What neuro tools do you REALLY need?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdarksideofthemind

Reaction score
So obviously the school is going to tell me that I need the deluxe kit from their bookstore that has seven tuning forks. But what neuro tools do you actually need for M3 rotations?

I have a penlight, pocket eye chart, reflex hammer (Tromner), cotton swabs, and paperclips. Obviously need some tuning forks. Anything else? I don't want to have so much stuff I need a whole 'nother bag to hold it all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So obviously the school is going to tell me that I need the deluxe kit from their bookstore that has seven tuning forks. But what neuro tools do you actually need for M3 rotations?

I have a penlight, pocket eye chart, reflex hammer (Tromner), cotton swabs, and paperclips. Obviously need some tuning forks. Anything else? I don't want to have so much stuff I need a whole 'nother bag to hold it all.
128 hz tuning fork is the only one you really need as a student. I use nothing other than my ADC 128 Hz fork, MDF all-metal tromner, safety pins, eye chart, penlight, and occasionally my opthalamoscope but not frequently. Do not buy the bookstore one. If you're interested in neuro I can give you some actual recommendations of specific ones

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes please! Hoping for neuro residency so I want to do well this block and get some tools that will last.
I'll PM you. I'm applying this year and am currently in my 4th neuro block so I've gotten a lot of good advice so far

Zero honestly. I only pulled out my reflex hammer when the attending wants to see the physical exam done in front of them. Just don't volunteer to do any neuro exams and you will be fine.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Zero honestly. I only pulled out my reflex hammer when the attending wants to see the physical exam done in front of them. Just don't volunteer to do any neuro exams and you will be fine.
I mean he wants to do neuro so that’s usually not ideal

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
As a med student you will probably be expected to have a reflex hammer on neurology. Tuning forks are a pain but probably expected as well.

As a neurosurgery resident the only tool I care about is a sturdy, bright penlight.

All you need is a set of eyeballs

You don't really need a tuning fork. I mean, if you're really interested in neuro and want to show up prepared and ready to go, then tuning fork would be nice. Just 1 is necessary. Otherwise, totally fine to just have a reflex hammer and penlight ready. Nothing else really needed. If you're with the resident most of the time, they usually carry around a bag with tons of neuro stuff in it during/before rounds. It's kind of how you can identify the neuro residents.

I used my tuning fork and reflex hammer on peds and fam med rotation as well. Actually come to think of it, I’ve used the Reflex hammer on almost every rotation.

Depends on the specialty, but as an FM resident I have been REAL glad to have tuning forks the couple of times I've needed them for patients presenting to the office with acute hearing loss. Obviously if you're doing ortho or OBGYN that's not your problem, but certainly valuable for PCPs
Really good for assessing neuropathies/diabetic feet as well