what kind of watch did you wear on your MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nassir

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to wear a watch where I can see the amount of time that passed (like a stopwatch) so I don't have to worry about clearing it or adding/subtracting time. I already have one but it beeps when you press the "go" button. Is this allowed? It's not like it will beep during the test, just right when they say "turn the page". Any suggestions?

*confused*

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that they don't allow digital watches anymore, and definitely nothing that beeps. I'm going to borrow an analog watch and set the time to 12:00 before each section, which makes it easier to keep track of how much time has passed.

hlchess said:
I heard that they don't allow digital watches anymore, and definitely nothing that beeps. I'm going to borrow an analog watch and set the time to 12:00 before each section, which makes it easier to keep track of how much time has passed.

Wow that's exactly what I was planning to do.

hlchess said:

what the heck? no digital watches?? ughhh :mad: i was going to bring my old trusty casio, but i guess i'll have to dig up mickey mouse and bring him along too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since when can't you use a digital watch? In april that was allowed...it just can't beep or make ANY kind of noise whatsoever. If yours beeps then look at the manual on how to disable it...some of them can be disabled. If that doesn't work you can open the watch and "neuter" it...you cut one of the little wires and the beeping is gone forever. No going back. Im not sure which wire, ask around someone has to know how to do that. Get one with a stopwatch! You don't want to have to do more math just to see how much time is left.

My Kaplan instructor mentioned that too.

Even digital watches may not be allowed. Unfortunately, it sounds more like rumor than anything else because I can't find that to be the case on the AAMC website....

It'll probably be luck of the draw. You might get a nice proctor who doesn't care or you might get a particularly anal one.

Mister Pie said:
It'll probably be luck of the draw. You might get a nice proctor who doesn't care or you might get a particularly anal one.

I really doubt that this would happen (banning of digital watches). I think many people wear digital watches and this ruling by the AAMC would show preference of people taking the MCAT with analogue watches over mcaters with digital watches!!! :mad:

I am bringing my digital watch to my testing center damnit, and I hope that the proctor isn't an ass...

Make sure your digital watch also doesn't have a calculator thing on it. Those types aren't allowed, but as long as it doesn't make noise, it's fine.

Digital watches are allowed, This is an excerpt from the AAMC "MCAT Essentials"

• A watch to help pace yourself during the test. You may not set watch alarms or other timing devices to go off during the test since this would be disturbing to others. Watches cannot have advanced functions such as calculators or cameras. No other timing devices will be allowed.

before each section you set the time to 12 oclock. That way you can easily see how much time you have used since at 1 you know it has been 1 hour. It is done instead of having to add 75 min to 8:37 start time.

BrettBatchelor said:
before each section you set the time to 12 oclock. That way you can easily see how much time you have used since at 1 you know it has been 1 hour. It is done instead of having to add 75 min to 8:37 start time.

gotcha

Another thing you can do with your clock is set it at 10:20. When it gets to 12:00 that's 100 minutes. Our proctor for a diag suggested using that technique.

G'luck all!!

BrettBatchelor said:

Whoa, This is an Excellent IDEA Brett!!! :thumbup:

That's a good idea. I use the 12 o'clock strategy, but used to get mad as I never knew what the actual time was. I guess I will just take another watch in next time :rolleyes: :hardy:

do we have to wear the watch? can we just set it on our table?

does it have to be a watch? can it be a timer that doesn't make noise?

gujuDoc said:
You can just set it on the table and that will be fine. However, silent timers are NOT ALLOWED!!!!!!!!! They also give an unfair advantage that others who follow the rules don't have, if a proctor becomes lenient. So I'd just stick to bringing two analog watches. One watch you should set to 12 o'clock before each section to make determining how much time you have left easier to do. The other clock you should keep if you want the real time.
So no Digital Timer like they use to allow even though i cut the sound wire? Thats freaking stupid.

gujuDoc said:
Yup. No digital timer allowed. It should say what is and isn't allowed on your MCAT ticket, if you've received it.

Also, the MCAT instructions manual tells what is and is not allowed.

I bet the stupid *****s who didnt cut the sound wire caused annoyning beeps during the test, so they barred them.

badsha said:
I bet the stupid *****s who didnt cut the sound wire caused annoyning beeps during the test, so they barred them.

yea there's all ways someone that has to ruin it for the rest of us....