Do medical schools look down on classes that were taken online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amber032

Reaction score
I'm doing my 1st year of undergrad school at a community college, then transferring to a 4-year university. The community college offers in-class lectures and online classes.
1) Some of the online classes are live, where the professor is live on video and so are the students.
2) And the other online classes are pre-recorded where the professor prepares material ahead of time at the begining of each week and the student can study at their own pace as long as they finish the assignments each week.

The online classes I want to take is the 2nd option (pre-recoeded classes and study/complete assignments at your own pace each week) because my schedule is so busy and I'm working full time and it'll save me a lot of time in driving and I can work around my work schedule. The online classes would be Pre-calc and English. I'll be taking biology lab in person (for obvious reasons) but also have the option to take the lecture portions online (if I did the lecture portions in person, the lectures are on different days than the lab anyway).

Do medical schools look down on go-at-your own pace online classes? Or is it only the "important" ones (math & science)? Do they look down if the majority of them are online? Or does it look better to do only a few online or none at all (if you have the option to go in person)?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm doing my 1st year of undergrad school at a community college, then transferring to a 4-year university. The community college offers in-class lectures and online classes.
1) Some of the online classes are live, where the professor is live on video and so are the students.
2) And the other online classes are pre-recorded where the professor prepares material ahead of time at the begining of each week and the student can study at their own pace as long as they finish the assignments each week.

The online classes I want to take is the 2nd option (pre-recoeded classes and study/complete assignments at your own pace each week) because my schedule is so busy and I'm working full time and it'll save me a lot of time in driving and I can work around my work schedule. The online classes would be Pre-calc and English. I'll be taking biology lab in person (for obvious reasons) but also have the option to take the lecture portions online (if I did the lecture portions in person, the lectures are on different days than the lab anyway).

Do medical schools look down on go-at-your own pace online classes? Or is it only the "important" ones (math & science)? Do they look down if the majority of them are online? Or does it look better to do only a few online or none at all (if you have the option to go in person)?
I'm still new to this community, but what I have learned is that the MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements) is beneficial for seeing what some med schools require for their curriculum. You should be able to find a free MSAR pdf online and it will have whether the schools accept CC or online courses. It specifies if the schools require labs for the courses as well. Hopefully this is helpful!

Reactions: 1 users

Welcome! While there are plenty of others on here who will be able to steer you in a more specific direction, it has been my observation that some medical schools will consider online coursework if labs (e.g., O Chem I and II) are done in-person. It has certainly happened in the past, and that applies to both MD and DO schools. What's important to bear in mind is that adcoms take a host of factors into consideration when determining whether or not you are suitable for their specific program.

Some MD schools will not consider online coursework at all, but at least 50+ MD programs don't care. My school list will be around 30 MDs that accept online lab courses.

DOs generally don't seem to care at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Courses (online or not) should be done with a US/Canadian accredited institution. Over the last decade or so, "reputable" US institutions have dived into the online course space, and the pandemic accelerated this more as many programs have resource constraints (not enough professors, not enough lab space, for example).

All of the online or hyrbid classes I've taken are listed exactly the same on my transcript as every other class. If your institution does the same, there's no point in worrying about it unless a specific secondary asks.

Reactions: 3 users