What makes a good dermatologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crosseyed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone provide insight on the skills needed for private practice dermatologist?

Is this a "high-procedure" specialty?

Specifically, non-cosmetic private practice dermatologist...

Members don't see this ad.

Derm in private practice probably can't be considered a "high-procedure" specialty-----definitely includes procedures, thus the high pay. Can anyone provide specifics ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any derm residents or dermatologists available to respond?

Current derm resident.

Basics are needed of course - good foundation of knowledge, procedural skills (biopsies, excisions, since these are where you'll be doing a lot of your billing), empathy, bedside manner, etc.

Perks - Business savvy, understanding of how to code and bill properly, or just a good business partner/group

Derm is "high-procedure" in the since that you biopsy a lot and if you like the surgical side, you can choose to do a lot of your own excisions or procedures (vs. sending out to surgery, plastics, etc.). Other samples of "procedures" that you bill for beyond the basic office visit - cryotherapy, intralesional steroid injections, acne surgery, etc. Alternatively, you can also choose to do very few procedures and still have a viable, but likely lower-income, private practice.

Thanks for the response. For the most part, these are skills that one can learn during residency and not expected to be proficient before applying, correct?

What kind of person goes into Derm?

Personality?

Thanks for the response. For the most part, these are skills that one can learn during residency and not expected to be proficient before applying, correct?

You will likely do a biopsy or two as you do Dermatology electives/rotations. As a med student, med/derm knowledge is more important.

You are trained during residency.

The skills of a good "doctor", first and foremost are required. You will acquire the hands on skills needed for a dermatologist during your residency.

Depending on what you wish to do, make sure you will have ample training in things like laser and botox at the programs you look at in the future. It will only make you better.

Yeah. Thanks for the response.

I am still trying to understand why the best and brightest go into dermatology...

I'm applying now but for what it's worth I'll tell you why I decided to go into Derm. I thought all of the different specialties were somewhat interesting during 3rd year but didn't find any one clinical area that I felt passionate about. What I had learned was that I was interested in research and medical education so from that point it was a matter of determining what specialty fit the best to pursue those interests. From what I've seen so far, Derm gives you a lot of flexibility. Whether you want to go into private practice or academia, the fact that you aren't tied to a pager or stuck in the OR all day allows you pursue whatever floats your boat. Having the best and brightest in Derm is a major selling point as well, sort of a vicious cycle in a way. I have met some really interesting people in Derm, not necessarily because they are famous, but because of what they do outside of work.

I'm applying now but for what it's worth I'll tell you why I decided to go into Derm. I thought all of the different specialties were somewhat interesting during 3rd year but didn't find any one clinical area that I felt passionate about. What I had learned was that I was interested in research and medical education so from that point it was a matter of determining what specialty fit the best to pursue those interests. From what I've seen so far, Derm gives you a lot of flexibility. Whether you want to go into private practice or academia, the fact that you aren't tied to a pager or stuck in the OR all day allows you pursue whatever floats your boat. Having the best and brightest in Derm is a major selling point as well, sort of a vicious cycle in a way. I have met some really interesting people in Derm, not necessarily because they are famous, but because of what they do outside of work.

I think that is one of the major reasons students decide to go into Derm...flexibility and lifestyle seem to be big selling points