What kinds of research projects do Interns do during residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You don't have to go in depth, but what sorts of contributions do you make in research? The Intern I'm working under right now is working with me on this large chart review project and it seems like she's doing the busy work medical students are expected to do. Is this what usually occurs? If we are well read in our field enough to know some gaps, can we write our own IRBs and do our own chart reviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don't have to go in depth, but what sorts of contributions do you make in research? The Intern I'm working under right now is working with me on this large chart review project and it seems like what what medical students are supposed to do. Is this what usually occurs? If we are well read in our field enough to know some gaps, can we write our own IRBs and do our own chart reviews?
Yup! At most institutions you need a faculty member to be the PI for a project, in which case you find someone vaguely interested in whatever area you want to research, propose the plan (under which you agree to do all the IRB paperwork, data abstraction, and abstract/manuscript writing), and then get to work. Sometimes you can latch onto a project with an organized PI where you might have a more limited, directed role, but all of my research projects since college have been me doing pretty much all the grunt work, and using my PI more for help refining ideas and processes. Having fellows, residents, or med/college students do a lot of the grunt work is super normal.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have time to work on research as an intern you might be getting short shrift on patient experience.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have time to work on research as an intern you might be getting short shrift on patient experience.
Nah, that's what electives are for. And if you're hoping to finish something significant by fellowship applications at the end of second year, you really should be getting started on something while you're an intern (whether it's a case report or review article to get your feet wet, or the IRB application for a bigger project).

Reactions: 1 users
Nah, that's what electives are for. And if you're hoping to finish something significant by fellowship applications at the end of second year, you really should be getting started on something while you're an intern (whether it's a case report or review article to get your feet wet, or the IRB application for a bigger project).
Bear in mind that ACGME allows only a max of 3 months of research electives in a 3 year residency. And it’s unlikely that one would fit those all in before 3rd year starts.

Case reports and reviews really aren’t worth losing sleep over as an intern. Better to focus on learning good clinical medicine during that time and do research stuff in ones spare time as a pgy2 or pgy3.

If you have a really interesting case (especially with nice images, histo, etc....and talk to your faculty to make sure it is interesting), then go for a case report. Case reports can be quick (500-1000 words....that's basically your HNP + a more elaborate discussion, with references). Not hard to do, not hard to publish, you just have to have an 'interesting' enough case.