND its from the US? Wow. PLEASE COME TO MY PROGRAM!"

I think you're in a good spot. Just dont be a douchebag a-hole and you'll be all set.

:laugh: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when Derm becomes less competitive again as it used to be

:laugh: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop when Derm becomes less competitive again as it used to be

I doubt derm will become noncompetitive anytime soon. Too many cash-only procedures that the whole health insurance/Medicare fiasco won't affect.