What not to do during interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DET0897

DET
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tis' the interview season, and I thought I would share some obvious (or not) things that I have heard said, or seen done that will drop your rank like a sack of hammers.

1) Do NOT claim you are the best at anything.

" I'm pretty much the best golfer in Kansas"
"At my home institution I am known as the 'A-line King', you know, cuz I'm the best at em"

2. Do NOT make yourself too comfortable

Applicant puts on the white coat and sits in the chair of a prominent staff member and proclaims when the interviewer arrives "Yeah, this is where I see my self in a couple of years".

3. Show some interest (personal story)

I was so unimpressed with one program that I ducked out during the tour, got to my car, and sped out of town at 10AM without interviewing.

4. Be careful what you say to other applicants since you will probably see them again along the way

Me: "Hey I saw you at XXXXX program. Could you believe that guy who wore tennis shoes with his suit and asked (insert dumb question here)."

That guy: "Um, I think I asked that question"

Me (looking down now): "oh, um...nice tennis shoes"

Good luck, have fun. It's only 4 years of your life.

Members don't see this ad.

Adding things I've heard-from-reputable-sources/seen:

-- Don't bring your father to the interview day.

--Don't bring your mother to your pre-interview dinner.

--Don't talk constantly about how much better your home institution is. It doesn't demonstrate how "well-trained" you are, it just makes you seem uninterested.

--Don't cuss out the program coordinator and think it won't get back to the program director.

I think the biggest no-no that is more common and that any of us can succumb to is yawning. That happened a couple times during interviews (not mine)at my last rotation and it was all that the interviewers talked about the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
What if you really are the best at something?

Should Michael Phelps say he's an OK swimmer :laugh:

at a pre-interview dinner last year, one of the applicants brought her boyfriend and they pretty much made out at the table and ignored everyone there. that didn't score a lot of points (with us, anyway).

at a pre-interview dinner last year, one of the applicants brought her boyfriend and they pretty much made out at the table and ignored everyone there. that didn't score a lot of points (with us, anyway).

It depends. Was she smoking hot?

Do show up in a cool and gimmicky t-shirt such as this:

RE6TWTELME7BFDXMDY94_L.jpg