What makes a good LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drjwalt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question...what do you guys think makes a good LOR for medical school? What do they like to see in a LOR that will make an individual stand out?

drjwalt

Members don't see this ad.

Something that goes beyond the typical LOR. Usally, if you have really impressed somebody and they really really like ya. Then, you will probably get an above average letter. This professor, doc, etc.. will not only talk about your academic achievements, but also talk about you a person and in great detail. And, they will usually try to convince this adcomm by listing reason why you would be a good doctor. In a nutshell, a really good LOR will make you sound and look so good that the adcomm will feel stupid if they do not give a consideration on admission or interview. But, alot of other factors play in your acceptance. Just find somenone who really knows you well, and if possible, someone that is well known. good luck.

Find people who know you really well... not just a random professor from a class you took. I know that it's hard to get three or four letters from profs who know you well. If you have at least one really GOOD letter from a prof that will say awesome things about you, I think it will kind of make up for average letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with the other posters here - the letter writer has to know you, beyond your work together. i can't tell you the hundreds of crappy recommendation letters I have read, from the typical premeds asking the organic chem professor to write a letter, that basically says "So and so was in my class. s/he got an A. s/he was #2 out of 215 students. s/he will be a good physician." To think how much time that premed spent running around, worrying, trying to get a letter...only to get that sh$# thrown to a committee...it just ain't right...

When I ask for recommendations, I ask the letter writer, "Can you write me a GOOD letter of recommendation? (though I can't define what GOOD is, they often can because they have gone through hoops to get to where they are now, and know what's involved)" If they say no, and I REALLY want them to write a letter, I ask them what they are concerned about -- i.e. do they need to meet with me a few times to get to know me, do they want a personal statement, a resume/CV, something...or do they just maybe not write letters.. If they say no and I really don't care either way, i find somebody else.

Hi all,

I'm in sort of a conundrum here -- I've been in a lot of science classes where the students have number sixty or more, and I haven't really gotten to know the professors at all. Though I have done well in all these classes (A's) I don't know how to approach these professors to ask them for letters. I haven't done any research either. :( What can I do?

I asked my recommenders what kind of letter they thought they could write for me! I told them I really wanted their honest opinion because I needed outstanding comments and couldn't afford anything less. I told them to really let me know NOW before they wrote it, if they didn't feel they could do that. (I was applying for a teaching position at a community college at the time) At the interview, the person interviewing me read the lor's and then handed them to ME to read!!! I was so excited to see what my prof's REALLY thought of me. My letters seemed to fall into two catagories. The first set were the ones that said things like.....she was first in her class....blah, blah, blah. Mostly facts and performance based. The second set was entirely different! They said things like...""she" despite having a family of her own devotes countelss hours to her students above and beyond the call of duty", and "her optimism and faith in these students is nothing short of remarkable". Obviously, the letters that landed me the job were the second set!!! You really want letters that address the intangables because lets face it....most of us have done well in the academic/performace area. It's those OTHER qualities that are being looked for! Ask your recommenders if they can address those "intangable qualities" because THOSE are the important ones!

The above posters have made some good points.

In addition, it never hurts for your LOR-writer to implement the little known adjective "Mother-Theresa-like":D