I go to a 0-6 school that has a 10% acceptance rate and doesn't accept transfers. We take the PCAT or an equivalent exam as a competency test to see how well the school is doing at teaching us, but not for admittance. I think that there are a lot of people here putting down 0-6 schools with really no basis behind it.
A lot of the leading programs are 0-6, and if there are students graduating from HS and know that they want to go into pharmacy, why slow them down with some BS undergrad degree first? In 0-6 we had to take core classes but they were geared towards pharmacy, to help us in the future. If nothing else, it helps the profession. Sure students change their mind in the 6 years and drop out, but hey- who's complaining, less surplus!
All I know is that at 18 I knew I wanted to do pharmacy and law and that is enough school for me so I'll be damned if someone is going to sit here and say I should have wasted time doing something I didn't care about in undergrad just to get their approval.
It seems there are 2 types of 0-6 schools:
School #1: 0-6 schools that bring in transfers to replace drop outs
School #2: 0-6 schools that has low acceptance rate (10%??) to their professional years. (This is the one you're attending)
BTW, I totally agree, students like yourself can handle the work from the beginning, and don't need to be held back by getting a Bachelors. But what about your classmates who drop out but still wants to pursue pharmacy??
The reason I'm not in favor of 0-6 like programs is it can potentially breed cheating and harm the GPAs of students who are not really ready for this kind of competitive program. (Note: I'm not accusing you nor your program of cheating)
I was one of those students who transitioned poorly and struggled in a similar type of program in undergrad. We also had a 10% acceptance rate to the professional year. We started with around 240 to 300 students, and only 24 to 26 students were allowed into the professional year. The curriculum was set up where in 1 quarter, I was taking physics, biology, organic chemistry, and statistics for science majors. Long story shorter, the competition led to a great amount of cheating and sabotaging your lab partner's work so you can get up on the competition. (Not everyone was doing this, but a selected few was). It was really brutal. The program has changed where acceptances to the professional years is no longer exclusive to 240 to 300 students; it's now open to all of the school's undergrad students.
I honestly believe I can hack the work but just decided I didn't like the lifestyle of the profession and I got out of the program. Either you STUDY to death and only earn a B or C, and/or you get your hands on old professor exams and get an A regardless of you really learned the material or not (Test answers were different but the same type of questions asked). The tactic was to assure you get the A now and learned the material well or even better when a standardized exam is coming.
As you can tell I had a bad experience with these type of programs and they're really risky. Because of that, I do have just a little bit of pent up anger and yes, I'm bias.
Bottom line would you go to a 0-6 program where there is no guarantee you will proceed to the professional years or would you finish your bachelors, score high on PCAT, and have gained a certain level of pharmacy experience before getting into a 3 to 4 year pharmD program that is banking on you to succeed (because they can't replace you with transfers and wants you to get your pharmD so you can pay back your 150 to 200K loans); thus breeding a potentially friendlier learning environment??