• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Rbrav

15+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello. I'm a 3rd-year med student pretty darn sure I want to do pathology. I have to set up my 4th-year schedule soon, and I want to take a month off to interview at residency programs. When do most residencies hold interviews? If it matters, I'll mostly be applying to programs in the southeast US. Thanks!

Circumflex

10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
November and December are the busiest for interviews, but they can start in October and extend into January. It depends on when your application is complete (all of the components submitted/uploaded to ERAS) and the dates that the different programs hold interviews. Get your letters of rec. in early - the sooner your application is complete, the sooner you get invites, and can schedule your interviews.

moodydoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I thought it was good to shoot for the middle of the interview season. As my advisor put it: too early and you are fogotten, too late the program has already decided.

I also found that if you arrange it between Thanksgiving and Christmas you can end up with a huge amount of time off.

About the Ads

DarksideAllstar

you can pay me in bud
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2001
West of the Haight
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I scheduled cake rotations (ie ones where they don't expect you to show or don't care if you need to take time off to interview) in November and December (and also January, but I was done interviewing by then). It worked out because I didn't have to use vacation time, and now I'm finishing up in mid-March. Talk with some current 4th years at your school about some of these hidden gems.

Gene_

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I scheduled cake rotations (ie ones where they don't expect you to show or don't care if you need to take time off to interview) in November and December (and also January, but I was done interviewing by then). It worked out because I didn't have to use vacation time, and now I'm finishing up in mid-March. Talk with some current 4th years at your school about some of these hidden gems.

Exactly. Why would you want to waste your vacation on interviews? You're applying to pathology and won't be interviewing at more than 10 programs, unless you're completely neurotic or applying only to the so-called "top programs." Take days off from your rotations to interview.

ermonty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
The Octagon @ Mandalay Bay
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I did the same. Now I'll have at least 3 months b/t medschool rotations and starting residency. A good way to go - to say the least.

E-Mo

yaah

Boring
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
As an alternative viewpoint, I took my vacation months in July (so I could travel, visit family, and then do an away rotation far away) and in december and january. I did most of my interviews in november and december, and spent the rest of the time relaxing. It was much less stressful to be able to schedule my flights when it was most convenient or cheapest, to perhaps spend another day in a city I wanted to visit, or to spend a few extra days driving. Then i went back to rotations from february to may. I may have ended late but I was happy.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.