what kinds of grades do you have to maintain after you've been accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAman10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing pretty badly in one of my classes because interviews have been consuming my time/life. Actually, I'm not doing badly at all- I'm right around the average, but with my prof's weird curve, the average is like a C.... if/when I'm accepted to med school, what kinds of grades do I have to maintain in order to avoid getting my admissions rescinded. would a C kill me? This is just a weird professor, and I feel like doing average in one course shouldn't be grounds to get admission rescinded or anything, but you never know. If I were to withdraw from this course and get a 'W', would this be an even worse option? My gpa thus far is above 3.9, so academically i've been strong in the past and figured this wouldn't hurt me to do badly in one course. but recently my friend told me that I cannot get a C... is this true? I'm kinda scared now...

Edit: I've never gotten a B in college, so getting a C would make them be like "wtf?? this guy must really be slacking off"... I really don't care anymore if I get a C, as long as admissions wont get rescinded lol, or if I'd at least have the option to explain it if it ever became an issue

Members don't see this ad.

In the acceptance packet UVA sends out, they say if you get a C you must give them a written explanation, and a D will result in your admission being re-evaulated

Not sure if that's representative of other schools though.

Well I feel ya...I'm sort of in the same situation. I literally couldn't manage to keep up with all of my classes while traveling/interviewing and my grades are going to suffer. I would like to think that if you pull a "B," that wouldn't be any issue. A "C" may require a letter accompanying your transcript explaining your situation. However, since your grades have been solid up to this point, I'd like to think you would be cool. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't need the class to graduate, why not just take the W? No GPA harm, and probably easier to explain than a C.

It's highly dependent on the school. I had a couple C's (I REALLY slacked off) and neither school I was accepted to said a single word about it.

I'm in the same situation. Most schools specify what they would like to see. From what I understand, if you can average C's in your senior year classes, and you've finished prereqs, you shouldn't have any problems. Worst case, you have to explain why you didn't do too hot. You should easily be able to do this considering you aren't slacking off and you actually missed a lot of school. I know I have worked harder this semester than I ever imagined and I'm hovering around a B---

If you don't need the class to graduate, why not just take the W? No GPA harm, and probably easier to explain than a C.

No! Don't do this! You will most likely have to explain a W on your transcript and you explaination will be you were going to get a bad grade. If you are already accepted, you probably won't have to explain anything higher than a D.

Your best bet is to contact the schools you are accepted to and ask.

That being said, most schools will not blink an eyelash at a B but the sudden appearance of any D's or F's, is not going to fly. C's are a grey area. I think some schools just don't bother to check or really care that much but other schools require some sort of explanation. Tread carefully. You have worked too hard to jeopardize an acceptance being rescinded.