What MCAT scores do I need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtremblay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Although this is my first post on this forum I've been lurking around for a while. I'm taking my MCATs end of May and I was wondering what scores I need to get into top-tier/mid-tier and maybe even low-tier schools.

cGPA: 3.98
sGPA: 3.97

EC (very brief list):
- 4 year NCAA athlete (football, 40+ hours a week during season, ~20 hours a week in the offseason)
- over 150+ hours of volunteering (mostly mentoring with kids)
- over 100+ of shadowing (one orthopedic doctor and one sports medicine doctor)
- 2 years of research in organic chemistry (including 40 hrs/week over one summer)
- Studied in Oxford, England last summer
- Multiple awards and biology/honor society members

I know this is a brief list but I'm just looking for a rough score of what I should be shooting for on my MCATs. I've been studying for 2-3 months now and my most recent practice test (3 weeks ago) was a 30. I'm sure if I actually learn those physics equations and organic chemistry reactions I can bring it up.

Thanks a lot!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys! Although this is my first post on this forum I've been lurking around for a while. I'm taking my MCATs end of May and I was wondering what scores I need to get into top-tier/mid-tier and maybe even low-tier schools.

EC (very brief list):
- 4 year NCAA athlete (football, 40+ hours a week during season, ~20 hours a week in the offseason)
- 2 years of research in organic chemistry (including 40 hrs/week over one summer)

I know this is a brief list but I'm just looking for a rough score of what I should be shooting for on my MCATs. I've been studying for 2-3 months now and my most recent practice test (3 weeks ago) was a 30. I'm sure if I actually learn those physics equations and organic chemistry reactions I can bring it up.

Magic # is 27... anything 30+ and you've probably punched a ticket in.

For MD, you can get a rough idea of past success for applicants by looking at my sticky in this subforum.

Is your only clinical exposure from your shadowing? You will look pretty deficient compared to fellow applicants if that's true

Members don't see this ad :)

EC (very brief list):

Your high GPAs allow you extra wiggle room on your MCAT, especially if you are interested in a D.O (seeing as you shadowed one, I figure there's a chance of that). If you get at least a 30, you can feel very confident about your chances at low-tier MDs (although, as mentioned above, you could def. use some clinical volunteering), although you can probably still have a good shot with a score only in the high 20's. For mid-tiers, low 30's. For top-tiers, mid-30s at least. For D.O.s with your GPA, I have to think a 24 would be enough - certainly you're safe by the time you reach 26 or 27.

You need some clinical volunteering bro

Yeah as a college athlete it was really hard to commit to an organization. But I'm going to begin scribing in a few weeks if that means anything.

Your high GPAs allow you extra wiggle room on your MCAT, especially if you are interested in a D.O (seeing as you shadowed one, I figure there's a chance of that). If you get at least a 30, you can feel very confident about your chances at low-tier MDs (although, as mentioned above, you could def. use some clinical volunteering), although you can probably still have a good shot with a score only in the high 20's. For mid-tiers, low 30's. For top-tiers, mid-30s at least. For D.O.s with your GPA, I have to think a 24 would be enough - certainly you're safe by the time you reach 26 or 27.

Thank you! I took my second FL yesterday and got a 31. I'm not done with my studying yet but I'm starting to feel a little more confident with the material on the MCAT so hopefully I can get to the mid 30s!

I'm going to begin scribing in a few weeks if that means anything.
It's better to start gaining clinical experience before you apply, as whatever you can list on your applicatioin is better than none. You should probably also send in periodic update letters (where permitted) about added hours in the hope of swaying adcomms positively in their consideration of your file.