Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
723
22
Status
I was wondering...I took the MCAT in July 2nd, but I am taking it again in August...I think i bombed verbal and i would rather have med schools wait on my mcat score from my August 14th exam (and thus wait for September 14th)

1.) What are your thoughts on this?

2.) Should I put down August 14th, 2009 as my MCAT date or should I put down July 2nd, 2009? Im not sure what to do

3.) Even if I put down August 14th, will med schools view that July 2nd 2009 score EVEN though I put down August 14th, 2009 on the primaries?

4.) I put down my less competitive schools right now and will add the more compettiive ones in mid-August after I take the August 14th MCAT and if I get a better feel on verbal, this will basically determine whether I might add some Ivies or not to the list. What are your thoughts on this decision?

Thanks guys.
 

Cro

lulz
Apr 18, 2009
54
0
Florida
Status
Pre-Medical
Tough call but I would wait until I got the July 2 score before I did anything. No matter what you do here you'll be applying relatively late in the cycle (depending on whether or not you end up using the later MCAT). Honestly it's a bit hard to give an opinion without the actual MCAT score and breakdown.

Someone else may be able to give you a better perspective than me.
 

lvjd820

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
10
0
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm kind of in the same situation. My pre-med advisor told me to just put down the first MCAT date on my application, and if I'm not happy with the score then I can add the 2nd MCAT date to the application later. Either way though, the schools will see your July score if you did not void it (you're supposed to list all the MCATs that you've taken that are applicable). Since you're not applying early, you can hold off anyway on the higher reach schools. Hope that helps.
 
OP
Transformers

Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
723
22
Status
but I dont get it, why not just put the August date...I hear you get secondaries without evaluation of the MCAT, so whats the big deal if I put the August date?

Im just worried I truly BOMBED verbal and that its just best for these schools to wait until my best mcat score....i mean woul di be affected taht much since I would still get SECONDARIES??

thanks.
 

umass_md

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2006
118
0
out of my mind, ma
Status
Medical Student
but I dont get it, why not just put the August date...I hear you get secondaries without evaluation of the MCAT, so whats the big deal if I put the August date?

Im just worried I truly BOMBED verbal and that its just best for these schools to wait until my best mcat score....i mean woul di be affected taht much since I would still get SECONDARIES??

thanks.
it has been my experience that schools will not consider you complete until your most recent MCAT score is released regardless of what you put on their secondary or your amcas application (i retook the MCAT in september last year). amcas will communicate that you are signed up for another test. for example, i think it is BU that has a question specifically asking if you'd like your application to be considered before the new score comes out, and they still did not consider my application until october. i asked umass to consider my application in august and they would not. imo, you should declare all the schools you intend on applying to now and start on their secondaries as soon as possible. it really is to your advantage to begin the secondaries early. if you haven't already done so, i would sign up for the august mcat today to ensure you have a seat, and, if you're happy with your score on 8/4, you can withdraw. you would lose the $200+, though.
 
OP
Transformers

Transformers

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2007
723
22
Status
OK, but GUYS, SHOULD I DECLARE AUGUST MCAT now....my point is:

1.) I just dont want some of these top 20 med schools to see a bombed July MCAT and not give me secondary...unless every school offers secondary; i am aware some screen but i am not applying to those med schools. So basically you're saying that its my advantage to at least get all the secondaries before I submit them right?

2.) If I decide to ADD all the schools right now and LIST the AUGUST MCAT on my AMCAS (I dont get this business of telling amcas to wait until a later date because you only select ONE MCAT on the primaries), would this be the best approach...

Overall, my fear is that, sure I should have voided my july score, and I dont want some of the more compettiive schools to view that and reject me off the spot, but rather wait for my august mcat. Not sure what to do.

Thanks.
 

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
13,088
318
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OK, but GUYS, SHOULD I DECLARE AUGUST MCAT now....my point is:

1.) I just dont want some of these top 20 med schools to see a bombed July MCAT and not give me secondary...unless every school offers secondary; i am aware some screen but i am not applying to those med schools. So basically you're saying that its my advantage to at least get all the secondaries before I submit them right?

2.) If I decide to ADD all the schools right now and LIST the AUGUST MCAT on my AMCAS (I dont get this business of telling amcas to wait until a later date because you only select ONE MCAT on the primaries), would this be the best approach...

Overall, my fear is that, sure I should have voided my july score, and I dont want some of the more compettiive schools to view that and reject me off the spot, but rather wait for my august mcat. Not sure what to do.

Thanks.
IMO, if you are signed up for an August date, you should indicate that on your AMCAS.
 

umass_md

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2006
118
0
out of my mind, ma
Status
Medical Student
OK, but GUYS, SHOULD I DECLARE AUGUST MCAT now....my point is:

1.) I just dont want some of these top 20 med schools to see a bombed July MCAT and not give me secondary...unless every school offers secondary; i am aware some screen but i am not applying to those med schools. So basically you're saying that its my advantage to at least get all the secondaries before I submit them right?

2.) If I decide to ADD all the schools right now and LIST the AUGUST MCAT on my AMCAS (I dont get this business of telling amcas to wait until a later date because you only select ONE MCAT on the primaries), would this be the best approach...

Overall, my fear is that, sure I should have voided my july score, and I dont want some of the more compettiive schools to view that and reject me off the spot, but rather wait for my august mcat. Not sure what to do.

Thanks.
yes, you should declare the august mcat now. you can enter more than one mcat date on the primary. enter the august mcat date under the "next mcat" function (i believe). either way, schools are going to see your july mcat scores no matter what you do.

if you're not applying to schools that screen, why are you scared some won't send you a secondary? it is best to begin them early.