What looks good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As probably everyone who is applying this year, we are all worried about getting in. I am worried just as much as the person next to me. I just recently completed my BS and have a 3.42 overall. HOpefully, I am taking some extra Post Bacc science courses that will raise it to a 3.50 overall. I have been working at the local Children's Hosp for the last 4 months and have volunteered this year. Not only have i done that,but I also help my mom out with her OB/GYN stuff. Kind of sick but someone has to do it!! Plus, I have helped coached volleyball the last 3 years and other sports as well. The doctor I shadow says he will write a letter of rec for me and I have been shadowing a good 4 months with him. What do you all think I should do to increase my chances or what shouldn't I do to hurt myself? thanks a million to those who respond!!! :) :D

Members don't see this ad.

You certainly seem to be on the right track. I would keep volunteering at the hospital, and continue with the other involvements as well, namely the DO shadowing and the coaching. Just make sure that you are getting some patient contact at these places and that you are not just running around doing chores for the medical staff. After all, it isn't where you volunteer that matters as much as what it is that you actually do there. And make damn sure that you do well in the post-bacc classes; you GPA seems competitive but the higher you can raise it the better, of course.
And, finally, good luck! :)