What other schools have PBL track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know LECOM does but what other D.O. schools offer this option?

Members don't see this ad.

UMDNJ-SOM also has a small PBL program. I have heard that this may not exist next year though (unknown until curriculum finalized).

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ-SOM also has a small PBL program. I have heard that this may not exist next year though (unknown until curriculum finalized).

West Virginia
Ohio

I've heard that PNWU's second year will be PBL'ish

Just curious to know if any of the MD schools are offering this too?

NYCOM and penn state both offer PBL.

Texas Tech - El Paso (Foster School of Medicine) is offering a modified PBL. This is their first year.

Just curious to know if any of the MD schools are offering this too?

SIU in Springfield has an exclusively PBL curriculum.

Just out of curiosity--I get the impression from reading some threads here that some people think PBL is a bad thing. Is there any particular reason in terms of academic outcome? Or is it mainly just personal preference?

Thanks,

Compiling and adding:

1. LECOM - Bradenton, Erie (and Seton Hill campus via LECOM-E)
2. WVSOM
3. OUCOM
4. NYCOM
5. UMDNJ-SOM also has a small PBL program. (only six students)
6. Penn State has some PBL in the curriculum. http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/curriculum/index.html?from=prospective
7. PNWU's second year will be PBL'ish
8. Drexel

Since no one at PNWU is a second year yet, it is hard to tell how well the PBL segment will be received, but I think the goal of making it "PBL'ish" is to make the program a "middle ground" so that those who abhor PBL will not be punished, but those who enjoy it will get a lot out of it. The impression I get however is that it is very much supplementary to the core curriculum.