What makes a good letter of reference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedeviledegg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My PI is very busy, and she actually told me to write a "very very very good" letter for myself so that she can use it as a basis to write the final letter. For me, this feel very awkward, but at least I'm not writing the letter entirely for myself. What kind of things do you guys think I should include? Any good sample letters?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My PI is very busy, and she actually told me to write a "very very very good" letter for myself so that she can use it as a basis to write the final letter. For me, this feel very awkward, but at least I'm not writing the letter entirely for myself. What kind of things do you guys think I should include? Any good sample letters?

Thanks!

Use this to your advantage. You have a lot of influence on how your letter will turn out. You want the letter to highlight all your accomplishments in the lab and how you stood out among your peers and even past students (since the PI is writing this).

Please read this thread if you want more information on the Letter of Recommendation:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13697615#post13697615

Thanks!

Basically the best thing that your recommender could write about you is, "Out of X many undergrads that have worked for me, he/she is the absolute best, yada, yada, yada (anecdotes)." It's weird to write about yourself, but adcoms like comparisons to other people who have been in your shoes.

Explain why your many accomplishments make you an excellent fit for med school. I don't think it's enough just to say that you did all sorts of awesome stuff. You need to also fit it into your potential as a doctor. Conscientious? Creative? Show it off.