what next?

Started by Maurizio
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maurizio

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,

I am currently finishing up my Ph.D. in mechanical engineering and am interested in applying to med. schools in the future. I have to take a couple of pre-reqs before I apply (this should take about a year). My question is, while I'm taking my pre-reqs, and during my glide year, should I look for a job in industry or look for a post doc position? which will adcomms like more? I think they both have advantages and disadvantages but my feeling is that the extra research experience (specifically if it is in a biomedical topic) may help more.

The main thing I'm worried about is being labeled a professional strudent 😱 . I don't want it to appear that I am just hopping from one degree to another. I should also mention that I'll be 31 when I finish my Ph.D. and 33 when I start med school, so I don't really want to take to much time between grad school and med school to work (at least no more than the 2 needed to finish my pre-reqs and apply)

Thanks for taking the time to help 👍