This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chaseafterthedream

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking around for a bit but made this account to get some advice from you all as I'm driving myself crazy with worry. I applied back for the 2016 cycle but got no interviews. I am positive that it was because of my GPA has I had a really tough transition to college and ended up being academically withdrawn from my university. I went to community college for a year, then transferred to a different university to finish up my undergrad. While I did better this time around, I still struggled with some of my classes (specifically Organic Chem) and had to retake them. Because of this I applied and got into a Masters program, where I've excelled significantly more than undergrad. Now I'm trying to strengthen my application as much as possible for this coming cycle and would love any advice you all can give!

My stats:

Science GPA: 2.73
Undergrad GPA: 2.54
Graduate GPA: 3.9
Overall GPA: 2.77

DAT Score
PA-18, QR-17, RC-20, BIO-18, GC-16, OC-18, TS-18, AA-18

Shadowing: 500+ hours

Positions: President of Undergrad Dental Club- 1 year. Social media coordinator for grad school science club- 1 semester

Ect:
Dental Assistant for 2 years in undergrad and I just started a new job in another office
I volunteer every week for 4 hours at a low-fee dental clinic since October (more hours/week before the new year)
I've done two Dental Brigades to Honduras while in undergrad
I'm listed as a Co-Author on a research paper my Organic Chem Prof. published.
I was a TA this past year while in graduate school.
I worked 4/5 years of undergrad

I'm already planning on retaking my DAT (for the 3rd time, I rushed the 1st) at the beginning of July and will submit my application without it on June 1st. What more could I feasibly do to show admissions counselors that I'm dedicated to this career and that I'm not going to give up?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the dat for sure....other than that you've done everything you can

I think you'll need a 22+ DAT in AA and TS to even get noticed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job with turning things around! Definitely retake the DAT and shoot for nothing below 20. 22+ is ideal.

I agree that the DAT should be your first priority given the rest of your application. It looks like you have everything else. Like a game, the DAT is something anyone can do well on with enough dedication. If you learned some biology in your Masters program, that should help on your DAT. Best of luck

Your GPA makes people doubt youre academically inclined. Then your DAT / 16 in Chem kind of solidifies that. You need to retake the DAT so that it shows some academic prowess.

Your DAT scores are below average DAT of accepted applicants. I would aim for a 21+ AA on the DAT. Could you elaborate more on the masters program and the classes you took?

Good job with turning things around! Definitely retake the DAT and shoot for nothing below 20. 22+ is ideal.
Thank you! I've grown a lot over the years and being withdrawn my first year has actually been the best thing that's happened to me.

Your DAT scores are below average DAT of accepted applicants. I would aim for a 21+ AA on the DAT. Could you elaborate more on the masters program and the classes you took?
Sure! I got my masters in Biomedical Sciences so I took genetics, cell biology, biotechnology, developmental biology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, and bioethics. My current DAT scores are 2 years old so they don't reflect my graduate program. I'm worried about taking the DAT because it'll be my 3rd attempt (the first I rushed and wasn't prepared for). But I also tend to do better in do-or-die situations.

Sure! I got my masters in Biomedical Sciences so I took genetics, cell biology, biotechnology, developmental biology, biochemistry, immunology, microbiology, and bioethics. My current DAT scores are 2 years old so they don't reflect my graduate program. I'm worried about taking the DAT because it'll be my 3rd attempt (the first I rushed and wasn't prepared for). But I also tend to do better in do-or-die situations.

I wouldn't worry too much about your GPA at this point. Just focus on retaking the DAT, and you should be able to land interviews and acceptances.

Good Luck,
DOC YANKEM

bruh the DAT should be ez $ after getting 3.9 average in those classes

Well I did it. I retook my DAT this morning and am pretty happy with the results.

PAT: 20, QR: 18, RC:21, Bio: 17 (upset about this one but it's only down one point from last time and I got a bunch of plant questions which I didn't really study, not much to do about it now), GC: 19, OC: 19, TS: 18, AA:19.

I was shooting for in the 20s to help boost my chances but I'm still pretty happy. Especially since I went up in everything but bio. Thanks for all the advice given here! I rescheduled this test due to advice from here about not taking it if I didn't feel ready and I'm glad I did. My app will be submitted this weekend and I'll be joining the waiting game! Wish me luck!

Reactions: 1 user