What makes you keep coming back to SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Med students, physicians in training, Adcoms, and doctors, what aspects of SDN keep you here?

Btw, thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Med students, physicians in training, Adcoms, and doctors, what aspects of SDN keep you here?

Btw, thank you all!
WHy? do you own the website? or thinking about buying it?

I like helping pre-meds become med students; helping med students succeed; getting the perspectives of other Faculty and Adcom members, and learning more about GME.

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I contribute as well as receive a good bit of information here. I have learned volumes about pre-health stuff just in the short time Ive been here.

Reactions: 1 user
I come because sometimes I miss reading about the sky falling, and the doom and gloom for DOs. Also, to gather info that might be important and relevant for my success lol.

Reactions: 2 users
For the memes

Reactions: 5 users
Im only here to prep for my app. Im absorbing a lot of info from premed, adcoms, med students, physicans ect for interviews. After picking a school ill probably stay on the medical school anki subreddit for step 1.

Next come back here for rotation advice and MATCH then post smart things in r/medicine as a resident.

After a few years ill make an AMA in the preallo forum that will be over 10 pages long.

Reactions: 4 users
I don’t have friends or family who understand the process so I find it here.

Reactions: 8 users
1. I like to keep my finger on the pulse of what medical students are worried about that they might not be able to tell me in person.
2. I enjoy reading the perspectives of physicians in other fields.
3. I believe in paying it forward. I never got any of the advice I’m currently giving on my AMA, and I’m hoping somebody will benefit from it. I’ve gotten some very nice private messages from people who say that I help them. That’s enough for me.

Reactions: 8 users
People outside in the real world are too chill. I need the pressure and neuroticism of SDN to survive.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I came here trying to seek as much information as possible about the whole "Premed" process and getting into med school. I stayed for the memes and...um...well the uh...

6DRf.gif

1. There is essentially zero premed advising on my school. I never would have made it to med school without SDN.
2. To attempt to learn enough to help people the same way others helped me.

Reactions: 5 users
Because my advisor was clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed when she told me to retake my intro to biology course because I got a B. As an applicant, I use the school-specific forums daily to gauge where they are with applications. Also, information is key because without SDN, I probably would have sent my primary into AMCAS in September like my friend.

It’s also a cool social platform for like-minded individuals

I came here to help out someone close to me who is a reddit user. There is so much misinformation out there - this person trusted me to get the "right" info from SDN. I went to med school in the Mesozoic Era and became fascinated by both what has changed and what has not changed. I try to help out where I can, if only to support, and also to encourage reddit users to come here for advice.

Reactions: 1 users
Came here in college when I was thinking about going to medical school. Decided against it for a variety of reasons but inevitably circled back around. I love hearing the opinions and experience of others who have been in my shoes and have found so much support through undergrad, MCAT and finally the app cycle. I don't have any pre-med friends in real life, so it's great to have a sounding board that allows me to be a little anonymous too.

Passing time for med school to start and trying to pay it forward and help people with the process

I came here to help out someone close to me who is a reddit user. There is so much misinformation out there - this person trusted me to get the "right" info from SDN. I went to med school in the Mesozoic Era and became fascinated by both what has changed and what has not changed. I try to help out where I can, if only to support, and also to encourage reddit users to come here for advice.
Same! But I also want to become a famous SDN celebrity like @Goro when I grow up

Edit: was talking to other premeds at my university and when someone brought up Goro, every knew. This is the kind of street cred that I want to have lol

Reactions: 6 users
Same! But I also want to become a famous SDN celebrity like @Goro when I grow up

Edit: was talking to other premeds at my university and when someone brought up Goro, every knew. This is the kind of street cred that I want to have lol

There is something rather fun about being an anonymous celebrity. My daughter's (now ex-) college boyfriend was rather amazed and impressed to learn that there was a reddit thread speculating as to the identity of LizzyM.

I came here to learn more about medical school interviews (before I did my first one as an interviewer). I found the forum and felt bad that some folks were working with so much misinformation and having unsuccessful cycles due to strategic errors. I offered some advice, including my homespun analogies to staircases, zits, courtship and athletics. Like Alzheimer and Parkinson, what I'm best known for might be better known than I am.

I keep coming back because I like helping people become medical students, I like sharing my insider knowledge, and the entertainment value, particularly the fun puns, are worth the price of admission.

Reactions: 13 users

I have fulfilled my destiny!!!!:D

Reactions: 7 users
SDN filled in the gaps for me. I'm not from the best background and my premed advisors were only familiar with the basics, so there was still a lot I had to learn. Much of the whole app cycle was cleared up by browsing SDN and help me manage my expectations throughout the year. I've been active on and off for about 5 years so it's been nice to see how others progress and PM some members too!

I have a love-hate relationship with the school-specific threads, but I love how they made a nebulous process at each school all the more transparent. Plus the memes were great - like Wayne State's.

For some reason I feel myself having psychology faux friendships with the people on here that post very regularly. I mean, I've been here for only a month but I still feel unconscious feelings of friendship to some members despite not knowing their names, what they look like, how old they are, etc......

It's super creepy when you think about it. Some psychologists have explained that it's the same reason that some people feel like they are friends with favorite youtuber/celebrity and it's also a psychological reflection of real-life friendships dying out in our technology riddled modern era. Having friendships is essentially a psychological necessity.

There is something rather fun about being an anonymous celebrity. My daughter's (now ex-) college boyfriend was rather amazed and impressed to learn that there was a reddit thread speculating as to the identity of LizzyM.

I came here to learn more about medical school interviews (before I did my first one as an interviewer). I found the forum and felt bad that some folks were working with so much misinformation and having unsuccessful cycles due to strategic errors. I offered some advice, including my homespun analogies to staircases, zits, courtship and athletics. Like Alzheimer and Parkinson, what I'm best known for might be better known than I am.

I keep coming back because I like helping people become medical students, I like sharing my insider knowledge, and the entertainment value, particularly the fun puns, are worth the price of admission.

You told your daughter's (ex) college boyfriend that you were LizzyM? An awesome scenario would have been if he was a premed and searched SDN and reddit all the time for advice only to find out later that he in fact knew the great LizzyM.

Sorry for the derail everybody, continue as you were.

For some reason I feel myself having psychology faux friendships with the people on here that post very regularly. I mean, I've been here for only a month but I still feel unconscious feelings of friendship to some members despite not knowing their names, what they look like, how old they are, etc......

It's super creepy when you think about it. Some psychologists have explained that it's the same reason that some people feel like they are friends with favorite youtuber/celebrity and it's also a psychological reflection of real-life friendships dying out in our technology riddled modern era. Having friendships is essentially a psychological necessity.

Yeah but the YouTube and celebrities don’t actually answer you. So at least there’s that... haha

I felt somewhat close to some people in the Pharmacy forums after a while down there. Its a brave new world up here though. Lol

Went to a small liberal arts school. Was the *only* person in my *entire class* to be applying to medical school. Our premed advisor was horribly negligent and bought into some shill selling SGU. Found SDN while researching whether SGU was a terrible idea or not. SDN saved my professional life from extinction before it started, and now at an M2 at a solid DO school & grateful that SDN exists to save students from the predatory practices of Caribbean programs. I'm here to pay it forward, because seriously **** the Caribbean preying on the naive or not competitive

You told your daughter's (ex) college boyfriend that you were LizzyM? An awesome scenario would have been if he was a premed and searched SDN and reddit all the time for advice only to find out later that he in fact knew the great LizzyM.

Sorry for the derail everybody, continue as you were.

He was her boyfriend of 2+ years at the time and he was not, nor would he ever be, pre-med. Just not his jam. It was pretty much just a LOL moment over dinner.

Last edited:
Went to a small liberal arts school. Was the *only* person in my *entire class* to be applying to medical school. Our premed advisor was horribly negligent and bought into some shill selling SGU. Found SDN while researching whether SGU was a terrible idea or not. SDN saved my professional life from extinction before it started, and now at an M2 at a solid DO school & grateful that SDN exists to save students from the predatory practices of Caribbean programs. I'm here to pay it forward, because seriously **** the Caribbean preying on the naive or not competitive

Desperation sells. And there are some very desperate pre-meds out there.

He was her boyfriend of 2+ years at the time and he was not, nor would he ever be, pre-med. Just not in his jam. It was pretty much just a LOL moment over dinner.

The fact that he was impressed with a thread speculating your identity made it pretty obvious he wasn't a premed lol (although he could have also not been interested in premed forums). I just thought it would have been a cool scenario.

The fact that he was impressed with a thread speculating your identity made it pretty obvious he wasn't a premed lol (although he could have also not been interested in premed forums). I just thought it would have been a cool scenario.
I mean I think the medical world celeb aspect would be impressive in and of itself

Ah, so you're saying your daughter may be single? Hmmmm

Edit: Sorry, just trying to make a light-hearted joke.

Last edited: