What % of applicants get their 1st choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moola

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
What % of people get their first choice, or within their first three choices? The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting a couple of interviews from good places but I got to admit that it sometimes is intimidating seeing lots of AOA gunners on otomatch.com from Ivy League Schools and more publications than I got fingers. Being non-AOA from a non-Ivy school is kinda making me think that I'm getting some these interviews by the skin of my teeth and by ranking these hotshot schools (UIowa, Emory) as my top choices are just setting myself up for disaster. I hope to get within my top 3-5 but nothing's a sure bet. Just what are the odds usually of placing withing the top 1, 3 and 5 if anyone has any stats at all?

Thanks and godspeed on interviews.

Moooooooola

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what the % is for 1-3, but don't rank based on where programs will rank you. Rank programs on where you where you would like to be. If you go to the program that you ranked last, YOU STILL GET TO BE AN ENT WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH RESIDENCY. That said, don't feel all special just bc/ you got an interview at certain places. The key to not getting matched is acting like you own the place during the interview.

Getting interviews seems completely random, with some geographically considerations. For example, I really wanted to interview at Emory and South Carolina. I got no interviews at those places but got 'views at Hopkins and Iowa.

Getting interviews seems completely random, with some geographically considerations.

I defintely agree with that. Geography seems to be the only consistent aspect of interviewing in ENT. I was from an East Coast school and got lots of interviews from other schools out there, but only got a few from the West which is where I wanted to go and fortunately did.

What Would I Do Without You Guys? U Guys Rock?

Moooooooooooooola