What Kind Of Research Do Med Schools Look For?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm a Psych Major. Will Medical schools look positively on Psych research or do they only want Bio related research? I'm currently a Psych major but am considering switching to Biological Sciences if it will help get me into Med School.

Members don't see this ad.

Research isn't a prereq, but it does look pretty good on an application. Don't do it just because you feel it's necessary - do it if you feel like it will help you learn and if you enjoy it.

I'm sure psych research would be alright. Basic biomedical research or some type of clinical research might be better, though. I doubt there's a huge difference between different types though, as long as they're legit.

Currently I'm a Psych Major. Will Medical schools look positively on Psych research or do they only want Bio related research? I'm currently a Psych major but am considering switching to Biological Sciences if it will help get me into Med School.

I don't think there is a particular type of research that is the "smoking-gun" for medical school. The best thing you can do is to pursue something that interests you and that will allow you to gain the most experience from. I wouldn't just do research to get into medical school. You should do it because you like it and feel passionate about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any kind that results in a publication and/or a great letter of recomendation?

But you may not get either of these outcomes if you don't like what you are doing...

yeah I agree with the above posters. research of any kind is better than none. Remember that you're not only looking for stuff to slap on your app, but also stuff you can talk about at potential interviews. Various people here have said that interviewers like to discuss your research if you've done some, so it makes for a great opportunity to sound like you know what you're talking about ;)

In any case, if you hook up with the right PI, research can be an amazing learning experience--much better than volunteering, and oftentimes, even more educational than shadowing.

Oncology is great. Very dynamic field with a huge tie in to bettering the lives of others. Ehh...attempting to "cure" cancer always looks nice.

Oncology is great. Very dynamic field with a huge tie in to bettering the lives of others. Ehh...attempting to "cure" cancer always looks nice.

Even better if it's little kids with cancer.

They look for research that you really care about. Not just something you are doing just to get into med school. Follow what interests you. You could do psych research that is biologically/medically relevant. That's actually what I do.