What other residencies are close to EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently volunteering in an ER and like it very much.

I am curious if there are other residencies or specialites that offer the possible excitement of the ER and other aspects. No call (mostly), no rounding, shifts, lifestyle, etc.

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts from those that have done years 3 and beyond.

Members don't see this ad.

No call? PM&R? Shift? anything with a hospitalist? Lifestyle? anything with Benjamins?

Seriously, don't do it (completely) based on what you will do when you aren't at work, because you're still at work 25-40% of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
No call? PM&R? Shift? anything with a hospitalist? Lifestyle? anything with Benjamins?

Ugh. I did a PM&R elective. It was the worst month of my life (okay, maybe not the worst) -- But it certainly was the most freakin boring! Plenty of Money and Relaxation? More like Pretty Mundane and Repulsive. Definitely not for me :)

Basically, I want excitement and the chance to handle acute situations without excessive rounding or call.

Once I am an attending, I would like to come to work for 40-50hrs max, work and not sit around wasting time, and then go home to life.

Critical care seems too slow for me. Too much downtime. I think anes would be cool but the hrs are longer than what I want. Hospitalist, I think may be the most similar in terms of shift work and lifestyle. Not sure about acute care though.

I have and do shift work and like working nights and holidays over longer set work hours.

I work in a hospital and have shadowed some docs so I have some clue about the different specialties. Just not alot and I have not seen some like PM&R but it sounds boring to me based on what it entails.

Thanks, you guys and gals! Just curious if there is something out there that I might have overlooked or not know about.