What path should I take

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am reaching a point where I have to make a pretty big commitment and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing that won't set me up for failure. I am

I attended a special high schoo in Texas for my junior and senior year (starting and ending fall 2019-spring 2021) I got dual enrollment for all of my classes. I have since then graduated and attend university out of state, and will be able to graduate by later summer of 2023. Because of a combination of COVID and in general trying not to tank my grades, I have not really done much research, but I am now going to be doing full time microbio/biochemistry research over this summer, and summer of 2023, as well as some undergrad research during the school year. Once I graduate, I will be about 19, and I really want to take 2 gap years to give myself a buffer.

I am facing a lot of pressure from my family about what I will do during my gap years, and I am really leaning toward joining Americorps for a year and doing clinical volunteer work full time. However, my family thinks that this wouldn't be as valuable as doing a master's or something, but I really dont know whether doing something like that is for me. therefore, my current plan is to join Americorp in august of 2023 until August of 2024, and then whatever I do after that will probably be some local clinical job in my home town (I have already discussed this job with a clinic I am in contact with) while applying to matriculate into med school in 2025. Do you think spending an entire year in Americorps will hurt my chances in getting into med school? Should I be placing my time toward higher education or research? I am fully aware that Americorps might keep me from doing much during my gap year, but I figured the clinical experience would be worth it.

I have also had some uncertainty whether I should just stay in school for 3 years instead of 2. I really don't think I have it in me to add a minor (currently just majoring in biology), but I am worried I will not be able to effectively use the 2 years I have. Furthermore, because of a lot of the executive positions I have worked for took a year to earn, I am worried that being an executive for just 1 year may look poor on my part.

I have listed some of my stats/extracurriculars from high school (it was at a university)

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Asian

2019-2021:Multicultural organization, Event Coordinator (2020-2021)- 150 ish hours, raised over 500 dollars through an event and also created a local multicultural magazine.
2019-2021:Feminist organization, Outreach Director(2020-2021)- 100 hours
Shadowing (2021)-50 hours with an opthamologist ( i plan on doing more this year to a total of 150 by 2023).
Education Service organization (2019-2020)- 40 hrs- taught locally disadvantaged kids in school

At my current university ( most of these I will no longer do after 2023).

Online Teacher (Spring 2021-present)- 200 ish hours so far- I volunteer virtually by teaching students english in foreign countries. After the takeover of Afghanistan, I was also contacted by a learning center coordinator I worked with prior to the takeover, and he personally wanted me to teach an all girl's class in Kabul especially since education has been restricted there now. This is one of my extracurriculars I will probably never stop because its been really rewarding and I can do it without being associated with a certain school.
Club Hockey (Fall 2021-present)- I may also become an executive for the club
Heart health organization- (Fall 2021-present)- (23 hrs clinical volunteering) We provide info and resources to homeless people in our city and also check peoples blood pressures and perform other clinical tasks. I was offered a position for being executive in this organization as well (which I will begin in fall). I expect to ge tot at least 200 hours by my graduation.
undergrad TA- (fall 2021-present) (20 hrs)- volunteer TA for genetics
Undergrad research (summer 2022-Summer 2023) (approximating about 200-300 hrs)
A Capella group (Spring 2022-Present) I just do this for fun/its not competitive, I might not include it in my application.

?potential opportunity—Crisis center volunteer (summer 2022-Summer 2023)- Was contacted and yet to hear back again from a crisis center in my county about being an on call volunteer for suicidal and depressed people as part of the crisis hotline in my county.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, and my current overall gpa is about 3.92. I am unsure which of my classes count or do not count as science, but I do know that my science GPA is lower as I got non A's only in premed classes ( a B in chem 2 and orgo 2 and an A- in orgo 1). I plan on beginning studying for the MCAT this summer and taking it in January 2023, and if it doesnt go well, then I also plan on studying during my time in Americorps. I am shooting for a 515 minimum

Members don't see this ad.

Americorps is a much better choice than a Master's.
Hi, I really appreciate your response. Is there a specific reason for Americorps being better? I am really paranoid that my application is lacking in some aspects, especially in research. Is one year that I dedicate to research enough? or should I attempt to do research alongside americorps or just do research full time after I graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Peace corps, americorps, Fulbright (i know one girl from my school who got this without a ton of research) would all boost your chances by the most.

Clinical research would also look good.

Masters isn’t really great but could be okay in this case since the OP may need more rigor and or maturity considering the alternative higher education background

Imo, full time clinical volunteering is the worst choice because at some point it becomes excessive and med schools would wonder “how is avatararrow supporting himself/herself without getting paid.” then the logical jump is thinking “parents/family money must support avatararrow” which isn’t great imo in terms of impressing admissions committees. You can do this on the side.

Peace corps, americorps, Fulbright (i know one girl from my school who got this without a ton of research) would all boost your chances by the most.

Clinical research would also look good.

Masters isn’t really great but could be okay in this case since the OP may need more rigor and or maturity considering the alternative higher education background

Imo, full time clinical volunteering is the worst choice because at some point it becomes excessive and med schools would wonder “how is avatararrow supporting himself/herself without getting paid.” then the logical jump is thinking “parents/family money must support avatararrow” which isn’t great imo in terms of impressing admissions committees. You can do this on the side.
Sorry if I didn't word that correctly. I didn't mean to say that I would do full time clinical volunteering, I meant to say that I would like to do clinical volunteering in a role through Americorps (looking to be a clinic assistant in an underserved area). Would that come off as me having my parents supporting me? I assumed not since Americorps gives a stipend to its volunteers, and my parents are only paying for my college.

I thought doing Americorps would be rewarding for me personally, but I am really nervous about the fact that I will have only a year of research experience and likely no clinical research experience.

Sorry if I didn't word that correctly. I didn't mean to say that I would do full time clinical volunteering, I meant to say that I would like to do clinical volunteering in a role through Americorps (looking to be a clinic assistant in an underserved area). Would that come off as me having my parents supporting me? I assumed not since Americorps gives a stipend to its volunteers, and my parents are only paying for my college.

I thought doing Americorps would be rewarding for me personally, but I am really nervous about the fact that I will have only a year of research experience and likely no clinical research experience.
No it would not come across like that. I was only referring to a situation in which you only did clinical volunteering and nothing else. Sorry for the confusion

Hi, I am reaching a point where I have to make a pretty big commitment and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing that won't set me up for failure. I am

I attended a special high schoo in Texas for my junior and senior year (starting and ending fall 2019-spring 2021) I got dual enrollment for all of my classes. I have since then graduated and attend university out of state, and will be able to graduate by later summer of 2023. Because of a combination of COVID and in general trying not to tank my grades, I have not really done much research, but I am now going to be doing full time microbio/biochemistry research over this summer, and summer of 2023, as well as some undergrad research during the school year. Once I graduate, I will be about 19, and I really want to take 2 gap years to give myself a buffer.

I am facing a lot of pressure from my family about what I will do during my gap years, and I am really leaning toward joining Americorps for a year and doing clinical volunteer work full time. However, my family thinks that this wouldn't be as valuable as doing a master's or something, but I really dont know whether doing something like that is for me. therefore, my current plan is to join Americorp in august of 2023 until August of 2024, and then whatever I do after that will probably be some local clinical job in my home town (I have already discussed this job with a clinic I am in contact with) while applying to matriculate into med school in 2025. Do you think spending an entire year in Americorps will hurt my chances in getting into med school? Should I be placing my time toward higher education or research? I am fully aware that Americorps might keep me from doing much during my gap year, but I figured the clinical experience would be worth it.

I have also had some uncertainty whether I should just stay in school for 3 years instead of 2. I really don't think I have it in me to add a minor (currently just majoring in biology), but I am worried I will not be able to effectively use the 2 years I have. Furthermore, because of a lot of the executive positions I have worked for took a year to earn, I am worried that being an executive for just 1 year may look poor on my part.

I have listed some of my stats/extracurriculars from high school (it was at a university)

Sex: Male
Ethnicity: Asian

2019-2021:Multicultural organization, Event Coordinator (2020-2021)- 150 ish hours, raised over 500 dollars through an event and also created a local multicultural magazine.
2019-2021:Feminist organization, Outreach Director(2020-2021)- 100 hours
Shadowing (2021)-50 hours with an opthamologist ( i plan on doing more this year to a total of 150 by 2023).
Education Service organization (2019-2020)- 40 hrs- taught locally disadvantaged kids in school

At my current university ( most of these I will no longer do after 2023).

Online Teacher (Spring 2021-present)- 200 ish hours so far- I volunteer virtually by teaching students english in foreign countries. After the takeover of Afghanistan, I was also contacted by a learning center coordinator I worked with prior to the takeover, and he personally wanted me to teach an all girl's class in Kabul especially since education has been restricted there now. This is one of my extracurriculars I will probably never stop because its been really rewarding and I can do it without being associated with a certain school.
Club Hockey (Fall 2021-present)- I may also become an executive for the club
Heart health organization- (Fall 2021-present)- (23 hrs clinical volunteering) We provide info and resources to homeless people in our city and also check peoples blood pressures and perform other clinical tasks. I was offered a position for being executive in this organization as well (which I will begin in fall). I expect to ge tot at least 200 hours by my graduation.
undergrad TA- (fall 2021-present) (20 hrs)- volunteer TA for genetics
Undergrad research (summer 2022-Summer 2023) (approximating about 200-300 hrs)
A Capella group (Spring 2022-Present) I just do this for fun/its not competitive, I might not include it in my application.

?potential opportunity—Crisis center volunteer (summer 2022-Summer 2023)- Was contacted and yet to hear back again from a crisis center in my county about being an on call volunteer for suicidal and depressed people as part of the crisis hotline in my county.

I have not taken the MCAT yet, and my current overall gpa is about 3.92. I am unsure which of my classes count or do not count as science, but I do know that my science GPA is lower as I got non A's only in premed classes ( a B in chem 2 and orgo 2 and an A- in orgo 1). I plan on beginning studying for the MCAT this summer and taking it in January 2023, and if it doesnt go well, then I also plan on studying during my time in Americorps. I am shooting for a 515 minimum
It's funny this sentence reminded me of the book Three Cups of Tea

To answer your questions, I think you are getting really ahead of yourself. I wouldn't do Americorps if that's not where your heart/interests lie. If you want to teach, get a teaching certificate and teach. If you want to do medicine, do medicine. But don't do either one half-a$$ed.

Reactions: 1 users
No it would not come across like that. I was only referring to a situation in which you only did clinical volunteering and nothing else. Sorry for the confusion
Ok, thanks so much. And Sorry for the additional question, but do you think 1 year of research is enough to establish that I have experienced what research entails? I expect to get a recommendation letter as well from my PI, but I don't think I'll be able to present anything or get a publication

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, a few years ago on the interview trail at a T5 school when things were in person and there was more discussion between interviewees, the one person who wasn’t from an Ivy/Ivy equivalent did the peace corps. I would imagine americorps or teach for america are seen similarly

To answer your questions, I think you are getting really ahead of yourself. I wouldn't do Americorps if that's not where your heart/interests lie. If you want to teach, get a teaching certificate and teach. If you want to do medicine, do medicine. But don't do either one half-a$$ed.
Hi, I should have specified that I am teaching students virtually and do not want to pursue a career in secondary or primary education, and realistically, I want to teach medicine. Americorps is something I've wanted to do for ages just because I want to give back to my community.

Edit- Also, my main question is whether peacecorps is something that is beneficial to my med school application, because even though I really want to do it, if my application lacks in another department, I will be willing to work on that instead of doing such a massive commitment.

Reactions: 1 user

I believe your getting Americorps confused with Teach for America. Americorp is more volutuneering based, while Teach for America is for teaching in underserved areas

Hi, I should have specified that I am teaching students virtually and do not want to pursue a career in secondary or primary education, and realistically, I want to teach medicine. Americorps is something I've wanted to do for ages just because I want to give back to my community.

Edit- Also, my main question is whether peacecorps is something that is beneficial to my med school application, because even though I really want to do it, if my application lacks in another department, I will be willing to work on that instead of doing such a massive commitment.
Hi back. lol. There are multiple ways that you can give back to the community as a doctor, but you don't have to become a doctor in order to help people. Ay? No one is going to tell you that the Peace Corps will not help your med school application. Double LOL.

From what I read from your post, you are lacking in the volunteering department. Don't just do the Peace Corps or Americorps or TFA or whatever because you want to check a box on an application. Admissions committees have experience reading apps all day long and will see right through it. To me, it sounds like you are looking for an efficient way to knock your volunteering requirement out of the park. Peace Corps, Americorps etc. are not for the faint of heart. You have to really want to do these things in order to be successful at it, and it doesn't look good to drop out. That's what I meant by not doing it half-a$$ed.

In any case, your initial post does not have a "theme" or coherent narrative about why you want to do medicine. Don't try to craft one, bc adcoms will see through that too. Triple LOL. Just do what you're interested in and go from there.

Hi back. lol. There are multiple ways that you can give back to the community as a doctor, but you don't have to become a doctor in order to help people. Ay? No one is going to tell you that the Peace Corps will not help your med school application. Double LOL.

From what I read from your post, you are lacking in the volunteering department. Don't just do the Peace Corps or Americorps or TFA or whatever because you want to check a box on an application. Admissions committees have experience reading apps all day long and will see right through it. To me, it sounds like you are looking for an efficient way to knock your volunteering requirement out of the park. Peace Corps, Americorps etc. are not for the faint of heart. You have to really want to do these things in order to be successful at it, and it doesn't look good to drop out. That's what I meant by not doing it half-a$$ed.

In any case, your initial post does not have a "theme" or coherent narrative about why you want to do medicine. Don't try to craft one, bc adcoms will see through that too. Triple LOL. Just do what you're interested in and go from there.
Hi, again, in regard to your comment about a theme, I personally saw my application as being wanting to help others through activism (multicultural org, teaching, feminism club) but also my love for science. I didn't mention this in my original post but I did do some research in physics, and overall, I have been more inclined now to pursue science in a way that I can help people in a way that is more beneficial than just educating them or providing resources, something that can directly change lives (which is medicine to me). I have a couple of anecdotes from teaching students where there is only so much I can do, but through medicine, I can overcome limitations that I have experienced in other fields.

Also, I know I am lacking in volunteering, but its just an unfortunate set of events because of covid that its the case. americorps is just really exciting for me, I was actually considering peace corps (way more of a commitment) but chose to opt out just because I would have to take 3 gap years.

My main concern is research though. Would it come off as lacking if I do one year of semi-clinical (we are testing a drug and how it impact cancer cells) and only get a recommendation letter as tangible evidence of my work (a lack of presentations/publications), would that come off as too little to med schools?

Hi, again, in regard to your comment about a theme, I personally saw my application as being wanting to help others through activism (multicultural org, teaching, feminism club) but also my love for science. I didn't mention this in my original post but I did do some research in physics, and overall, I have been more inclined now to pursue science in a way that I can help people in a way that is more beneficial than just educating them or providing resources, something that can directly change lives (which is medicine to me). I have a couple of anecdotes from teaching students where there is only so much I can do, but through medicine, I can overcome limitations that I have experienced in other fields.

Also, I know I am lacking in volunteering, but its just an unfortunate set of events because of covid that its the case. americorps is just really exciting for me, I was actually considering peace corps (way more of a commitment) but chose to opt out just because I would have to take 3 gap years.

My main concern is research though. Would it come off as lacking if I do one year of semi-clinical (we are testing a drug and how it impact cancer cells) and only get a recommendation letter as tangible evidence of my work (a lack of presentations/publications), would that come off as too little to med schools?
I think u are good with the research. I wouldn't blame COVID for the lack of opportunities; they are there if you do some digging. PM me if you want more details.

From what it sounds like, it looks like you want to take two gap years. One for research and another for Americorps/Peacecorps. I think a year of research will suffice at most programs and I think the Americorps commitment is a good idea as well, idk where your confusion lies necessarily.

On a side note, nice profile picture. Sasuke is one of favorite Naruto characters lol

From what it sounds like, it looks like you want to take two gap years. One for research and another for Americorps/Peacecorps. I think a year of research will suffice at most programs and I think the Americorps commitment is a good idea as well, idk where your confusion lies necessarily.

On a side note, nice profile picture. Sasuke is one of favorite Naruto characters lol
I don't know whether I would want to do an entire extra year of research, I was thinking of just doing americorps (unless research is more important), but if you say the amount of research I will have done will be fine, then I think I'll just opt for americorps. Thanks!

Thanks lol, one of my other all time favorites is minato

I don't know whether I would want to do an entire extra year of research, I was thinking of just doing americorps (unless research is more important), but if you say the amount of research I will have done will be fine, then I think I'll just opt for americorps. Thanks!

Thanks lol, one of my other all time favorites is minato
I think you can’t go wrong with either. Pick whatever your more passionate about. I also highly recommend that you get some clinical experience beyond shadowing. I recommend volunteering at hospice over the weekends during your gap year if you want to get meaningful clinical experience.

Do Americorps.

I have a Master’s and Americorps experience. The latter was a formative endeavor, and I’m sure the reflection in my W/A entry added more to my app than my extra degree.

@gyngyn I received an Americorps award for the first two years of a job I had. I didn’t mention this in my W/A. For my reapp, does it add anything to name drop Americorps? If so, is squeezing it into the activity title enough? I don’t want to waste a sentence on it, but I also don’t want to miss out on whatever cachet it may have.

@gyngyn I received an Americorps award for the first two years of a job I had. I didn’t mention this in my W/A. For my reapp, does it add anything to name drop Americorps? If so, is squeezing it into the activity title enough? I don’t want to waste a sentence on it, but I also don’t want to miss out on whatever cachet it may have.
It belongs in your application.