What makes you special? (Secondary Q)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johndoe3344

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to approach this.

I did a search and it seems that some people took it to mean "Name an experience (or experiences) that you had that makes you seem unique."

But I can also see answering in terms of personal qualities, i.e. "I am special because... I like to help people," etc. (well, something not so cliched, but you get the idea)

I was thinking of doing the latter, and then using a short narrative to back up those personal traits. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

I really don't have any experiences like... going to <insert-random-country-here> and helping those people <insert-charitable-action>, or discovering <insert-amazing-discovery> or something like that.

Is there another approach you guys are taking?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how to approach this.

I did a search and it seems that some people took it to mean "Name an experience (or experiences) that you had that makes you seem unique."

But I can also see answering in terms of personal qualities, i.e. "I am special because... I like to help people," etc. (well, something not so cliched, but you get the idea)

I was thinking of doing the latter, and then using a short narrative to back up those personal traits. Is there anything wrong with doing that?

I really don't have any experiences like... going to <insert-random-country-here> and helping those people <insert-charitable-action>, or discovering <insert-amazing-discovery> or something like that.

Is there another approach you guys are taking?

It's basically a variation of "Tell me about yourself and your qualifications."

Members don't see this ad :)
So... how exactly did you approach it?

Not any differently.

Just respond to it as if they had asked "tell me about yourself and your qualifications" and you're good. Don't tell weird stories or tales of some heroic feat because most of us don't have that at a young age.

So you're saying that I'll be good with the whole personal qualities thing?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I know friends that wrote the essay based on things like "I'm special because of..." a specific incident. For example, "I'm special because I went to Nepal for a year to study abroad, and I learned all about their culture."

I don't have such a defining experience, so I'm trying to talk about personal qualities instead, and I was wondering whether that would be okay as well.

So you're saying that I'll be good with the whole personal qualities thing?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I know friends that wrote the essay based on things like "I'm special because of..." a specific incident. For example, "I'm special because I went to Nepal for a year to study abroad, and I learned all about their culture."

I don't have such a defining experience, so I'm trying to talk about personal qualities instead, and I was wondering whether that would be okay as well.

Whatever you do, do not answer the question with "I'm special because...." It sounds weird and like something out of grade school.

I'd stick with the standard essay and write something like "I believe that I am specially qualified for a career in medicine because...."

Whatever you do, do not answer the question with "I'm special because...." It sounds weird and like something out of grade school.

I'd stick with the standard essay and write something like "I believe that I am specially qualified for a career in medicine because...."

:rolleyes: That's so cliche

I'd open with "The reason why Superman should be jealous of me is because ..."

It's an open ended question and yes talking about personal qualities are acceptable

:rolleyes: That's so cliche

I'd open with "The reason why Superman should be jealous of me is because ..."

It's an open ended question and yes talking about personal qualities are acceptable

Yeah, maybe. But an essay should be both focused and serious. You have only so many words to convince the committee of your qualifications. You didn't go through years of school just to talk about some obscure event that has nothing to do with your drive to become a doctor. You also don't want to be too facetious that it comes across as immaturity, especially when first impressions count for a lot.

i should have put up some sarcasm flags

i should have put up some sarcasm flags

Nah, there's a time and place to be facetious like on an Internet forum, but the application process is like a very long job interview and you want to come across as a professional whenever you can.