what kind of research helps for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would having a paper that's submitted for publication help me get into residency? Or does the paper have to be atleast in press for it to help me? I will be submitting a paper soon, but I don't think it will be accepted by the time interviews roll around.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

everything helps.
It might help more if it's already published, but what you have sounds good.

everything helps.
It might help more if it's already published, but what you have sounds good.
Hi, do you think a top 10% class rank without publication will outweight a 2 paper publication with a class rank around top 20% in getting interview for university level IM?

Last edited:
Hi, do you think a top 10% class rank without publication will outweight a 2 paper publication with a class rank around top 20% in getting interview for university level IM?

strange question

No one single factor will help you get into residency but everything you do will only enhance your chances. It also depends on what the program is looking for. I was doing research and did not get to publish,but programs were still interested in knowing all about the study I was doing and a couple of them told me to let them know whenever I publish if it was sometime before Feb.(ROL) so,a few of them do care about publications more than others. The important thing is they want you to be able to explain whatever you are doing very clearly during the interview. I'm not sure about being called for interviews though-again depends on the program I guess,but you can mention in your CV that it has been submitted for publication.

I don't think there is much difference between top 10% and top 20% of a med school class. Some schools don't even rank that way. Some just have top 25%, top 50% bottom 50%, etc. Having AOA is definitely a plus, b/c residency programs like to brag about how many AOA students they have. However, it also matters somewhat where you go to med school. Top 25% at a top 5 med school or one known to have a stiff grading policy likely trumps top 25% at a little known med school, one known to have more lax grading.

I don't agree...published is better but submitted is better than nothing. Also, if the folks @the residency know the lab and/or PI the person has worked with, they are likely to know whether or not the publication is going to get published or not. All publications are not created equal either...one in a real academic journal is better than in some throw-away local or regional journal.