"How long have you been a resident of your state?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc1014

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm not sure how to answer this question. I lived in my state from infancy until 11 years old, moved elsewhere, and came back at 18 for college and have been here ever since. Would I select 10+ years as that's the total or 3-5 years as that's when I moved back?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm not sure how to answer this question. I lived in my state from infancy until 11 years old, moved elsewhere, and came back at 18 for college and have been here ever since. Would I select 10+ years as that's the total or 3-5 years as that's when I moved back?
Moving to a state for the purposes of attending college does not usually change your official state of residency status for the med school applications.
Example:
1.You are attending college in Texas but your parents live in Kansas and you lived there with them since age 11: you are a Kansas resident.
2. Your parents also moved to Texas with you when you began college: you are now a Texas resident.

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Moving to a state for the purposes of attending college does not usually change your official state of residency status for the med school applications.
Example:
1.You are attending college in Texas but your parents live in Kansas and you lived there with them since age 11: you are a Kansas resident.
2. Your parents also moved to Texas with you when you began college: you are now a Texas resident.
My parents are also back in my state and I'm receiving in-state tuition at my undergrad school. I definitely think I count as in-state, I'm just not sure how many years to say.

Reactions: 1 user
My parents are also back in my state and I'm receiving in-state tuition at my undergrad school. I definitely think I count as in-state, I'm just not sure how many years to say.
As far as how many years, I believe they are looking for how long you have lived there since you moved back. I also don't think it really matters all that much (for this purpose, anyways) so I wouldn't worry about whichever one you go with.

However, with moving back specifically for college, i'd just make sure you read up on whatever state regulations your schools abide by, make sure you meet them, and then prepare all documentation to prove it. I was in almost the exact same situation as you receiving in-state tuition etc and still initially got denied in-state residency at one of my state schools I applied to (they even cancelled my interview, it was a nightmare). Had to appeal it and provide lots of paperwork to get that decision changed.

As long as you meet the regulations for your state, you should be okay, just be prepared to prove it (and hopefully it's not necessary, but better safe than sorry).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as how many years, I believe they are looking for how long you have lived there since you moved back. I also don't think it really matters all that much (for this purpose, anyways) so I wouldn't worry about whichever one you go with.

However, with moving back specifically for college, i'd just make sure you read up on whatever state regulations your schools abide by, make sure you meet them, and then prepare all documentation to prove it. I was in almost the exact same situation as you receiving in-state tuition etc and still initially got denied in-state residency at one of my state schools I applied to (they even cancelled my interview, it was a nightmare). Had to appeal it and provide lots of paperwork to get that decision changed.

As long as you meet the regulations for your state, you should be okay, just be prepared to prove it (and hopefully it's not necessary, but better safe than sorry).
They canceled your interview?? Over that?! That's wild, can I ask which school that was?

They canceled your interview?? Over that?! That's wild, can I ask which school that was?
I won't say it publicly because in a weird twist of events it's the school i'm going to be attending in the fall :rofl:

I'll shoot you a DM about the whole scenario and how I solved it though in case it comes up for you.

Reactions: 2 users