What pen light do you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eye Understand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious as to which non disposable pen light anyone recommends for testing ocular movement (versions). I would like a "good" one.

Members don't see this ad.

It's a penlight. Get the cheapest one you can.
Agree. But make sure it has a narrow beam. You want all light pointing at one pupil and not spilling over to the other eye.

If you have an empty well on your stand, there's nothing better than the transilluminator.

Members don't see this ad :)
Use your transilluminator. If you don't have that yet (which I'm guessing you don't since you graduate in 2014), then just get a cheap penlight until you do get the transilluminator. Pointless to buy a nice penlight.

I would use your transilluminator. At least that's what the preceptors in my Clinical Methods I class recommends. They told us that if you're in a pinch, then you can use a pen light, but it's best to use your transilluminator.

I also just use my transilluminator. :thumbup:

Transilluminator it is, then. I have not purchased one of these as of yet; however, this seems to be the best option. I appreciate the feedback. :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, why do you need a penlight (or transilluminator for that matter) to test Versions? Do you test versions in the dark? :)

Unless you're talking pupils...

Transilluminator it is, then. I have not purchased one of these as of yet; however, this seems to be the best option. I appreciate the feedback. :thumbup:

Y'all haven't gotten your diagnostic kits yet??

About 50% of the class has gotten them so far, we had the option from several different distributors and they are coming in at different times. The clinical skills lab at PCO has diagnostic kits for us to use until then in every bay.

For pupils I would either use a transilluminator or a BIO light.

Out of curiosity, why do you need a penlight (or transilluminator for that matter) to test Versions? Do you test versions in the dark? :)

Unless you're talking pupils...

corneal reflections.