What matters more in a part-time job? Length or hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a first year student at a Canadian university, and I'm planning on applying to US med/dent schools. I was wondering if the hours worked matter more than the length of time that I worked at a particular job? If this is the case, would then, for example, it be fine if I worked at a job for only a few months but accumulated a few hundred hours? Or would adcoms assume I haven't committed enough to the job since I only worked there for a few months, despite the large amount of hours?

Sorry if my question sounds confusing...

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm a first year student at a Canadian university, and I'm planning on applying to US med/dent schools. I was wondering if the hours worked matter more than the length of time that I worked at a particular job? If this is the case, would then, for example, it be fine if I worked at a job for only a few months but accumulated a few hundred hours? Or would adcoms assume I haven't committed enough to the job since I only worked there for a few months, despite the large amount of hours?

Sorry if my question sounds confusing...

Thanks for the help

What kind of a job is this? A research job? If so it'd probably mean more in terms of length and also productivity (did you actually do something or did you autoclave and PCR things you didn't even know for 2.5 years).

If this is some other job unrelated to biomedical sciences or medicine and is something like food service then I think what will be considered is how many hours you were working per week in order to determine how it may have affected your academics in undergrad.

I'd never suggest committing to anything just for a few months to accumulate hundreds of hours. Medicine requires both large amount of hours and is (and you know this already) a lengthy, lengthy process so I think that commitment is more impactful when you participate for a long period of time.